Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I have a friend that is a "rocket scientist" (Lawrence Livermore Labs). He has a causal interest in shooting and hit me with this exact arguement. He stated that the bedding, action, rings and scope tube should all be the same to avoid "thermal unrest" (his words not mine). He explained the flexing issues and after examining a model 700, he felt the open action top was a problem for true precison. He then looked at my Surgeon RSR with the smaller port and steel rail and wondered why anyone would ever bother to use a 700 action and go for extreme precison. He saved the best for last though. After going through all the minuta he said that is was all out the window as soon as you left a test tunnel and missed a 2mph wind call.

Also just thinking out loud...how do we confirm that the bedding block is offsetting the flex from the tube? What if they were both moving in the same directions, wouldnt that double the potential movment from thermal expansion? I have no dog in this fight, I run everything from Mcmillan, HS light varmint and the Mcree stocks.

JBurns,
Speaking of the Mcree, why not just go that route or something similiar and get away from bedding entirely. I know its not pretty but performance wins over cosmetics for LR shooting.

Al Harral has done a variety of test on thermal expansion and his page is worth a look.
http://varmintal.com/ashot.htm#Scope_Base

Last edited by varmintsinc; 09/24/10. Reason: added Mcree reference

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JBurns
Dave,

Yes all P105 are fully bedded.

Jwp475 meet Broken Record.

Broken Record meet jwp475.

You two have a lot in common.

Wouldn't the bedding adversely affect the transfer of heat into the bedding block? I guess one solution might be using Devcon Aluminum, but that info may be proprietary. wink

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ruistola

[Linked Image]

I'm glad you posted that picture, I'm a visual kind of guy. I think I could eliminate that flexing problem by putting epoxy in one ring and grease in the other. smile

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ruistola

[Linked Image]

You're diagram is absolutely wrong.

The red arrows above the scope indicate tension or a pulling-apart situation. The drawing of the scope indicates compression or a pushing-together situation.

Both simultaneously, is not possible.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I think his drawing is correct. Given you realize the red arrows indicate theoretical movement given the forces at hand and you consider the drawn movements as likely actual movement.

What I'm saying is, I believe the thin aluminum scope tube would bend and give more readily than the thick steel action resulting in the bow in the scope tube. I think the aluminum bedding block would do like wise. Action flex would be minimal aluminum bedding block or not.

Last edited by Chesapeake; 09/24/10.

Rick
IC B2

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
All of which still assumes that aluminum of 2 different alloys and 2 different temperatures would flex at the same time and in the proper directions to counteract one another. One out in the air with 2 bands of steel clamped down on it and the other in the middle of a puddle of fiberglass. Always and at any given time.

Whole of of dancing there....

Me

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Regarding my drawing. The point I'm trying to illustrate is the scope has increased in length compared to the receiver, thus resulting in two (equal) force vectors trying to push the scope rings apart. This will translate into a bending force that tries to twist the receiver into a reverse U- shape. Similarily for the aluminum bedding block.

I'm not making any assumption here as to the validity of the hypothesis. Feel free to continue arguing. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's pretty amazing, given the variables discussed thus far, that we don't measure our groups in feet.
At some point, long ago, we entered the realm of diminishing returns.
Further improvements will require quantum increases in cost and complexity for very small gain.
Let's go shoot sumpthin.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
So, if the scope decides to flex side to side instead of up and down does the bedding block instinctively know to flex side to side to even out the stress on the action....

hangunnr

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,302
Posts18,487,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.