Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AHM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hello, looking for some info regarding boot fit and hoping y'all can help me out. I've done the searching/reading, just can't get to anywhere to try them on.

Unfortunately I will have to order these online if I get them, so I won't have a chance to go try them on....I know, the worst way to buy boots, but it is what it is, traveling for work too much so will be breaking them in on the stairmaster and treadmill at hotels until my hunt in Oct....oh joy.

I need some good 10 " insulated boots (400-600 gram). Insulation in the boot seems to help my feet stay warmer vs. layering up with thick socks in non-insulated boots, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

current boots...I have some hanwag alaska gtx for the warmer weather (warmer for Oct @ 9000 ft). They are not quite broken in yet. I had some danner raptors that I was using for colder/snowy weather (400 g) but they need to be replaced, thus the boot search.

Looking at the kenetrek mountain extreme 400's. In y'alls experience, do these run narrow (made in italY)? I called and they say true to size. Being a tad over regular width based on measurement for my foot, should I go with the wides? I know, best to try them on and get what's best for "my" foot, but just looking for general comments and experience. I'm size 11.5 US and measure about 4.25 inches width.

I'm thinking regulars would be right, but if they run narrow, maybe wides would be better. I typically run a thick wool suck with a poly liner. I mostly buy regulars, but my danners were EE and were fairly comfortable with a thick wool sock. My other boots have been fine as well as regulars. (actually I think my danners are the only EE's I've tried)

Also kind of looking at Lowa Hunter (only 200 g insulation though), and possibly Cabela's Winter 800� Hunting Boot by Meindl (800 may be too much insulation and I'm not sure these are quite the quality of the Kenetrek or Lowa???). Also maybe hanwag trapper tops (but they don't have insulation and I already have hanwag, want to try some other high quality brands)

Anyhow, I way overthink these things and it should probably be an easy decision, but having a brain fart on this one.

Do Kenetrek run narrower?
Kentrek regular or wides?
Kenetrek or Lowa? or ? (ford vs. chevy)
Would Lowa 200 g insulation be warm enough for me...is there a better way to layer up under my boots than a liner and heavy quality sock (my feet have been getting cold sitting in 20- with 400g and thick wool sock, bearable though)?

Anyhow, thanks for any responses.

-A

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kinda in the same boat but not looking for insulated boots. I bought boots from Sierra Trading Post that I'm still undecided on but have been walking around the house off and on. Ordered Kenetrek Hardscrabbles from Endless.com, will have them tomorrow. Either place has a good return policy so one of the pairs will go back. Endless has a promo code - friend25 - that'll knock a bunch off the price. I'll let you know how their fit compares.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm wearing my new Kenetrek's as I write this and I think they are true to size. I wear a 10 M and that's what they feel like to me.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have the insulated 400 Kenetrek boots and I am always debating a wide vs std size boot and I have the std and they fit perfect. The good thing about Kenetrek is they will work with you if you get a std and need to return it they will take them back. Call them and talk to them great people to deal with.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Westman
I'm wearing my new Kenetrek's as I write this and I think they are true to size. I wear a 10 M and that's what they feel like to me.

+1 on Kenetrek being true to size. Lowa order half size larger

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Kenetrek vs Lowa is truly a ford vs chevy, or you could say BMW vs Mercedes.

I have a pair of Lowa sheep hunter boots (huge improvement to my feet over the Meindl) and I recently ordered a pair of the Kenetrek 1000g mountain extreme.

For rock or steep angle hunting or for those who have weak ankles, I would recommend the Lowas with all things being equal.

While still providing more than adequate support but providing a more "soft" feel, the Kenetrek should be number one of the list for general hiking/hunting.

My 2 cents

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
AHM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
guys, thanks for the responses so far....

ehunter, exactly what I needed to hear to push me over the edge.

huntem, what kind of weather are you going to be hunting in the 1000g kenetreks? And what kind of weather are your Lowas good in (temp, snow, etc...)? Any comments between the two?

thanks, -a

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If it helps I've always worn 10EE in Danners and I went with 10EE in the Lowa Sheep Hunter. Perfect fit and no issues, very fast break-in too.

My feet also prefer the 10 wides in Asolos.

Now trying to find a jacket that fits is another story.

MtnHtr

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
This may or may not help, but in my experience, Danners run a bit narrow.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by AHM

huntem, what kind of weather are you going to be hunting in the 1000g kenetreks? And what kind of weather are your Lowas good in (temp, snow, etc...)? Any comments between the two?

thanks, -a

-a,

This past winter I did a Mt. Lion hunt in N. Idaho. I was wearing Danner elk hunters (600g) and Schnees Hunter II pac boots. I left the Lowa boots at home as I was looking for max insulation I had available.

