Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
[/quote]

No, shooting at something you BELIEVE to be a rifle that's pointed at you is NOT self defense. It's attempted murder, or murder if you connect.

[/quote]

Are you serious???? Ok so someone points a gun at you that has no firing pin........ and you shoot them in self defence. You would put them in prison wouldnt you. Hear hear campfire members. Calhoun wants you to inspect the gun, make sure its real, and make sure it has the evil bullets in it before you can fire back in self defence. Ok liberal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, I would discontinue the use of the current set-up to avoid getting shot. If I see someone pointing that set-up at me, and it looks like a gun, I will shoot back.

This is a gun? And you would "shoot back"? My question is, how the heck did this shoot AT you in the first place?

And if you shoot at this... how many birdwatchers have you shot at who have the huge lenses on their cameras?

"Honest judge, it was self defense! He pointed that shiny glass thing at me and I got so scared I wet my pants and HAD to shoot back!"

laffin... tough guy on the internet.
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Yes, I would discontinue the use of the current set-up to avoid getting shot. If I see someone pointing that set-up at me, and it looks like a gun, I will shoot back.

This is a gun? And you would "shoot back"? My question is, how the heck did this shoot AT you in the first place?

And if you shoot at this... how many birdwatchers have you shot at who have the huge lenses on their cameras?

"Honest judge, it was self defense! He pointed that shiny glass thing at me and I got so scared I wet my pants and HAD to shoot back!"

Allright buddy... Come to AZ and start whipping that around pointing it at hunters and the average AZ'n. There's a rifle stock there and its mounted like a scope-- dont be stupid -- its not a camera. Add some yardage and it looks like a rifle as the Warden in the story thought. Yea Im a tough guy on the internet. You showed your colors closet liberal.

Hopefully you're never on a self defense jury cause you'd put someone away for murder for defending themselves.

Next time when someone points what you believe is a gun at you, dont shoot back. Don't shoot back until the gun shoots at you.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by PhilinAZ

Are you serious???? Ok so someone points a gun at you that has no firing pin........ and you shoot them in self defence. You would put them in prison wouldnt you. Hear hear campfire members. Calhoun wants you to inspect the gun, make sure its real, and make sure it has the evil bullets in it before you can fire back in self defence. Ok liberal. [/quote]

Your reading comprehension suck...he didn't point a gun at him.

Like I said before, enjoy your time in prision. Well, that is AFTER school gets out. Letting kids out of school for lunch isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Last edited by tzone; 09/09/10.

Camp is where you make it.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by tzone [/quote

Are you serious???? Ok so someone points a gun at you that has no firing pin........ and you shoot them in self defence. You would put them in prison wouldnt you. Hear hear campfire members. Calhoun wants you to inspect the gun, make sure its real, and make sure it has the evil bullets in it before you can fire back in self defence. Ok liberal.

Your reading comprehension suck...he didn't point a gun at him.
[/quote]

... it was a hypothetical. Re-read

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yo Tzone...
Swung the spotting scope over to the object and there was a guy standing in some shoulder high brush looking at me with binoculars.

The moral of the story is don't point stuff that looks like a gun (like a spotting scope mounted on a rifle stock) at people, as people will shoot back at you if they perceive they are threatened.

Plenty of rifles out there with Hubble-Esq optics, and it would be way easy to confuse the two.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by tzone

Like I said before, enjoy your time in prision. Well, that is AFTER school gets out. Letting kids out of school for lunch isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Well, TZONE maybe after school you and your liberal friends can sit on a jury and put some self-defending citizens in prison. Like I said, come to AZ and point that rig at some people and see what happens... Man up. Share your story on the campfire about what happend when you did it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Hopefully you're never on a self defense jury cause you'd put someone away for murder for defending themselves."

ALL RISE. The 24 Hour Campfire Kangaroo Court is now in session. The Honorable Judge High Horse Fish Head presiding.

Judge High Horse Fish Head's advice to the the Jury.

"shooting at something you BELIEVE to be a rifle that's pointed at you is NOT self defense. It's attempted murder, or murder if you connect."

The accused's testimony

"Honest judge, it was self defense! He pointed that shiny glass thing at me and I got so scared I wet my pants and HAD to shoot back"

The prosecution's evidence:

[Linked Image]

Jury's decision: Guilty as charged.

