Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i had a chance to prowl through some of these today at J&G sales, and one followed me home.
Some of them are I believe brand new pistols, combined with new holsters.
Very nice looking pistols.
The slavs have a thing about cosmo, so it is soaking right now but soon will be fired with that hot little cartridge.
They are nine shot by the way.
Think S.O.G. has them too

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Its well made compared to some other variations Ive had my mitts on, but one question. What is the availabily of spare magazines at J&G for this one? Ive been under the impression that they'll sell you the gun, but not mags. Did you happen to notice if they had extra mags?
I have a 1911 based Tok that uses this same magazine and have had no luck in finding extras until these units showed up in the market.

NRA Benefactor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine came with two mags. But, here are some new-made US mags for sale: http://ccsportingarms.com/

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SOFMatchstaff
Its well made compared to some other variations Ive had my mitts on, but one question. What is the availabily of spare magazines at J&G for this one? Ive been under the impression that they'll sell you the gun, but not mags. Did you happen to notice if they had extra mags?
I have a 1911 based Tok that uses this same magazine and have had no luck in finding extras until these units showed up in the market.

I didn't ask about spare mags, but the pistol had two with it, both brand new. I took it apart last night to soak it to the extent of removing the grips, and all other parts with the exception of breaking down the fire control group, which is a modular unit. I kind of regret not taking it apart, and might do that later cause the trigger feels a little like there is some cosmo in there some place. All parts serialed to the pistol, all were nicely blued, no signs of wear period. Also had a cleaning rod in the holster, also unused. While some of them i looked at showed signs of holster wear, and the holsters were worn, there are some that i am pretty sure are unfired. The Yugo ammo i bought with it looks pretty good too.
I have heard some reports the polish stuff splits. I might add the yugo also has a captive recoil spring. On reessembly, took a little while to get that barrel bushing on right, I think mostly attributable to bluing and basically as i said being brand new.
I won't have time until after muzzle loader elk next week, but eventually want to run some of that yugo ammo through a chrony.
Once cleaned up it has a slim profile and just feels pretty good in the hand like a 1911.
As to the stupid safety a.t.f. required to be installed, it wouldn't take much to remove it, and maybe fill in the holes. The yugo tok has a partial cock position for the hammer to keep it off the firing pin and i don't see as the safety is really needed. They also noched the frame for the up/safe position of the safety too.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you have access to a parts washer, it might help in removing the cosmoline. Take off the grips and dunk it in the mineral spirits and hose it down inside. and out.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Osok, thanks for the link. alittle pricey for a surplus Tok, may have to jump on one anyway.

NRA Benefactor
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
One of these followed me home today. Details re: impressions later, but overall initial, I'm definitely pleased.

Oh, but do let me reiterate....

I HATE cleaning out cosmoline.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool. Looking forward to hearing the details (and pics, too smile ).

I've been eyeballing those things for some time. If I ever get a Tokarev, it'll be a Yugo' 57.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AIM has the model 57.

It shows up on page 75 in John Remling's book "A Collectors Guide to Tokarev Pistols"

The difference between the model 57 and most other T-33 clones is cosmetic.

I wrote Sierra and told them their load book was wrong. The CZ52 is NOT stronger than the Tokarev. They wrote back that they just printed what they read and had no original information.

My favorite thing to do with Tokarevs is to convert them from 7.62x25mm Tokarev to 9x23mmWin. I just find an aftermarket 9x19mm barrel and ream the chamber and throat a little deeper.

The max published load for 357 mag is 8 gr Power Pistol 158 gr.

With Win 9x23mm brass [Starline 9mmSupercomp brass is not strong enough] I have been shooting 16 gr Power Pistol 158 gr. The recoil is horrific, but that is a 357 mag double load and the Tokarev can take it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The differences between the TT-33 and M57 are NOT just cosmetic.

M57 uses a longer magazine (non-TT-33 compatible) due to the longer grip frame. Also, the firing pin and spring are retained by a sliding block, a la 1911, vs a retaining pin of the TT-33.

There are a couple other differences as well, but cosmetic alone, they ain't.

As for the double load... Forrest Gump comes to mind...

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Clarkm
AIM has the model 57.

It shows up on page 75 in John Remling's book "A Collectors Guide to Tokarev Pistols"

The difference between the model 57 and most other T-33 clones is cosmetic.

