Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Anyone else here shoot more traditional MLs? I'm a Hawken shooter (54) but haven't noticed many traditional types here yet. Not trying to start a "us vs them" thing, just wondering if there are any others here.<P>Neil

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah, me. Mine's a TC Renegade in .50 caliber. I wanted a left-hand caplock and the only way to get one was to build one from TC's kit. <P>Had it done in a week of spare time work and I'm really happy with the results. I learned a lot in the process. Not the least of which was that TC's instructions were pretty sketchy. One big problem I found in shaping the stock was that NOBODY ever photographs the side opposite the lock. I had no idea what the contour of the upper edge of the stock at the rear of the barrel was supposed to look like. I finally just pleased myself and pressed on with the project. It was the right choice. <P>I have to say a word about TC support too. When it was all done I found the gun would not fire. Turned out, the touchhole was never drilled all the way through the breechplug. I couldn't get a paper clip through it. TC said, "Send it back." and they not only replaced the breechplug but sent a new tang fitted to the new breechplug and reblued the whole thing (covering up marks I left installing the front sight.) No charge. <P>Ya' gotta' love it. There is a real sense of accomplishment in building your own firearm.<P>Talker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to. For about nine years I used a Dixie Tennessee Mt rifle. 50 cal flinter and used patched round ball only. Hard to get more traditional than that. Took a deer every year. I just got tired of cleaning the durn thing and moved on.<BR>BCR<BR>Forgot to mention that I also used to be a CW reenactor so I have used the M1861 three band Springfield. A hunting rifle it ain't but will kill what you point it at. Used standard charge of 60 gr bp and traditional Minnie ball.<P>------------------<BR>A 45 BEATS 4 ACES EVERYTIME<p>[This message has been edited by Boggy Creek Ranger (edited February 11, 2001).]

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Charles Daly 50-cal caplock. Have a handmade leather case for it. Have sold my other ML rifles, but haven't been able to get myself to sell this beauty.<P>------------------<BR><BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah! I shoot a custom made 45cal. flintlock (Siler lock, Green Mtn. barrel) in competition, a CVA Varmit side lock in 32cal.(my squirrel gun). I also have two originals that are in better than good condition that I use for "show and tell" in full dress. My hunting situation changed 4 years ago (they sold my deer lease property) and I had to move up to an in-line to get the distance I now need to hunt deer. It is a TC Black Diamond and I am pleased with it but I get more enjoyment shooting the flint.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a flintlock .50 (flint required by law in PA) and I enjoy shooting it. It is a TRaditions Deer Hunter that was $160 and can be acquired for less. Even with the kit. It is a good gun despite the low price tag and I have taken a my first muzzleloading deer with it last month.<BR> The only thing not traditional about it is the synthetic stock. Other than that, it is.<BR>Good Hunting to all.

We may rise and fall, but in the end, we meet our fate together.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My only, and if you please, as traditional as I care to be right now, is my 50 cal T/C Renegade side cap gun.<P>Big Hunter- is it true that you have to use flint only in Pennesylvania? I heard someone say you can use a maxiball now I guess the flint and maxi will work... if so why one and not the other?<P>I may do some hunting in PA, during ML season but not if flint only.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Yep. Shoot a 50 cal. Lyman Great Plains in flintlock. Can only use flintlocks here in PA. Sold a T/C PA hunter carbine that was my first flinter. Terrible trigger, and could'nt hit the broad side of a barn with it, sent it in and it shot a bit better but not well enough. My eyes are getting old so I just put on a set of fiber optic sights on the Lyman. What a difference in my groups! I know they are not traditional, but my marksmanship and no wounded deer are important to me. Keep the smoke flying. Rick

R
R
YESSS....Traditional MLs only.<P>Back in the early 80s had a heavy target rifle w/ inline ignition (before all the gun *****s started writing aboput how they were needed) shot round ball only. Anyway, when I was winning there was a lot of griping about it not being authentic. built a .50 full stock Hawken and still won.<P>Have a custom Southern Mountain Rifle in .40 flint and building a .54 flinter for 2001 elk season.<P>Haven't been to 'Diego since discharge August 1, 1970.<P>good shooting.<P><P>------------------<BR>Rock

Only accurate rifles are interesting. Rock
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Have a repo 1861 Springfield musket and a Hopkins & Allen 50 cal underhammer. Just started hunting with BP last year, and got a 6 pointer with the Springfield. I originaly got the Springfield for reanacting, but haven't gotten into that yet. The underhammer will be my primary BP gun for hunting this year, after I get sights on it I like.

