Print Thread
Hop To
B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
In my neck o the woods it is very difficult to obtain black powder either FFG or even harder FFFFG (4 F).<P>I bought some FFG in bulk from a gentleman a little while ago, (good quality) and have pleanty of it. I was using it for my caplock, I have purchased an additional flintlock now and I was wondering IF (I say IF!) it is feasable (meaning safe and easy and practical) to make FFG into FFFFG. I need some for priming my flintlock. How would you go about doing it? If you do not recommend it, where can I purchase some FFFFG online and have it sent to me?

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
GB1

W
W
blammer: At the factory the different grades are seperated by screening. I wouldn't suggest you try to crush or grind the 2f you have, for safety concerns. However if you were to find a way to sift some of it, you might get enough "fines" to get you by for a while. 1# of 4f will last you a while. Beware of over priming, as if you cover the touch hole, it will slow the ignition! I would also suggest that you purchase 3f when the 2f runs out, as you will get more reliable ignition and therefore better accuracy with 3f.

Emair boyz shuutin emair nufanguld inlynz jess dono whut thyr missun!
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
you could try grinding it with a mortar and pestle or however you spell it. if you grind it a little tiny bit at a time you would probably be ok. well good luck and don't blow yourself up.<P>if I had any idea how to ship it i'd get some for you. it is real easy to get in PA cuase of the flintlock only primitive arms season.<P>------------------<BR>"and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it mad cause I ain't askin nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own. If you don't like the way I'm livin you just leave this long haired country boy alone"<BR>Charlie Daniels<P>"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank jr.

"and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it mad cause I ain't askin nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own. If you don't like the way I'm livin you just leave this long haired country boy alone"<BR>Charlie Daniels<P>"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank jr.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you have a good, reliable, action, you could try priming with 3F. It may be a wee bit slower, but it will still work. It will certainly get you by. Try it once. <BR> Then again, this may all be a moot point if you can't get 3F either.

We may rise and fall, but in the end, we meet our fate together.
B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wildcat Junkie- I have no reason to go to 3F, my 2F will shoot one hole all day long at 50 yards and 2" or better at 100yds. I'll stick to what I know works, I have never had a misfire because of the big granulation of 2F, usually due to clogged nipple after shooting 50 shots and not cleaning.<P>I cannot even find 2F around here, 3 and 4F, they have heard of it but never seen the beast.<BR>

IC B2

blammer - Try <A HREF="http://www.mainepowderhouse.com" TARGET=_blank>www.mainepowderhouse.com</A> for a supplier of blackpowder. Also, unless you are participating in shoots of some sort, the kind of accuracy you are getting is more than sufficient. Heck, that's as good as some folks that I know get with scoped centerfires. I get about the same, also using 2f, and so far with approx. 25 whitetails taken with BP, I'm still shooting 100%, none missed, all recovered.<P>.280 freak

B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
280 Freak- Holy Cow! I just check the web site you posted, I would love to order some, only problem is I would not use 25 POUNDS of black powder in any reasonable length of time. That is the minimum order. If I could get say 4 others to go in with me I would be willing. Only problem is...how to ship it to the other 4 people? UPS doesn't move that type of cargo. anyway... I was cruising the net and found that GOEX has it's certified dealer here in Advance NC, about 25 minutes away from me. I will have to call them and check it out. LUCK be With ME!

blammer - Yeah, if you have a dealer that close, you gotta be in hog heaven as far as BP is concerned. Wish I had a supplier that near. I'm still using powder that the brother of a friend out of state was able to get for me, but after paying the HazMat on just the two pounds I got, it set me back about $30 a pound. I figured next time I'm going to Mainepowderhouse. 25 pounds is a lot, but I know enough others around here to split it with me, so that won't be a big deal. Good luck and have fun makin' smoke, nothin' like it, is there?<P>.280 freak

B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well I found the Goex dealer today, (closed on weekends) thought I'd go back when they are open. Headed over to the Lexington gunshow, forgot ANY money so did not get in, dropped by a gunstore called "The Gun Store" and just knew they would not have any BP, so I asked anyway. "What kind?" was the reply, I was shocked and delighted, he regularly carries 2,3,& 4Fg, Goex brand. I tickled pink, next with heart in throat, "howwww, mmmmmuuuuucccchhhh?" '11.25 + tax' YEEEHAAWWWW! I'm set! and as a bonus the store is only 20 min away! Thanks for your help guys...! Too bad it was raining today otherwise I woulda shot my new, yet to be fired flinter from Lyman.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,285
Posts18,525,686
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.