Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
We all have one (or more). Mine are a Northern Canada/ AK moose hunt and a high country elk hunt. Neither of which will probably ever happen. I wouldn't know where to start. but it's fun to dream. I could use a distraction today so lets hear yours.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, I'm fulfilling one on my bucket list, next August. I'm going back to Africa, with my son, for our second[and probably last for me] safari. We are going to Zim, to hunt cape buff, hippo, and tuskless ele.

Can't wait! grin

maddog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your fly is open.

(That was the distraction.)

My bucket list trip would be a horse back, elk, and mule deer hunt.
I don't even care if we shoot anything. I'd like it to be during trout season, with the option of taking a few grouse as well. Just spend a couple weeks scoutin', ridin', and eatin' fish, and grouse.

Course if the horse had a throttle, and gas tank - that'd be an all right second choice.

Last edited by Mako25; 09/21/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plains game in Namibia and/or moose and brownies in Alaska.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Odd as it is, I've never had the Africa urge. Alaska -- in particular the Brooks Range -- has always drawn my lust. I could see a month for that kind of opportunity!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mako,
I always thought hunting in the Brooks would be sweet.
To spend a month on any major hunt would be a dream come true-I can't even imagine having that much time in the field.
"Bucket List" indeed.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brown Bear in Alaska or Russia
Cape Buffalo and Leopard in Africa

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My list was always short and two have been crossed off. Bison hunt got crossed off 18 months ago, fishing for big catfish on the Red River of the North got done 20-some years ago. The only one left is a horseback elk hunt in the mountains. Due to medical and physical issues I fear that list item will probably go unfilled. Some of the physical issues can be worked on, but the medical issues can't/won't go away. I'm not upset at all about it, though, things are what they are. Sigh.

An African safari has never appealed to me, either. Maybe I'm strange???

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hadn't entertained the thought in years - I've gotta stay away from threads like this - or just say, "Ya only live once", and do it!

It'd require a horse (or two), some cookin' utinsels, bedding, and a tent. The horses could be arranged, the rest is fairly routine. Two rifles -- a .410/.22 Mag for the scabbard, and MKI RSI Ruger 77 (fited with a fixed 4x), in .338 Win. -- make the trip. On my hip, A Ruger Blackhawk, in .45 Colt.

The fishing equipment would be a problem. I prefer one-piece rods, which obviously don't fit the bill in this situation. Faced with that, I'd pack a 6 weight fly rod, but would also include a spinning reel to alternate with the fly reel. Lures would be kept to a minimum, but I'd have enough fixin's to fashion 'bout anything to the pound of various size hooks I'd have in-tow.

Throw in a bar of soap, and some toothpaste, and "qkkk, easy boy", I'd be a happy man.

Last edited by Mako25; 09/21/10.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dall sheep. The price is more than I will spend.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would it be the area, or the sheep that has more attraction?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just thought of another one-Blue sheep or Ibex in central Asia.
oh yeah!!!
grin

James Elroy Flecker

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
1. Return to the Brooks Range for a month to hunt Caribou and Bear. I already know the spot.

2. Hunt Africa for a month. Plains Game, Dangerous Game, Small Game. Just to walk, stalk, and perhaps shoot. Open to any and all suggestions for locations.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've read, and watched several accounts of Ibex hunts. Looks like a challenge to say the least. Just getting to an area is a risk, then once the hunt begins, you better be one tough hombre.
Weather, and elevation are extreme, shots are near impossible, and it'd be easier to open a minerals mine -- by hand -- than retreive your kill.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1. Return to the Brooks Range for a month to hunt Caribou and Bear. I already know the spot.

Oh, oh - I hadn't considerd that effect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mako25
I've read, and watched several accounts of Ibex hunts. Looks like a challenge to say the least. Just getting to an area is a risk, then once the hunt begins, you better be one tough hombre.
Weather, and elevation are extreme, shots are near impossible, and it'd be easier to open a minerals mine -- by hand -- than retreive your kill.

Exactly!
grin
I have always done pretty good at high elevations,however, in this case we are talking 14 to 16,000 ft or something like that?
Whole different world, I am sure.

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1- moose 1- musky
2- africa 2- big tuna

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I want a few things
1. To go peacock bass fishing in Brazil.
2. To hunt for Moose somewhere where they grow big.
3. To go Salmon and Halibut fishing in Alaska.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sheep Hunting Anywhere
Africa with my son and Dad

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have always wanted to hunt pronghorn. Maybe some day.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,081
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.