Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Originally Posted by .280Rem
It wasn't that we didn't show a video...there wasn't one, but the jury assumed there was. The defense nor the I even once hinted a video, or the lack of one...it was never mentioned. Why did they just assume? TV I guess.

Jim:

Sounds like something you can cover in voir dire in the future.

"Are you going to hold it against the State that the police department doesn't have the budget to put a video camera in Ofc. Jones' car?"

- Tom

Hammered it home in the second trial this week. Didn't think to cover "non existent video" in the first case. Darn sure did in the second one...got a guilty verdict in less than 30 minutes on that one.

War Damn Eagle!

A
amax155 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I had figured that since he had shot a black cop that it would have been a slam dunk. On another note, The Black mayor and police chief are being called Uncle Toms, because blacks are being arrested more than whites. Go figure.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by amax155
I had figured that since he had shot a black cop that it would have been a slam dunk. On another note, The Black mayor and police chief are being called Uncle Toms, because blacks are being arrested more than whites. Go figure.

Since blacks are the majority in Laurel MS, that doesn't sound all that unusual.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OP is correct

if the facts were known to the cops, convicted felon, escapee, but the biggie, holding a gun and telling the cops you'll shoot them.

that alone should have turned him into a Xmas ham, SMOKE HIM

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
OP is correct

if the facts were known to the cops, convicted felon, escapee, but the biggie, holding a gun and telling the cops you'll shoot them.

that alone should have turned him into a Xmas ham, SMOKE HIM

There are LEO's who are reluctant to use deadly force. I've met a couple, one let a woman chase him around in the woods with a large butcher knife. He tried OC, ASP, with no results. He did finally wound her, she's now serving a sentence of attempted murder. I would of revoked her birth certificate, but everyone is different.

The use of deadly force policies, give you the when, they don't give you the have to. It's still officer descretion, when to use deadly force.

Thank goodness, you don't have to use deadly force everytime, you draw your weapon. There's probably some here, who'ld think bad PoPo for pulling a weapon on John Q. Public, when my life isn't directly in danger. Done more then one traffic stop, with a weapon behind my leg on approach to the veh.

I'll let you do a traffic stop way out in the boonies, on a car load of meth.heads, with your backup 15-20 miles away. That or on some homeboys, are shuffling around in the car. A Surefire laser on a G20, can be a very intimidating attention getter, it encourages people to put their hands up, when requested.

I'ld love to have the resources to do a big, shoot, don't shoot, Officer Survival Seminar, with the non-LE members of this board using Airsoft systems. It would show many how easy it is to get shot, and how you have to work, to stay alive. That on the most plentiful of calls, traffic stops, domestic calls. Put you behind the badge, making those decisions.

It wouldn't all be PC and Officer Friendly stuff. It would show some that, Oh schit, i just shot John Q. Public, because he quickly stuck his hand in his pocket, after telling him to not put his hands in his pocket, and pulled out what appeared to be a weapon, by the way he was gripping it, but it was only a cellphone. Oh heck, you just shot an unarmed citizen, what will the fellows on 24HCF think of the bad PoPo.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
There are LEO's who are reluctant to use deadly force.

Or any force...

One of my many issues with Tasers is the mindset they're bringing about in regards to the use of deadly force. I was having a discussion this week in regards to a "close encounter of the edged kind" that a pard had recently (6 feet or so). The schithead got lucky and didn't get ventilated. The officer I was having the discussion with stated "would have been a good place for a Taser".

A Taser! WTF! A dude has a pair of knives 6' from me and he's pushing flowers.

The mindset is changing and not for the better.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Agreed with both George and Hunter1960 in their above posts.

It is a whole different world out there when you wear a badge or star that has to be experienced first hand, over time, to understand.

You can Monday morning QB all you want but till you BTDT you really are clueless.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Hunter I just read that there was a study done on reaction to a violent encounter. The LEO reacted in 2 to 5 seconds and the general public took 10 to 15 seconds. So most would not make it through a shoot or don't shoot.

I would like to see how many 24HCF could even get there gun out of the holster in time. Then they have to make a decision on what to do with that gun once it was clear.

Dink

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Good point George. Have any of the you seen the video that have been playing at the taser re-cert classes? It's one of the large swat teams from Arizona (I think) doing try outs and they show officers that were around before the taser and officers that have only worked since the taser. Officers that have only worked while wearing a taser would not fight hands on and would run until they could pull there taser and then they would tase the subject but still would not fight hand to hand.

I think thats bad.

