Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Will be leaving this morning to hunt the D6 opener. Plan on camping at highland lakes and hunting behind the lake around the disaster creek area. Will be in a tan CJ7. Post up where you are going and report back.

I have herd the deer stayed low this year hope otherwise. See you on the trails and good luck to all.

Robert

I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom.For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hope you do well.
didn't draw an X zone, so we'll be heading to D-8 the 2nd week of Oct. Probably hunt the Bartolas drainage area south of Horse Mdw.
I;ll check in when I get back.

Tom

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Robert, been all over that area the last couple years, lean towads St. Mary's pass and Lightening ridge. Going back to B zone this year, no time to try two different spots.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Heading out in the morning for C zone private property. Saw a big buck there last year, so hopefully I'll have a successful year.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by r08ert209cali
Post up where you are going and report back.

Notellum Ridge and GoFindYourOwn canyon.

MtnHtr

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm going to sneak into a special spot in D5 on Alder Creek, not far from Brown Rock. Going to be there long before legal shooting time.
I want everybody to know that. Because I need you guys to stir up the big ones and make'em run by my stand.
It's only taken me about 8-9 years to learn their favorite escape route. E

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Came home early due to a tooth ache and being gassed. Left at three in the morning and ended up hunting the tree covered hills around half moon lake. Seen no deer nor sign around the ridges they are in the trees. Seen a total of 6 deer sat. and was only able to make one out as a doe. The other 5 acted a lot like bucks. Going to the dentist tomorrow then back out there to hunt D6 and then the D5 opener this sat.

Some one else took a 4X4 out if the highland area and there was a black bear taken by a group that went in on horses. Another guy reported shooting at a 3x3 and missing as well as seeing a nice 1x?

Last edited by r08ert209cali; 09/19/10.

I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom.For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
FWIW all the shooting took place between 8-9 am.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We drew D9 this year. Of course a lot of D9 is on fire right now so we'll how it works out. Might make a trip to DFG this week for D8 tags.

Tom...love the Horse Meadow area.

Last edited by 2crow; 09/19/10.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2crow,
Ahhh, you know the area!
Do you know the Bartolas Country? We'll be around the Taylor Mdw and True Mdw areas.
We'll see what we can find there. You never know!

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I'm going to sneak into a special spot in D5 on Alder Creek, not far from Brown Rock. Going to be there long before legal shooting time.
I want everybody to know that. Because I need you guys to stir up the big ones and make'em run by my stand.
It's only taken me about 8-9 years to learn their favorite escape route. E

Killed my first two deer up on Alder ridge...I haven't been in that area for years but I did spend the last two weeks up in the Hays flat/Cody meadows area...didn't even see a doe.

ETA I'll probably be hunting a little west of Forresthill up on Mosquito ridge in D-4 this coming weekend...better chance at seeing a bear than deer though...

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 09/19/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep Tom. Covered a lot of miles (mostly windshield) up there 2 years ago. Rattlesnake Creek I believe and Cannel Meadow and such. We camped there in Horse Meadow a few times that year, Lots and lots of country in there. Good bear country too. My buddy saw a dandy cinnamon colored bear in there a few years back. Spittin distance. Of course, no bear tag that year!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Tooth is fixed may drive around Cherry lake tomorrow then back to highlands this Friday. Stew is on the stove for this weekend.

Last edited by r08ert209cali; 09/20/10.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Nice 4X3 taken from Highland lakes area opening morning. I heard the shot. Link to thread on jesse's hunting forum.
jesseshunting.com

[img:center]http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60030[/img]

Last edited by r08ert209cali; 09/20/10.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2crow,
We'll be setting camp at Taylor or True Mdws, where ever we can find a creek.
Last season, we camped at Big Mdw and a neat little creek winding thru camp[Salmon Ck. I think].
Had a great time, only to get skunked! Well, you know the area.
Buuuuut, you never know!

Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was going to hunt D7 this weekend, but an issue came up at the house, so I'm waiting for a week or two. A buddy went up to a private ranch in D7 near Shaver Lake and saw nothing. He stopped at one of the main check stations at the base of Hwy 168, and they said they'd had 17 deer checked in, versus 42 the year before

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Has a frustrating weekend. The nearly full moon has the deer moving at night, and staying down all day. I glassed a good portion of saturday and some on Sunday as well of a highly-used path, and nothing.

I'm hunting a private walnut and prune orchard where the deer are damaging the crop. I see fresh tracks over where I had walked the day before, so I know they are out there.

Unfortunately, C4 only has a two week season, completely during the brightest moon phases. Hopefully this weekend the deer will deside to peak out during shooting hours.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drove up the back side of The Piute's today from Kelso Valley in D9. Long way over the top. Got to within 3 miles of the bottom, and the gate was locked. Had to drive all the way back over the top, back to Kelso. Only saw 2 doe and a fawn.

Not too promising.

Last edited by 2crow; 09/21/10.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2crow,
Used to run all over that area on my dirt bike, Kelso Valley, Dove Springs, Jawbone Cyn, etc.
When I stopped riding in the desert, I hunted the Piutes a few times, never had any luck tho.
There are other pockets of Sequoia N. F. you can look at.
Where you think they're not, there they are![sometimes]
Good luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tom. Decision has been made to run to Fresno tomorrow to the DFG office for D8 tags. We'll hit D9 to call ROberto Gato and coyotes and if a buck comes along...We'll be up Sherman Pass Rd Sat morning.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,163
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.