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
yep, pa is flintlock only for the muzzleloader only season. as far as projectiles any single projectile is legal. maxi balls, mini balls, patched round, and sabots.<P><P>------------------<BR>"and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it mad cause I ain't askin nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own. If you don't like the way I'm livin you just leave this long haired country boy alone"<BR>Charlie Daniels<P>"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank jr.

"and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it mad cause I ain't askin nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own. If you don't like the way I'm livin you just leave this long haired country boy alone"<BR>Charlie Daniels<P>"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank jr.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It is indeed flintlock only, but maxi balls are allowed, like rock42 said. Don't let the flintlock only turn you off. They are fun to shoot (plus the excuse of hunting in PA during muzzleloader season may be a legitimate excuse to your wife if you need an excuse to buy a gun). They are reliable about 95% of the time, and they can be accurate. The only problem is that the priming powder going off next to your face may take getting used to. Oh, and if you like using Pyrodex, it may hangfire. My dad tried putting some blackpowder down the barrel before the Pyrodex, and that solved it. I wouldn't count on the Pellets, though.<BR> Do try one though. You'll get hooked.

D
D
I shoot a Lyman GPR/.54/flint, T/C White Mountaine carbine(not really traditional but great for deer and it's a sidelock), and a Pedersoli SxS in 12ga. Also love cap N Ball revolvers. <P>Doug

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yeah, traditional is the only muzzle loader to shoot. I have killed 15 deer in 21 years with my 50 T/C hawkin I built from a kit in 1980. i have only shot patched round balls and 3fg black powder. This year I tried pyrojunk powder and am now back to black. Mine is a cap lock as flinters are not so great here in Western Washington home of the temprate rain forest. You have to keep your powder dry.<P>Shoot straight, shoot often.<P>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
yes guys, I shoot traditional muzzleloaders too, I feel its the only way to go, just my humble opinion, my favorite smokepole is my T/C renegade .50 with a 30" 1/66 RB barrel, have used it to take deer. I also shoot a .50 T/C Black Mountain Magnum, I bought it because it has 1/26 twist for conicals. I have owned inlines, had a Rem. 700ML, it was very accurate, but I just prefer a sidelock, my next rifle will be a .54 Lyman Great Plains flinter, any one have any input on that rifle?? thanks, gutpile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Flintlocks can be as accurate as caplocks, and the main obsticle is powder going off in your face. They are also much more reliable than you night think. Enjoy your flintlock!

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I have a Renegade .54 I bought back when I was sixteen years old and wouldn't think of going to an in-line. I want to get a flint next, but can't make up my mind between T/C or Lyman. I also have a reproduction .44 BP pistol that I carry while hunting. -kgonzo

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a TC Hawken .54 cal....shoot 90 grains of pyrodex to push 425grain lead conicals. Also shoot standard lead balls for small game and target shooting...shoot deer, squirrels (head shots since body tears them up too much) and hogs...<BR>Would like to get fancy Kentucky or PA styled rifle with figured stock and Green Mtn barrel one day with flintlock...<P><P>------------------<BR>keep em sharp,<P>ron herman

keep em sharp,<P>ron herman
J
J
Yep. Me too. I shoot a .54 cal Lyman Great Plains Rifle. Flintlock of course! Used it this year to shoot a doe at about 50 yds. using a RB over 80 grains of FFFg. Dropped her like a rock! That was the 1st one I ever shot with a ML. I also use it to compete informally at some of the Rendevous here in PA.<BR>I think I'd trade it in a second though for one of Dixie's new Jaeger Rifles. They look fantastic and are much more "correct" for eastern PA.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Yep, TC newenglander in .54. Also have a shotgun barrel for it. The gun is percussion but thinking about moveing on, to flintlock. Yea, I like doing it like the oldtimers did.<P>------------------<BR>Beware the one-gun man.

Beware the one-gun man.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (117LBS, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,866 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,730
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.