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DINK
Hunter I just read that there was a study done on reaction to a violent encounter. The LEO reacted in 2 to 5 seconds and the general public took 10 to 15 seconds. So most would not make it through a shoot or don't shoot.

I would like to see how many 24HCF could even get there gun out of the holster in time. Then they have to make a decision on what to do with that gun once it was clear.

Dink

Oh yeah brother, i'm a big fan of the OODA loop when dealing with encounters, observe, orientate, decide & act. Folks have to remember that, action (the bad guys) is quicker then reaction, (yours).

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NH K9
There are LEO's who are reluctant to use deadly force.

Or any force...

One of my many issues with Tasers is the mindset they're bringing about in regards to the use of deadly force. I was having a discussion this week in regards to a "close encounter of the edged kind" that a pard had recently (6 feet or so). The schithead got lucky and didn't get ventilated. The officer I was having the discussion with stated "would have been a good place for a Taser".

A Taser! WTF! A dude has a pair of knives 6' from me and he's pushing flowers.

The mindset is changing and not for the better.

George

It's funny, but sad. I've seen the same happen over the years, with other less then lethal Wpns. When "Cop in a Can" OC became so widely used, same type of issue. It was used in situations where LEO's were injured, where a more direct approach would of worked. I've read incredible stories of LEO's using an impact weapon (ASP) against an edged weapon, with injuries to the LEO.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by Foxbat

I think this was just as important:

But the jury � made up of six black women, four white women and three white men � was unable to reach a verdict on the aggravated assault of a police officer charge.

The odds of six black women finding a young black man guilty, are generally pretty poor.

Had a similar problem on my jury this week.

I imagine that makes prosecutors pull their hair out plenty.

Did you see that case Ford lost with the minor league baseball player in Mississippi recently?

Kid tries to drive from Port St. Lucie (Mets training camp) back home to Mississippi. Falls asleep at the wheel, get's thrown from the Ford Explorer and dies. Seat belt wasn't on. Passenger had his seat belt on and walked away.

Black females made up majority of jury. Found against Ford for like 8 or 9 figures.....Boggles the mind.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Don't put too much emphasis on anything a Jones County jury does. The incidence of large jury verdicts for plaintiffs in Jones County caused the Supreme Court to revise the rules on venue to make it more difficult to bring such actions in Jones County. It didn't get the name "Free State of Jones" by accident.

Stryker60

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dink

I'm thinkin there might be a few on the ole 24hr Campfire that might surprise you how fast they can get into action mode.

the part that chafes me is how differently it's viewed when a citizen either draws or uses his weapon vs.when a LEO does same.

when help is just minutes away I like to have my finger right outside the trigger guard. YMMV

P.S. I don't blame you a bit for some of the rural stops you've made with weapon drawn. If you look up Trooper Allen Hines, my sis dated his lil brother all thru high school. Great family Curly, Helen, Allen and Keith. What happened to Allen and even more sadly to his partner should never happen. Godspeed to the guys in LEO, you get up close and personal with elements most of us in society have the option to go around the block to avoid. But when they can't be avoided, I'll have my finger just outside the trigger guard.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Godspeed to the guys in LEO, you get up close and personal with elements most of us in society have the option to go around the block to avoid.

Boy, you said a mouthful there, 2L2Q. Not being there is not an option most of the time.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would be nice if some of the fine folks here could get an opportunity to ride along for a week or so with a street crimes unit in one of the country's finer cities.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Really? You want some of these folks in a cruiser with you for a few hours?

Hell, I don't like spending a shift in the car with another cop if I have a choice. I sure as hell don't want anybody else in there with me for that long.

Probably why I work a dog..... wink

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sounds exciting to a civilian until the fecal material hits the oscillating device. Then the recliner by the TV looks pretty alluring. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by oulufinn
Bull. An armed, escaped felon who won't drop his weapon... Smoke 'em. Some of the actual thuggery (Madison, WI, Dearborn, MI, etc..) that goes on is in no way comparable to this. Your chip must weigh heavily on your shoulder.
Big +1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good point George. Have any of the you seen the video that have been playing at the taser re-cert classes? It's one of the large swat teams from Arizona (I think) doing try outs and they show officers that were around before the taser and officers that have only worked since the taser. Officers that have only worked while wearing a taser would not fight hands on and would run until they could pull there taser and then they would tase the subject but still would not fight hand to hand.

I think thats bad.

Dink

Haven't seen the vid but I'm not surprised.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,105 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,740
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.