Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I spoke with a guy that has went with the outfitter I am hunting with a couple times and he said he was advised by the Canadian workers that process the firearms for entering into Canada that the bolt should be removed and placed in a separate check bagged not in the rifle case. This concerns me, is this what you guys do?

Also I think I remember hearing to complete the firearm declaration prior to flying out but do not sign it, you will sign at Customs entering Canada, is that correct?

1 more week to wait.

PASS IT ON!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Canada has a website that spells everything out in very good detail. When I moved and drove from Alaska to Colorado I looked up everything there and didn't have a problem with anything.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, check out the website.

The removing-the-bolt advice sounds like BS to me, partly because there are too many rifles (and shotguns) that don't have a removable bolt. It might be an airline regulation, but it ain't Canada's. You might recheck with the outfitter on that.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I hunted in Canada for five years (SK and AB), and their government and hunting group sites are excellent. They are great for killing FUD like the bolt thing. I have cleared customs flying and driving, with no problems either mode, although driving in seems more laid back.

If you have convictions in your past you want to do something about that before trying to enter Canada by the way.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Here you go - open this link. It will answer your questions.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/visit/index-eng.htm

I compete in rifle matchs in Canada and spend a lot of time there, the firearms laws are not as difficult to deal with as commonly thought.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Send rackmastr a PM, he's a Canada Customs guy. If you are driving through Saskatchewan or ALberta you will probably meet a reasonably guy at the border.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I'm originally from Alberta, now live in the U.S. (for the last 10 years) and head back up there every year to hunt whitetails with my brother. When crossing the border all you need is the firearms declaration form filled out (don't sign it until you in front of the customs officer) and pay the fee. The guys at the border often don't even open the gun case to look in. Make sure you have the "Certification of Personal Effects Taken Abroad" form filled out by on the U.S. side and signed by a U.S. customs officer before you leave so when you come back into the U.S., you can bring your rifle back in with you without any hassle. Removing the bolt is not necessary.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (308xray, 300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 34 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.