I wrote Sierra and told them their load book was wrong. The CZ52 is NOT stronger than the Tokarev. They wrote back that they just printed what they read and had no original information.

My favorite thing to do with Tokarevs is to convert them from 7.62x25mm Tokarev to 9x23mmWin. I just find an aftermarket 9x19mm barrel and ream the chamber and throat a little deeper.

The max published load for 357 mag is 8 gr Power Pistol 158 gr.

With Win 9x23mm brass [Starline 9mmSupercomp brass is not strong enough] I have been shooting 16 gr Power Pistol 158 gr. The recoil is horrific, but that is a 357 mag double load and the Tokarev can take it.

FWIW.... and, we'll take the QL projections as at least a guideline...

The max load .357 with the 158 and 8 grains PP generates roughly 25k PSI (Speer 4211 158 grain JHP, 1.590" COAL, 25.6 grains water capacity brass, 8 grains of PP, 64.5% case capacity).

A load of 16 grains of PP in a 9x23 would be damned near impossible. The case only has 16.75 grains MAXIMUM water capacity! The 16 grain PP load with the same 158, at 1.300" COAL would be 203% capacity (how the HELL do you get that much powder in a case?) and generate roughly 942K PSI!

No f'kin' way.

Where's the BS flag?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
this one...

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
...The 16 grain PP load with the same 158, at 1.300" COAL would be 203% capacity (how the HELL do you get that much powder in a case?)...

Rookies..... crazy

You put it in a food processor, pulverize it, use a long drop tube (that's the part that most newbies overlook), and the upgraded heavy duty handle on your reloading press.

What? You mean everybody doesn't do it that way?? eek

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
.357 Magnum:

[Linked Image]

Notice the 32.77mm OAL for the case?

9x23Win:

[Linked Image]

Notice the 22.85 OAL for the case?

So, a 9x23mm vs (essentially) a 9x33mm case....

Hell, even in the .357 Magnum (33mm case), 16 grains of PP under the same 158 JHP would generate an anticipated 130k PSI...

Proof loads for the 8mm Remington Magnum in RIFLES have to proof to at least 83kPSI (125% of the CIP standard of 66717 psi).... The 16 grains of PP in the .357 Magnum case would generate only a mere 63% more pressure than those PROOF loads for the 8mm RemMag RIFLES (gee, no wonder the .357Mag brass can't/won't take it, huh?).

Yet, our resident genius thinks that the Tokarev, with it's modified Browning toggle link assembly (never rated for more than about 35k PSI) will take not only THOSE loads, but loads 722% greater than the 8mmRM RIFLE PROOF LOADS, 2683% greater than .357 Magnum SAAMI loads, and 9x23 SAAMI loads?!?!?!

crazy

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
eek

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still haven't decided if I believe clarkm has really done some of the stuff he has claimed to.

If he really is for real, I have to wonder what on earth is the point of routinely running guns with loads in excess of proof loads?

Last edited by RufusG; 04/16/11. Reason: spellin
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The differences between the TT-33 and M57 are NOT just cosmetic.

M57 uses a longer magazine (non-TT-33 compatible) due to the longer grip frame. Also, the firing pin and spring are retained by a sliding block, a la 1911, vs a retaining pin of the TT-33.

There are a couple other differences as well, but cosmetic alone, they ain't.

As for the double load... Forrest Gump comes to mind...

last night i had occasion to handle a different tokarov, not mine, in taking the ammo out, and replacing it. In the process i had to work the slide/safety etc. Huge difference in functioning between it and the yugo i have. I will have to find out the country of origin.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RufusG
I still haven't decided if I believe clarkm has really done some of the stuff he has claimed to.

If he really is for real, I have to wonder what on earth is the point of routinely running guns with loads in excess of proof loads?

well rufus, from some of the other posts clark has made i think i would totally disreguard him except in some ways he is dangerous to others in posting his nonsense.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i might add that since i bought the pistol i finally had a chance to burn a couple of boxes of surplus yugo ammo through it.
trigger takes a little getting use to, but about 160 rounds through it and not one problem. We were wacking gallon milk jugs and water bottles at about 25-30 yards without any real issue.
you can get about 1200 rounds of that high speed ammo for a around 100bills.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Ron;

Polish, or Czech, perhaps?

And, yeah, I can see a can or two of the mil-surp FMJs, as well as some of the Wolf JHPs in the near future.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

236 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 30 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,115
Posts18,483,452
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.