-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I've been interested in the Marlin 1894C with the 18 1/2" barrel and ballard rifling but there seems to be a question of if it will cycle my Ly. #358429 .357 loads with a aol of 1.660". I use these in my revolver and have a bunch of ammo made it in all lengths from 38spl wc loads to long .357 loads.

I read the older post about the Win. and Marlin .357 rifles but do not know that much about the Win. levers. Does anyone know if either one of these rifles would cycle everything or does it just depend on which rifle I get and try?

I have a '94S Marlin in 44 that will cycle the #429421 with a oal of 1.685-90" but was not sure it would till I tryed it.

Bill

GB1

D
DrA Offline
D
I have a 1894C. Mine will shoot everything including your Lyman, but the OAL could be a problem. Mine likes them slightly shorter. Also, I have my doubts as to whether this is the best bullet for a carbine. Most carbines add 300 or 400fps if you use a slower pistol powder, so a gas check will greatly enhance your accuracy and stabalize the bullet. I do believe the Winchester will deal with the bullet a little easier, although many are noted for jamming. That action being suited more for rifle calibers.

I can shoot semiwadcutters easily, although many claim their 1894c's have difficulty with them. I prefer a larger metplat 180gr. cast from the Mountain Molds offering. It has a .280 metplat and has more of its weight out of the case. Powder capacity can be upped and with the gas check, you can realize the full potential of the carbine's barrel. Beartooth Bullets makes a similar bullet. OAL has to be watched, and you will not get that OAL that you enjoy with your revolver.

Good Luck.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thank you for your reply Dr.A. I've seen that name on another forum I believe.

I bet you are right about the gas-checks. I would just need to buy some 38 cal gc's. I gas check my other lead rifle bullets except my 44mag in a '94 Marlin. One fellow told that he could push a bullet beyond the crimp groove and use a Lee taper crimp die (that I already have). But, I see a lot of different 180grn molds that could be bought of even buy some of the ready made lead bullets (Dry Creek or Beartooth) that are gas-checked to see how they work. I've even noticed a couple of molds (one gc and one plain base) from Saeco that are 180grn and look just like the ones I bought from Oregon Trail, but they are trunicated cone and I would like to get some with a wide nose like you are talking about.

How do you like your Mountain Mold (mold or bullets)? My most accurate powder for my revolver and the heavy bullets has been LilGun so far.

Bill

D
DrA Offline
D
Hello again, BlueMoon,

I love those Mountain Mold molds so much, I have a continual itch to replace my other well used molds with the improved versions from MM. Gas checks go on much easier, and bullets fall much easier. I got my wide-metplat bullet off his websight already designed. He also has a 160gr. that is not gas checked. I use Lil Gun, 110, and 2400 with the bullet. I probably have as good a luck with 110, and it gives me the velocity I want. The Lil Gun seems best with the 158gr. stuff. I tried out the Beartooth 185gr. bullets to begin with. They are the most like the Mountain mold offering. For me, this is my most accurate 357 offering. I shoot that bullet in my GP100 and it does well with it as well. Amazingly, the pressure seems a bit high with Lil Gun and that 180gr. bullet at max. Marshall at Beartooth has a load of 16gr. H110. That is for revolvers and carbines. I have not had the guts to try that out yet. His argument is that the decreased friction, and increased case capacity enable a higher load than what we would load as 180gr. jacketed. I'll have to experiment a little more to see. Seems excessive to me, though.
Good Luck
David

R
R
Have any of you had any experience with the rossi 357 Iv been told it is a good weapon?

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just re-read Brian Pearce's .357 article in Handloader (Feb 2001).

He says (paraphrased) the SAAMI max oal is 1.590". Lyman 358429 (oal 1.680") is too long to function through most levers with the exception of the Winchester 94. What comprises "most levers" is a mystery.

I suppose you could use the old trick of using .38 Special brass (or .357 trimmed to length). Not sure what that would do to pressures or safety concerns.

Regards,
JB

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
David,

Take this for what it's worth.

I had a conversation with Bob Baker (Freedom Arms) some time back concerning "high pressure" loads in the FA revolvers using cast bullets. He told me that, although the FA are very strong, the (although remote) possibility of getting a softer than normal cast bullet could push pressures into the stratosphere.

Reduced friction and all, I personally won't take a chance on "something nasty" happening. My eyes ain't so good, but I still need both of them.

Regards,
JB

M
M
" Marshall at Beartooth has a load of 16gr. H110. That is for revolvers and carbines. "

Probably so, tho' it will depend exactly on the seating depth. Quickload comes in pretty handy for estimating safe powder charges for cast bullets in the 357.

All this talk about the fine qualities of the Marlin 1894 357 has me hankering for one. I've always wanted a light lever action for foul weather woods hunting, and I'd also like a 357 rifle for pressure testing cast bullet loads with a Pressure Trace. I haven't handled the Marlin up close and personal, but judging from the pictures, one could place a strain gage the required 1/4" distance from the receiver and still catch the chamber ??? Then maybe we could have some hard data for those 180 gr. cast loads.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (1lessdog, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,951
Posts18,499,053
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.