Print Thread
Hop To
#4405626 09/11/10
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I just thought I'd throw this out there. I hunt whitetails in north Louisiana with an A-Bolt .300WSM. The best ammo I've found is the 180 grain Norma ORYX. I shot six deer last year. Five of the hit the ground immediately. The sixth was shot with a 180 grain Remington scirroco II, and he ran about 150 yards before he realized his heart was gone. The first five were shot with the Norma ORYX. All of them were heart shot too. The thing that really set me on fire for Norma was the number 4 and 5 deer. Both were mature does. Thing is, they were standing perfectly side by side eatin corn when I shot. The bullet went through both shoulders of the first deer and right behind the shoulders of the second. Both of em hit the ground where they had stood! I found the bullet just under the skin of the second deer. Perfect mushroom! Just like in the advertisements! I know it wasn't the most ethical shot, but I also know what ammo I'll be buyin from now on!

What do the Normas do on paper? Well that depends alot on you and your rifle. My A-Bolt actually shoots these better than anything else I've tried. 3/4" 3 shot groups and ever once in a while, a half inch group will put me on cloud nine. That's why I had to shoot the sixth deer with rem. ammo, I ran out of the Normas.

Anyway, I get them from Midway USA. I don't think I'll ever buy anything else for my .300.

Browning A-Bolt Hunter. 300WSM - Vais muzzle brake - 2lb Timney trigger - Gander Mtn. Black-T coating - Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-12x50 in Leupold rings and bases - custom scratch on stock from treestand.
GB1

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those bonded Oryx bullets are very good. I have dug a bunch of them out of dead moose (not mine, but the guys I hunt with so there were a variety of calibres: 6.5 x 55, .308, .30-06, 9.3 x 62...)

Even when a bullet has hit a big leg bone, none of the bullets have broken up so far.

John

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
They are great bullets. I just want to know why they have to be so danged expensive!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I bought a bunch of the Norma Oryx in .308 Win/180 gr when a distributor was selling them for $10 a box. I used some in Zim shooting leopard bait (impala and warthog), and they work very nicely.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I think that someone here is missing the point.

Whitetail deer are thin skinned game and do not require a bonded type bullet nor a Magnum caliber to kill them.

Anything from a well placed shot with a .243 to a so so shot with a 30-06 will kill deer.

The bullets that you are using is designed for BIG GAME and dangerous game - where what you are shooting - you don't want to get away, run towards you or attack you. Bears, Moose, Caribou, Elk, Lions, Tigers etc...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer

a so so shot with a 30-06 will kill deer.

Make a so so shot on deer in some of the thick areas I hunt here in the Southeast and you'll be more apt to find a needle in a hay stack than recover your game.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The bullet has nothing to do with the bullets ability to penetrate brush in a marginal shot.

As a matter of fact, in order to get a bullet to retain it's shape, it is best to shoot it at a very low velocity.
That is the reason why the .35 Remington and the 30-30 is known as brush guns. Add to the fact that any tube fed magazine requires you to shoot blunt nose bullets only - and that is what makes it such a good brush gun.

At one time, a 220 Swift was one of the fastest production guns out there, and yet it was a very poor performer for deer. As a matter of fact, even the reloading manuals tells you not to use that gun as a deer rifle. The first little twig that the bullet hits and it explodes and the most you will ever find is little fragments of a bullet - sometimes as small as a grain of salt.

We did a identical test once with a 22-250 and a orange hunting hat. We put the hat in the middle of a brushy spot in the woods and went back 100 yards and shot at the hat 5 times and couldn't find a hole in the hat. Just some little holes from the bullet fragments.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From my experience if you had used a .35 or a 30-30 you still wouldn't have found any holes in that hat.

Ed
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The bullet has nothing to do with the bullets ability to penetrate brush in a marginal shot.

My comment has zero to do with brush bucking, which I say is a whole lotta hog wash as any bullet can be deflected, but has everything to do with the fact that a marginal shot made on a deer generally leads to it running into the thickest, nastiest, grown up, infested junk that you can imagine. I've had to cut my way in and crawl my way out of the thickets were I hunt to get deer that ran.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The excellent is the enemy of the good.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

As a matter of fact, in order to get a bullet to retain it's shape, it is best to shoot it at a very low velocity.
That is the reason why the .35 Remington and the 30-30 is known as brush guns. Add to the fact that any tube fed magazine requires you to shoot blunt nose bullets only - and that is what makes it such a good brush gun.

At one time, a 220 Swift was one of the fastest production guns out there, and yet it was a very poor performer for deer. As a matter of fact, even the reloading manuals tells you not to use that gun as a deer rifle. The first little twig that the bullet hits and it explodes and the most you will ever find is little fragments of a bullet - sometimes as small as a grain of salt.

We did a identical test once with a 22-250 and a orange hunting hat. We put the hat in the middle of a brushy spot in the woods and went back 100 yards and shot at the hat 5 times and couldn't find a hole in the hat. Just some little holes from the bullet fragments.

Where to even start with this post?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have some Norma 6.5 Arisaka stashed somewhere, but
Hornady is cheaper.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

At one time, a 220 Swift was one of the fastest production guns out there, and yet it was a very poor performer for deer.

Guess you never heard of Parker O. Ackley.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (1lesfox, 257 mag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 32 invisible), 1,977 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,451
Posts18,528,894
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.