Judge High Horse Fish Head's sentence: "Bailiff, whack his Pee-Pee and then bish slap him"

I don't think the "shoot first, answer questions later" idea is going to work in court.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
Yo Tzone...
Swung the spotting scope over to the object and there was a guy standing in some shoulder high brush looking at me with binoculars.

The moral of the story is don't point stuff that looks like a gun (like a spotting scope mounted on a rifle stock) at people, as people will shoot back at you if they perceive they are threatened.

Plenty of rifles out there with Hubble-Esq optics, and it would be way easy to confuse the two.

Still trying to figure out how people are going to "shoot back" at somebody with a spotting scope and stock? Is there a 10megawatt laser firing through that scope? Sure as heck ain't no bullets coming your way. What you're really saying is that there are tens of thousands of hunters who will blow you away if you point a rifle in their direction?

No. 100% no. Anybody who has ever hunted public land in Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska or any other state knows better than that. Stupid crap happens all the time every year, and the wisdom and restraint of the average hunter is what keeps us all safe.

What if they are pointing a spotting scope at you from a prone position? Can you really tell the difference from hundreds of yards away that it's mounted on a stand versus a rifle? What about a scope mounted on a monopod or sticks - fairly common, and from head on would look VERY similar to a rifle sitting on a monopod.

I've been hunting for 35 years and have had several dozen hunters THAT I KNOW OF scope me. Probably hundreds more that I never knew about. I've had rifles fired in my direction. I've had to take cover. I've had to retreat. I've walked away from hunting parties because one or more people were dangerous enough that I wouldn't hunt near them. I've been peppered with shotgun pellets from a distance multiple times, even by idiots who could see me downrange.

But never, ever, have I been tempted to fire first - much less fire in response to a perceived threat. And I never will unless I know for 100% that somebody is intentionally trying to kill ME - not just firing at me because they think I'm a deer or coyote.

I might end up dead or wounded for my inaction, but I sure as heck ain't going to be responsible for putting some teenager or newborn baby's father into a grave because I'm too paranoid or jack full of myself to take cover and evaluate a situation or to retreat.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The voice of reason and common sense, thank you.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by fish head

ALL RISE. The 24 Hour Campfire Kangaroo Court is now in session. The Honorable Judge High Horse Fish Head presiding.

Judge High Horse Fish Head's advice to the the Jury.

"shooting at something you BELIEVE to be a rifle that's pointed at you is NOT self defense. It's attempted murder, or murder if you connect."

Jury's decision: Guilty as charged.

Judge High Horse Fish Head's sentence: "Bailiff, whack his Pee-Pee and then bish slap him"

I don't think the "shoot first, answer questions later" idea is going to work in court.

Gay post dude.

Sac up...set up that rig, point it at people and see what happens. All you need is one jurer to see that the rig looks like a gun and the shooter was in fear of his life.

The origonal question was if he should discontinue the use of the rig. Yes IMO, be it criminal or not... you may get shot pointing that rig around. A warden already thought it was a real gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The court is still in session. Judge High Horse Fish Head presiding.

Oakster was shot by PhilinAz and survived.

Oakster's testimony:

"If your going to be walking through land that people are hunting, your likely to get scoped out. I was just watching a creek bed, and I saw motion in the brush, I put the scope on it. Standard hunting practice."

PhilinAZ's testimony:

I'm gunna identify whatever's pointed at me and if what looks like a gun is still pointed at me I'm going to defend myself. So I shot the [bleep].

Judge High Horse Fish Head's finding's.

Your both Dumbphucks that need to stay out of the woods.

Judge High Horse Fish Head's sentence:

"Bailiff, whack both their Pee-Pee's and double bish slap em."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE

Thanks Terry. I knew you'd think that about my post.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And he didn't shoot either. I have spent considerable time in an environment where people were actively trying to kill me and I them. I am still not going to fire on a glass flash or seeing somebody scope me. I will try to join up with them and point out my displeasure however, and if it turned out to be a rig like the OP showed would probably admire it.

Go back to the mall and play mall ninja, you do not impress me in the least.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

Still trying to figure out how people are going to "shoot back" at somebody with a spotting scope and stock? Is there a 10megawatt laser firing through that scope? Sure as heck ain't no bullets coming your way. What you're really saying is that there are tens of thousands of hunters who will blow you away if you point a rifle in their direction?

