Print Thread
Hop To
B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
My flintlock rifle was misfiring (not providing enough spark to ignite the pan). I put a new flint in it to continue my range session and after that it worked flawlessly.<P>How do you sharpen a flintstone? This one is fairly new (less than 100 shots) and needs a new point. Any suggestions?

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
blammer, I tried it on a regular grindstone and didn't do so hot. A friend took one to a diamond stone and got a faily good edge. Other than that, I'm interested in any other suggestions offered.<BR>7mmbuster

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Blammer, Are you using cut flint or English rough? If you got 100 rounds from a cut flint you did very well. I use the English flint and plan to order some French which are supposed to be even better. I bought a sharpener from a flint knapper that is really simple and works great for English type. It is a flat piece of steel approx. 1-1/2in X 2-1/2in with a protrusion on the narrow side that looks like a straight screwdriver tip. This tip is hardened. To use it, you half cock the hammer and flip the frizzen forward(unloaded rifle of course.) Just tap the edge of the flint on the opposite side that you want the chip to come off at about a 45-deg. angle, top or bottom on the face of the flint. Smal flakes will chip off and it is ready to go. If you can't make one or find one, try RMC Sports in Mingoville, PA. If you can't find it, I will be glad to look up the info for you. Rick

B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
It is the kind that come with the Lyman trade rifle and that lyman sells in their little two packs. Cut i guess?

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Blammer, The address of RMC Sports is as follows: <A HREF="http://www.rmcsports.com." TARGET=_blank>www.rmcsports.com.</A> You are probably using the cut flints which are ground to a bevel on the ends. My brother uses the German Agate which are cut and they work fine for him. Take a look at the above link and click on flints. You will see the difference in cut and English flint. I did'nt see the tool I purchased listed but a phone call to them would probably get you one. I seem to remember about $ 8.00 but it would be simple to make too. This shop is really into blackpowder and the people are friendly and knowledgeable. Hope this helps. Rick

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Gentlemen:You are all off of the beaten path.You sharpen flints on a bench grinder that has a silicon carbide grinding wheel mounted on it. This is the same grinding wheel that you use to sharpen cemented carbide cutting tools for a late or milling machine. I haven't bought a new flint in 20 years. Just turn them around and use the other end. When that end gets dull replace it with a sharpened one. This is a good way to also reshape those those often hard to use knapped flints.<BR><P>------------------<BR>

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1badf350, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,439
Posts18,489,434
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.