-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone read it and have any opinions? Kind of dramatic the way it was laid out but that is to be expected considering the publication. Despite the drama I think we were portrayed in a positive way, especially to the non-hunter fence rider crowd.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I read it. I thought it was a good read. Perhaps dramatic, but good points and some interesting statistics.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought it was a good read.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It wasn't too bad. I'm not big on the fact that the author's wife will not allow him to keep his own rifle in his home and he has to store it at someone else's place. He didn't seem to put up much of a fight.

My wife is from a non-outdoors family, but she knew that my guns and I were a package deal.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ya that storing the gun at a friends house was pretty lame. Maybe his real reason to go hunting was just to have another excuse to get away from the wife. whistle

IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Have not seen it but Im suprised it made it in, will have to see if it was a one time move and what the overall reader responses will be. So does he not keep it in the house because he does not have safe storage or because because his wife is scared of it and he has not spine?

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jigman222
Ya that storing the gun at a friends house was pretty lame. Maybe his real reason to go hunting was just to have another excuse to get away from the wife. whistle

Actually, I think he had to keep his testicles over there, and storing the gun there too just gave him a chance to visit his nuts once in a while...

Seriously though, I never thought I'd hear of a hunting-friendly story in Backpacker. Good news.

John

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
It wasn't too bad. I'm not big on the fact that the author's wife will not allow him to keep his own rifle in his home and he has to store it at someone else's place. He didn't seem to put up much of a fight.

My wife is from a non-outdoors family, but she knew that my guns and I were a package deal.

I'm sorry, but my wife is from the biggest liberal anti-hunting, anti-gun family going. Even so, there is no way she is ever going to tell me I would have to do that. Would any of you tolerate that from your spouse?

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
"She" wouldnt be my spouse...

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by UKdave
+1 on that. The guy should have insisted that her kitchen knifes go to the neighbors with his guns.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Junior1942
+1 on that. The guy should have insisted that her kitchen knifes go to the neighbors with his guns.

That is great! While he is at it, so should go the car, baseball bats, etc.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought the article was well done. I have seen what I perceive to be a coming together of the hook and bullet and fleece and granola crowds over the past 20 years. They aren't together yet, but there has been movement in that direction, since the two crowds often share the same places and members.

Regarding the offsite storage, remember this is the guy�s first rifle. He has a (presumable) loving and otherwise fine spouse. It may take time for a) him to come around and be comfortable with a rifle and b) to educate the spouse on the safety of a firearm. Not everyone was born into the hunting and shooting life, and for those people who are new and getting their feet wet, there are many real and imagined fears to overcome. It is a process, and I applaud the author on his willingness to try it.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Over the years in the forum I have seen several people mention that they were hunters and no one gave them grief there was even a couple of articles a few years ago about packing a gun while hiking. Glad to hear that they published the story that is a step in the right direction and maybe a bit of chance on their part publishing that.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Junior1942

Only during that special week of the month crazy

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I felt it was a much, much better treatment than it could have been. There was one cheap shot at hunters late in the article. The author's buddy was on his very first hunt, and he passed on a poor (south end) shot; author said most hunters would have taken it. To infer that his beginner buddy somehow had better ethics/judgment than "most hunters" was unjustified.

But with that as one of few deficiencies, it was a good article. After all, they showed close up butchering/skinning photos. Whoda thunk?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The groups aren't that far apart. I'm a peakbagger, ultra runner, backpacker, and a hunter. I have a buddy across the street that is an ultra runner, river runner, bike rider, and a bow hunter. IMO and I believe the author sort of touched on this, but if you like to eat meat, then you should be fine with hunting. To many people don't want to know the in's and out's of where their meal came from. And if you eat meat, you would be much smarter getting it from the woods than the food system smile

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Similarly, a few years back they had a short article on wildlife viewing that was done by a bowhunter. Though there will probably never be a hunting column in the mag, I definitely can see more of the same. Hunting is quite "green"... wink

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.