-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CLB, I prefer the tang safety M77s to the later Rugers for a few reasons.

1) Convenience of the tang safety.
2) Barrel and action finish...love that deep blue.
3) Great looking wood and finish.
4) Un-common cartridges

Owned 23 M77s.

Have the rifles required tweaking for accuracy? Yes, but not all.
Have some of the rifles been sent to Ruger for inspection and rework? Yes, one.
Did I have a rifle with a lousy barrel? No.
Were some of the hunting rifles exceptionaly accurate. Yes, five.

Currently own 7 tang safety M77s. Are they for sale? No.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

HR IC

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by CLB
Thanks for the input gents.

So far, the one's I have seen have been priced very fairly. A few have very good looking wood too. I can't wait to get one, bed the action and go shooting.

Has anyone shot or owned one in 257 Roberts or 25-06?

I have 3 tang safety Rugers in 257 Roberts
2 Ultra Lights, and a regular M77R, they all shoot great.
I shoot 100 grain Partitions in Ultra Lights, and 115 grain Ballistic Tips in the M-77R.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have owned a number of tang-safety Rugers 77's, and even though the Mark II's are good rifles, a little more consistently and consistently light, I still tend to prefer the original.

Only one of them had a bad barrel. This was a 7x57 that really sucked, to put it mildly. It would shoot into 1-1/2" or so for the first few shots, then would spray them. I finally slugged the barrel and found that the TIGHT spots measured .287"--and there were several loose spots. I had it rebarreled.

The others have all shot pretty darn well. Right now I have a .220 Swift sporter that will shoot five shots of about any 50-55 grain bullet into 3/4" or less. My first tang-safety was a .30-06 that would be three of just about any bullet into an inch, and some loads around 1/2".

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
One of the the things that ruined the accuracy of many tang safety Rugers is the magazine box pushing up on the center of the action. Free float the magazine box and only have the center screw fingernail tight.

I always managed to get the triggers down to a very light weight(1 lb) on the tang safety Rugers.

If you got your ruger tang safety to shoot less than 1/2" groups day in and day out with out freefloating the mag box and having a loose center screw, consider it an act of God.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
......had a tang safety Ruger in 7X57 from 1972 until 2000 when I restocked it with an McM, and rebarreled it to .280.

shocked frown cry cry cry

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
First centerfire was a tang in .270, shot patterns of 3-4 inches but it managed to kill alot of stuff for me. I got an itch for elk and was convinced they were bullet proof so I Pacnor rebarreled to a .35 whelen. Super smooth action and a great trigger that is easy to adjust. I have kick myself I did not just rebarrel to another .270.

With the lug in the action I have seriously considered making it a switch barrel, .270 and a .35Whelen would cover a lot of ground.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

C
CLB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the information so far guys. I'll be adding one or two tangs to the mix soon. I really want one in 257 Roberts and I have my eye on a fine looking Tang in .270 win also.

I'm keeping my eye out for some good looking wood patterns as I'd like to keep them in the original stocks and simply float the barrel and do a bedding and trigger job.

P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I have three, 257 Roy, 284 Win and 338 RCM. All have had their barrels replaced AND the stocks replaced with McMillans. I am lucky to have grabbed two ultralight stocks before they were discontinued.

There is still one Ultralight stock left for a short-action tang-safety Ruger (http://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-specials-ruger.php). I just received my Ruger 284Win back from McMillan with the next-to-last ultralight stock.

I'm curious as to the type of bedding pillar used in your Ultralight stock. Did you install the notched Brownells bedding pillar (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=357/Product/RUGER_reg__77_M77_reg__MARK_II_BEDDING_PILLARS) on the angled action screw?

Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by CLB
Thanks for the input gents.

So far, the one's I have seen have been priced very fairly. A few have very good looking wood too. I can't wait to get one, bed the action and go shooting.

Has anyone shot or owned one in 257 Roberts or 25-06?

I have one in 25-06. Bought it brand new when I was a sophmore in high school, w/ money made cutting firewood. It's got the heavier taper barrel on it, so it tends to not go on longer hunts w/ me, but I did pack it into the high country one year when my dad got his Bighorn tag. Shoots just about everything I've tried in it under an inch, and will stack 100gr NBT's into 3/8", according to the old target I have here in my notebook.
I also have an older 22-250 that has seen who know's how many owners, but it still shoots good and spends a lot of time bumping around in my truck waiting for a stupid coyote to cross my path.

�Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.� Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PJF,

I talked to McMillan several years ago and they said they quit making the ultralight. Wonder where that one came from?

The first ultralight I bought was custom inletted to my 284. I dropped off the rifle and later picked up the package. They recommended that I wouldn't need to bed the rifle. It has been 16 yrs now and it still shoots great without any bedding.

The second ultralight ( 338 RCM) was bedded with 1 1/2" of barrel shank included in bedding but no pillars were used.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I just talked with McMillan, and they found the stock in inventory.
You're correct they no longer make that stock.
It's on it's way to my home as we speak. :-)
Thanks for the heads up on it PJF.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Wildcat composites also offer stocks for the tang safetys and will go as light as the Mcmillan edge.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just looked at Wildcat Composites website. No mention of tang safety versions only Mark I.

http://www.wildcatcomposites.com/ruger.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the bottom rifle in that link is a tang safety.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CLB
I have my eye on a couple real good looking tang safety Rugers right now. Before I buy one, I wanted to ask what you think about them as compared to other Ruger offerings. Tell me how yours shoots, etc. Is there aftermarket triggers available?

Anything you could tell me from experience would be great.

CLB

The .30-06 I bought in 1980 was a 4 MOA rifle. My friends .243 was about the same.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Azshooter
PJF,

I talked to McMillan several years ago and they said they quit making the ultralight. Wonder where that one came from?

The first ultralight I bought was custom inletted to my 284. I dropped off the rifle and later picked up the package. They recommended that I wouldn't need to bed the rifle. It has been 16 yrs now and it still shoots great without any bedding.

The second ultralight ( 338 RCM) was bedded with 1 1/2" of barrel shank included in bedding but no pillars were used.

While McMillan discontinued production of the Ruger M77 Ultralight stock years ago, they continued to keep an inventory of them. I purchased my Ultralight last year and apparently �Bitman� just purchased the last one yesterday.

How many inch-pounds of torque do you apply to the action screws of your Ruger Winchester 284 in McMillan Ultralight stock?

I'm planning to take off the stock to see how well the action and pillars were glass-bedded. I need to know the torque values to replace the stock. Do you use the Ruger-recommended 95 inch-pounds of torque for the diagonal screw?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I currently own 3 tang-safety M77s: M77R in 7x57, M77ST in 7x57, and M77RS in 35 Whelen. I have owned many others in other calibers. I also currently own M77MkIIs in 7x57 and 6.5x55. The most accurate rifle I ever shot was a box stock M77R in 243. They are excellent rifles, but there are a few things I would have done differently were I making the decisions at Ruger. These are:

- One-piece bottom metal instead of two-piece;
- Two action screws instead of three;
- Better trigger release;
- Better forend-barrel bedding.

For many years Ruger M77 rifles were less expensive to buy than Remington, Winchester, and some others. They were and are a lot of rifle for the money. I was the first in my neighborhood to own and shoot Rugers. Some guys don't like the idea of a cast receiver and other parts, thinking they can't possibly be as strong as forged parts, but the Ruger rifles have been proven to be rock-solid.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have they?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've certianly never had any strength or reliability problems with the Ruger rifles I own, and I don't recall hearing anything either except for accuracy issues.

`Bring Enough Gun`
C
C
I bought my Ruger M77 Ultralight .30-06 new in the mid-80's. I always took it on my Colorado elk hunting trips, and it produced six elk kills and the same number of mule deer without ever losing an animal. Every year, however, in pre-season shooting practice the groups would get bigger and bigger, out to about 4", and I was losing confidence in the rifle. I even swapped it for a heavy, much longer Sako one year, and was totally dissatisfied with its carrying qualities. After missing the last two Colorado hunting seasons due to knee problems and subsequently having both knees replaced, I decided to use or dispose of the Ruger this year. To start, I had the gunsmith lighten the trigger and install a Limbsaver recoil pad. Next, I purchased some of the new Wipeout barrel cleaning foam, and following the directions, found that the rifle had a tremendous amount of copper fouling which I eliminated. I purchased some of the Federal Fusion 165 gr.loads which had gotten excellent reviews and shot them this week along with my handloads. Eureka!!, the first sub MOA groups, and these with the Federal factory loads. I figure I'm now ready to go to Colorado four weeks from today with renewed confidence in my old rifle friend.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1minute, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,852
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.