The first few days had high temps in the single digit range 5500' and up. The danners were not keeping my feet warm while riding the snowmobiles 175+ miles. The pac boots kept my feet warm but lacked the ankle support that I'm typically looking for in a boot.

That is the reason for the Kenetrek 1000's, warmth while sitting/riding but ankle support when on foot.

It is hard to say what I would rate the Lowa for the cold temps. As long as I'm moving, I'm good when it is down right cold out. The heavy rubber rand helps hold some of the heat that is often lost with straight leather boots. Standing hunting, my feet are comfortable into the teens but will get cold with most boots including the Lowa and Danners.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd look long and hard at Schnees "Granite" as well... the 'best" boot is the one your feet like and has nothing to do with brand for sure.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I tried real hard to do the mail order thing, cost me too much in shipping and still not satisfied with the boots. Recommendations over the net didnt work for me, feet are too personal.

If your work takes you to most any decent size city (SEA or PDX?) I would try hard to make it to a decent store. Even REI and such sells good boots.

Finally found scarpas fit me (do did danners). Lowa, Meindel, etc, did not, regardless of the high recommendations from other guys.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Danner will pay return shipping as well to return boots if they don't fit, as long as you didn't wear them on a hunt and they are in like new condition.

Danner Return / Exchange policy

They also do free standard shipping on most orders.

And if you get their resole-able boots, they will re-craft them for you at a decent price from my experience.

Danner Repair / Recraft Prices

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Brad
the 'best" boot is the one your feet like and has nothing to do with brand for sure.

Very sound advice Brad

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW, I got the Hardscrabbles today. Definitely a nice boot and my choice but I ordered a 1/2 size too big though it was the same as the Asolo. Width was a little bigger too which was a help in my case. My size is on backorder so I'll be waiting but both places were helpful with returns/exchanges.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I was told the Hanwag Trapper top GTX have the equivalent of 300 grams of thinsulate!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
It sounds like you have it somewhat narrowed down to a few good options, and as Brad mentioned the "best" boot is the one that fits properly! In terms of insulation, not all insulators are created equal. Boots like the Lowa Sheephunter and Schnee's Granite are using PrimaLoft insulation (200 Grams). IMO PrimaLoft is about as good as it gets for warmth: it has a higher warmth to weight ration than thinsulate or other synthetics (200 gms of PL would be about equal to 400gms of thinsulate), and it much more effective at moving moisture and maintains its insulating ability when wet (thinsulate loses r-value with saturation)!

"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Its simple not worth messing about with buying boots online,take an afternoon of work and do the job right first time,it appears that you travel abit,as another poster said wait until you are in a place that has an REI or other outdoor store,you will NEVER regret it,boot fit is simple to important.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dave, REI or an excellent local backpackatorium are the best place to buy boots, no doubt. However, most climbing stores (like REI) don't carry hunting-specific boots like the insulated Kenetrek, Hanwag, Lowa Sheephunter or Schnee Granite.

Those of us that like an insulated, high boot for sub-zero F temps need a boot different than the normal hiker, and less stiff than boots for crampon use/general alpine climbing.

I'm very fortunate to have about as many local resources as one can get because of where I live (both Schnees and Kenetrek are based here), Bozeman being a North American climbing and hunting hub. Not everyone is so fortunate. One reason buying from Co's like Zappo's is such a fine alternative... free shipping both ways is a real boon.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
AHM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
guys, thanks for all the sound advice, very good stuff.

FWIW, I went ahead and took the plunge for some kenetrek MX400s in 11.5 M (nowhere local carries them within a 3 hour drive for me). I just got them a little bit ago in the mail and I must say WOW. Excellent boot and I think I lucked out on the fit. They're damn near perfect for my feet and I can tell when they soften up a tad from break-in, they'll be heaven to my feet. Glad I didn't go after the wides. It's like they were made for my foot type.....but that's just wearing them around the house. I'll give my full experienced opinion after I get back from my annual Mule Deer trip in Idaho West Central/Boise mountains in mid Oct.

Didn't mind risking $400 for some boots as I would've just returned them if they didn't fit and paid shipping back....then would've gone with my old danners for another year. Next time I need to shop a little earlier in the year so I can take my time a little more.... had to make a quick decisioin this time though - working in Australia for 2 weeks, then get home and leave 3 days later for my 10 day hunt (sticking my wife with the kids for a month....muuuwwahhhahahahaha, j/k I'll miss them.... a little)

The way these kenetreks feel, I think they'll be my go-to all rounders that will likely be on my feet most of the time with the hanwags on standby for warmerish weather.

You guys really helped with my decision, so thanks. I feel the boot gods are going to be with me on these ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,652
Posts18,474,638
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.