No. 100% no. Anybody who has ever hunted public land in Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska or any other state knows better than that. Stupid crap happens all the time every year, and the wisdom and restraint of the average hunter is what keeps us all safe.

What if they are pointing a spotting scope at you from a prone position? Can you really tell the difference from hundreds of yards away that it's mounted on a stand versus a rifle? What about a scope mounted on a monopod or sticks - fairly common, and from head on would look VERY similar to a rifle sitting on a monopod.

I've been hunting for 35 years and have had several dozen hunters THAT I KNOW OF scope me. Probably hundreds more that I never knew about. I've had rifles fired in my direction. I've had to take cover. I've had to retreat. I've walked away from hunting parties because one or more people were dangerous enough that I wouldn't hunt near them. I've been peppered with shotgun pellets from a distance multiple times, even by idiots who could see me downrange.

But never, ever, have I been tempted to fire first - much less fire in response to a perceived threat. And I never will unless I know for 100% that somebody is intentionally trying to kill ME - not just firing at me because they think I'm a deer or coyote.

I might end up dead or wounded for my inaction, but I sure as heck ain't going to be responsible for putting some teenager or newborn baby's father into a grave because I'm too paranoid or jack full of myself to take cover and evaluate a situation or to retreat.

No, shooting at something you BELIEVE to be a rifle that's pointed at you is NOT self defense. It's attempted murder, or murder if you connect.

No...no reason or common sense TLEE. I thought as a former LEO you would understand better.

Using his own arugment he said it's hard to tell what is pointed at him. My point exactly! It's hard to tell the spotting scope mounted on a rifle stock with a subject holding as if it were a rifle -- it is not a real gun.

Consiquently.... when something that looks like a real gun is pointed at another human -- you encourage them to defend themselves. Follow? So... back to the origonal assertion....If someone felt in fear for their life, you might get shot pointing that rig at someone. Follow? Not a good idea to point something that looks like a rifle at someone. A warden already thought it was a gun.

Sometime retreat is not possible and in certain areas of this country such as AZ, you can't trust anyone behind what you see is a rifle. I'd rather be judged by 12 than be dead or crippled for the rest of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PhilinAZ,

I'm trying to use a little humor to maybe, just maybe get you see a different side of things. At least we're only talking about it on the internet instead of reading about a real hunting accident. Step back and think about what everybody's saying. It's better to change your thoughts now than after committing an avoidable and unforgiveable accident and then having to live with the consequences for the rest of your life.

This post says it all as far as I'm concerned. BTW, good job Calhoun.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You must live around a bunch of retards to have to endure being scoped by other hunters. Holy crap. I hope you just made that up to try to prove a point. They probably had a round in the chamber too. What a disgrace to the hunting community and shooters in general.

Scope me, and you better be willing to have lead flying your way. Plain and simple..

Originally Posted by Calvin
Yo Tzone...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
And he didn't shoot either. I have spent considerable time in an environment where people were actively trying to kill me and I them. I am still not going to fire on a glass flash or seeing somebody scope me. I will try to join up with them and point out my displeasure however, and if it turned out to be a rig like the OP showed would probably admire it.

Go back to the mall and play mall ninja, you do not impress me in the least.

Oracle my ass. You point a squirt gun at somebody, they have the right to shoot you if they perceive a threat. Only a dumbass would point a squirt gun at somebody, and only a dumbass would point something that could be mistaken as a weapon at somebody in the field. As I said before, cut it down, paint it orange, and you are good to go.

Stick with posting cat pictures.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a good thread from somebody who's lived through more hunting and stupid hunting incidents than almost any of us will ever encounter.

Ethics is a big issue in his thread. Might be worthwhile to think about where you'd fall in anybody's list if they thought you'd shoot somebody for scoping you.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4347748/1

And, no, I didn't make up the fact about being scoped dozens of times. It's happened, and there are lots of idiots out there who don't see anything wrong with it. Might be worthwhile to think about the fact that it is NOT a crime to point a rifle and scope somebody. Definitely not in this state at least. Would love to see the regs of any state where it is illegal.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 6mmbrfan, 257 roberts, 21, 2500HD, 23 invisible), 1,934 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,086
Posts18,501,709
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.