-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dozier is a stud. Plain and simple. Can't say anything bad about May, Ingram, Krein, Hendrix. They ALL make great knives. Have several of each. Just depends what a guy wants.

One thing about a Dozier is the very thin grinds. You dont see that everyday on a knife.

FSTF
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Dozier subscribes to the theory that less is more,he personally prefers a blade of three inches or less.I've spoke with him at length and have a number of his knives.He builds his knives for use not show.Dozier is always looking for something new,which says a lot for a guy pushing 70 years old.

Doziers forgotten more about the use of D2,then the rest will ever know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I EDC this one:

[Linked Image]

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This one's the best skinner I've ever owned and 1/2 of my favorite kissing cousin "whammer" set:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you guys like to sharpen your knifes to a ultra sharp straight razor or a super toothy chain saw type edge?What do you think works better on game?I have always been a 12000 grit ultra sharp guy but am starting to change my ways.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also used to like that super smooth silky sharp edge but have turned from it to favoring a bit of a "toothy" edge with some bite to it. The toothy edge is still hair popping sharp but it has that little grainy bite to it that really seems to cut better on fibrous material and also seems to last longer overall.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In a knife, geometry cuts. The blade material and its properties determine how long. D2 at an included angle less than 32* or so will lose the larger carbides from its matrix and become coarse and saw-like no matter how much one uses a finer grit to polish those same carbides. 600-800 grit silicon carbide at 16*-18* per side, with a secondary bevel at 20* will come off as scary sharp, and yield that famous "takes a lousy edge and holds it forever" property that makes D2 such a great steel for skinning and cutting flesh...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Fort Henry - beautiful Doziers.

Like them? Very much, and I own a few too.

elim - Halfrich knives do look great, especially the folders. About the sharpening, I like from the tip to the belly a slightly coarse edge, then from the belly to choil a fine edge (like a steak knife)

harleyguy02 - yes, you do like Doziers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Doziers are ok, but you have to bear in mind, that there are many makers that can produce as good a knife.
We tend to go over board in spending on 'name' factor alone. Not that there is anything wrong with that,but to hold Dozier, or Ingram or May up as the only sources of quality steel is playing to the 'fan boy' in us all.

One, nobody said that Dozier, Ingram and May are the only sources of quality steel, your "fan boy" comment is really out of place.

Two, while there are many makers that can and do produce excellent knives there are also a lot of knives that cost a lot more and don't work near as well. Personally I prefer talking positively about stuff that does work reliably so people can not have to waste their money on stuff that costs more and does less. You hear a lot of talk about Doziers because they are reasonably priced for the quality and have worked superbly for a lot of people.

Here's some of my Doziers with an Ingram thrown in for good measure :-) .....

[Linked Image]

The middle Dozier is my favorite of the bunch, it's done several deer for me.........................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Excellent post DJ.

Thanks for the comparison shot! I think you hav eall the sizes covered.

~ Fort Henry Custom Knives ~

Serious Knives for the Serious Hunter
http://www.forthenrycustomknives.com
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
DJ,

What's the middle Dozier? I really like the looks of the Yukon Pro Skinner.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
- It's an older Yukon Pro Skinner. It's blade shape might be slightly different from a brand new one after years of use. It's my favorite Dozier, most used and the first one I bought - second hand at that. It's just about the right size and shape for general cutting chores.

For heavier use I like a convexed edge Fallkniven F-1 or maybe a Barkie Bravo or Gunny but for pure cutting use the Dozier's hollow grind is hard to beat..........................DJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Journeyman
This one's the best skinner I've ever owned and 1/2 of my favorite kissing cousin "whammer" set:

[Linked Image]

What model is the Dozier in the left of this picture?

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks very similar to Doziers K4 Straight Hunter with a bit more belly on it.

http://www.dozierknives.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The K4 seems to trail up and the one pictured is almost a slight drop point. I looked on the Dozier web site and didn't see what I thought was an exact match. Needless to say I like it.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwheeler
Originally Posted by Journeyman

[Linked Image]

What model is the Dozier in the left of this picture?

Sure looks like a Yukon Pro Skinner just like mine................DJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It does look like a Yukon Pro Skinner but it has a finger groove.

Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A finger groove and two pins in the handle which isn't the norm for the YPS. I'd say it is a hybred custom combination from Dozier. It isn't unusual to order a certain handle style with a different blade than normally comes on the knife. I happen to strongly prefer the handle of the K4/K2 and order all my knives with that rounded back, single finger groove, and two pin handle style. Combining a Yukon Pro Skinner blade with that handle is a natural combination - nice knife!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just spoke to someone at Doziers shop and that knife is a K2/K4 handle with a K16 blade.

Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry, I've been hunting. That knife is indeed a YPS with a Straight Hunter handle. It's also 1/4 inch shorter than the standard, and is 1/8 D2 vs the standard .135. I have had 2 and still have 1 regular YPS, and the above tweaks make a difference that need be experienced on an elk or moose to appreciate.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 72 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,536
Posts18,491,357
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.