Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi all I'm looking to get my father in law and brother in laws some knive for x-mass.Who makes a decent affordable knife.
I'm done with outdoor edge products I've had to many of them break.
Dose Case or old timer make any good blades.
I'm asking this in elk hunting cause thats what we do with them
A nice sturdy fixed blade.
Thanks
BBJ

GB1

X
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
X
Try Buck knives, they have always worked well for me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What does "affordable" mean? Lots of good options out there, it just depends on how much you want to spend.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
How much do you want to spend?
I'd look at bark river knife and tool, I have the canadian special and love it as a general camp knife. it has a full tang, and is .172" thick of A2, and cuts like the devil.
On the less expensive side, I would also recommend the A.G. Russell deer hunter. It's sharp as all get up, and you can choose from 2-3 different steels. This is a better skinning blade.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I agree with xploridaho. +1 for Buck knives. I have used one since 1980 and it has never failed me. Mine has a rubber handle and fixed blade. It's not beautiful but it works, it holds an edge and it has never broken even though I have abused it some. I think they cost about $60 now.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
+1 more I broke the tip off of a 110 but it was totally my fault. I have a fixed blade that I have used and abused and it is still going strong.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take a look at the Cold Steel Pendleton Mini Hunter which seems to retail for about $35...A no nonsense hunting knife that will do everything a knife 3 times the price will do..

[Linked Image]

Edited to add if you want a larger, more substantial blade, Cold Steel Mater Hunter is another possiblity at around the $80 mark.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pete E; 09/24/10.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
BBjack,

Which Outdoor Edge products have you had that have broken? I want to buy a new knife and am considering the new Flip-n-zip folder with the gutting blade. I have always thought that OE had a good reputation for building solid knives.

Shoot straight,
Elk Country

Last edited by elkcountry; 09/24/10.

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I met ayoung lady who was working at an outfitters place last wee.Her email is hollylenartyahoo.com.She is a part time farrier and blacksmith who also makes some really nice looking one of a kind knives at decent prices.We ordered two. She is located in Ohio,and will be back sometime in a few weeks.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
cutco makes one. my son gave me. they are around 125 for the more expensive one. cleaned ttwo elk with it. free factory sharpening.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

1) Stay away from anything that looks "COOL"

2) Buck knives are hard to beat

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a fan of Buck Knives. Especially the good ole traditional folder.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like my Buck Vanguard. It's the one with a rubber handle; they also make fancier versions of the Vanguard. It takes an edge well (unlike those 70's Bucks!) and stays sharp and is very sturdy.

I like the looks of that Cold Steel Pendleton...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Here is a new working knife I picked up the other day.

[Linked Image]

It's one of the new Bucklite Max fixed blade drop points. This one is the B&C edition in Hunter orange.

The Kraton handle is a bit brighter than the pics shows. The OAL is 8.5" and the blade is 3.5" of cutting edge. It's made of 420HC and the knife is made in Idaho.

The blade is .010" thick at the spine and it balances on the first finger. It only weighs about 4 ounces bare and 5.5oz with the sheath.

The sheath is OK(I really don't like cordura sheaths). It has a hard plastc liner ,though to it should hold up.

I think I am going to get one of the little skelton Buck Paklite Capers , a mini steel and build a Kydex pack sheath for the set that can be taken down for cleaning.

Last edited by jim62; 09/24/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the wyoming knives, but the bucks have a good reputation. I've also got a browning folding knife with a meat saw and guthook that works like a champ.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The sharp knives today are actually ceramic.

I too like Buck Knives, I have several of them, but when push comes to shove, the knife I carry with me is a cheap old Sharp knife that I bought from Kmart 30 years ago.

It has some of the best steel that I have ever seen on a cheap knife and it holds an awesome edge.

If you were hunting Elk, you would want to carry several knifes and not just one. I would figure 3. 1 to gut, one to cut out the anus, one to skin and one to de bone. If you left everything to one knife, you run the risk of loosing your knife and not getting the job done. Or having it go dull and having a hard time getting it to do the work. Especially in low light or no light at all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If sticking to production knives, do yourself and your giftees a favor...Fallkniven F1.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
^ I use this knife and it's awesome. Very sharp and tough as nails. It's about $100-125, though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jim62
Here is a new working knife I picked up the other day.

[Linked Image]

It's one of the new Bucklite Max fixed blade drop points. This one is the B&C edition in Hunter orange.

The Kraton handle is a bit brighter than the pics shows. The OAL is 8.5" and the blade is 3.5" of cutting edge. It's made of 420HC and the knife is made in Idaho.

The blade is .010" thick at the spine and it balances on the first finger. It only weighs about 4 ounces bare and 5.5oz with the sheath.

The sheath is OK(I really don't like cordura sheaths). It has a hard plastc liner ,though to it should hold up.

I think I am going to get one of the little skelton Buck Paklite Capers , a mini steel and build a Kydex pack sheath for the set that can be taken down for cleaning.

I like that!

The "new" materials are amazing. I have a Benchmade Vex clip knife with a synthetic handle that is, as far as I can tell, indestructible! I like it because it was only like $30 so I can abuse it daily without guilt... unlike my more expensive knives...

I don't usually take deer apart in the field so I actually only carry a couple very small knives deer hunting. A tiny little featherweight Schrade and a Kershaw with an aluminum handle that is very light. For elk I carry that Buck Vanguard and a Gerber combo knife/saw. But I still use the tiny Scrade for gutting. I'm like a surgeon with that little thing! Nah, but it's much easier to NOT puncture guts while working inside the cavity with that little knife.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
EC,
We went through every knife and saw in their field kit. Then we broke 2 swing blade. Nice design but not up to the task of elk x6. Caper snaped around the 2nd set of horns. This was a year ago , we got the field kit free after 2 busted capers and a grizz kit.
As to affordable under a 100 bucks.
I will look into the other tips.
Has any one heard about the Bone collector (not wadels)
Thanks
BBJ

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 65 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,802
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.