Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
cs Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just stumbled across AK board, and had to add a post.<BR>I've always wanted to go to Alaska, was just wanting some opinions on what to hunt there. How hard is it for a non-resident to hunt in Alaska?<BR>What would be a good hunt for an introduction to AK? I suppose once you go there, you WILL go back someday. I'm watching Northern Exposure right now, probably the closest I'll ever get (don't even know how accurate the show is).<BR>What would be some advice for a future AK hunter hopefull?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For a first time hunter up here, I would not suggest moose. alot of first timers cant imagine how big these animals are until one is down, unless of course you have hunted moose or elk in the lower 48. then you know what you are getting into. I would go for caribou or even black bear.<BR>Its not hard at all for a non-res to hunt up here, if you have the money. sometimes its not even cheap for residents.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dittos to what Joel said. It really isn't that different then traveling to hunt any other area. Sucess is dependent on you doing as much research as possible.<P>I personally think one of the most fun hunts, that are fairly reasonable, are the black bear boat hunts. You are on a boat for a week, get to do fishing, the boats usually run a crab pot, and you hunt the shores for black bears. Your airfare up, license and tag, and hunt cost will run you $3k plus. There are similar hunts for deer on Kodiak. It will be some of the best $ you ever spend. <P>Even if you can't swing a hunt, consider flying up, renting a car, and driving and camping around the state. We did this on our honeymoon, and got to see alot of the state, on not alot of $<P>As far as Northern Exposure, I really enjoyed that show. As far as how true it is, in alot of ways, it really hits close to the mark, IMHO. It seems like everyone up here has a very interesting story of how they came to the state. There are certainly plenty of excentrics as well.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My only hunt in Alaska (last fall) was a great experience. We were primarily moose hunting but while residents can bag any bull we were restricted to only bulls with 4 brow tines or antlers with a spread over 50 inches. <P>We saw cows, and calves every day and a small bull or two but no bulls legal to take. We were travelling by boat and saw a lot of other hunters (several residents had small bulls hanging). <P>When I go back I'll take the more expensive fly in option and hope to find an area where the bulls grow big before locals take them home. Just my two cents based on one hunts' experience for what it is worth, but I DEFINITELY recommend going. I didn't bag any game, but the trip was worth taking just for the sake of seeing the land I had dreamed of so long and meeting people who became my good friends. I'm looking forward to hunting with them again and bagging Bull-winkle next time!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
CS, Ditto lott on the come up anyway. Do it early summer (early Alaska summer is june!), and go fishing. Lots of roadside King fishing along the susitna or kenai, lots of trout, grayling, some pike. If you have a canoe, there are some unbelievable places to go.<P>For non-resident hunting, your best bet is a fly-out (heck, even for residents). Mssgn/Mike, many areas are 50", 3 or 4 browtines for residents too. There are definetly places where there will be no competion for big mose, though, if you get a flyout. Of course, I think the guides reserve the best moose and spots for the big spenders, but you can have good success with a drop-off (much cheeper than fully guided). Make sure they are not dropping you into a drop-off tent city. There are operators who will put you on a remote strip with 20 other parties and tell you there are lots of moose there. Sure there are, but nothing legal, and if there were, it has already been killed. like Lott said, research is the key.<P>Caribou is different, there are so many, and they move so much, that everyone has a fair chance, once you get dropped off. Try the alaska peninsula, or western alaska.<P>It definetly is different from when even I was growing up here. A moose is no longer guaranteed for residents, in fact, it is pretty tough. Still, for me, there is nowhere else to be, at least that I've found yet. I was lucky enough to be born here, and can't imagine living anywhere else.<P>John<P>

"If a little's good, a lot's better, and way too much is just right!"
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,309
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.