-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It just so happens that I am also in the camp of the scope being in focus when brought to shoulder.

Having a scope slightly higher or lower does not effect the focus of the scope.The focus is normally adjusted at the eyepiece of the scope,not by varying ring height.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHA.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure about this topic. It's a bit confusing. I'll hold off until I hear what Jeff Olsen has to say...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
It just so happens that I am also in the camp of the scope being in focus when brought to shoulder.

Having a scope slightly higher or lower does not effect the focus of the scope.The focus is normally adjusted at the eyepiece of the scope,not by varying ring height.

Excuse me E, I thought you weren't here. What kind of nonsense is that, not having the scope come into perfect alignment with my eye is what I meant, and you knew it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
not having the scope come into perfect alignment with my eye is what I meant,

Then why didn't you simply say that instead of mentioning focus? grin

and you knew it.

If there is one thing that I have learned on these forums,it is to go by what people say,and not to assume what they might mean.

IC B2

Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gentlemen,

From the posts that stubblejumper has made, I have been able to discover a pattern. He appears to think everything is either/or. And I think he just likes to argue. But that's just my unsubstantiated opinion; not like the facts I posted about trajectory.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But that's just my unsubstantiated opinion; not like the facts I posted about trajectory.

I never disputed the information in your post.I did post some example calculations to show the differences between typical high rings and low rings with a typical varmint cartridge,after another poster stated that higher rings resulted in several inches difference in the point of impact,that caused him to miss groundhogs.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
stubblejumper,

Like I wrote, you like to argue. Maybe it's because of one more observation. smile You are defencive. blush

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are defencive.

I can't be something that doesn't exist! smirk

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Brother Dave
I'm not sure about this topic. It's a bit confusing. I'll hold off until I hear what Jeff Olsen has to say...

That right there, is funny....

Though it makes about as much sense as the rest of this BS thread....

I better haulazz to the local whoreshop tomorrow, to buy my ultra-high See-Thru mounts, so my rifle can shoot a whoppin' SCH flatter at half-a-mile; accuracy and repeatability be damned, ruggedness be buggered, and commonsense be f'ked.....

Mythology is grand, to the believers, it seems....

IC B3

JBD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And now we know.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by sawbuck

Years ago, when my uncle was a young man, he discovered or was told he could sight in his 06 at 25 yds and be on at 100 also. He is down to his final hunting years and struggling to make meat.

Recently, after a series of misses over the last few years, I inquired if he had sighted his rifle lately. He stated that he had a couple years ago and that he did the 25yd thing.
I told him that what was true when he was shooting irons won't be the same now, because his rifle is now scoped and with see through mounts at that. That height above bore had increased and that in any case if he was an inch off at 25 yds he would be 4 inches off at 100 yds.
He of course thinks I'm full of it and a dumb sumbitch to boot....

the last thing you want on a 100 yard or less deer rifle or brush gun, is a high scope mount. It causes a higher amount of difference between POA and POI at shorter ranges i.e. under 100 yards- true it makes the gun shoot higher and therefore further on the same cartridge/velocity- but the difference between POA and POI grows as the scope height is raised.

Look at this simply diagram- notice what happens in under 100 yards. Brush mounts with a tunnel under the scope mount for using the open sights might seem like a good idea, but then the scope sighting is compromised- and you may as well just take the scope and mounts off, and use the open sights. The tunnel under the scope is an antiquated idea from the early 1920's when scope mounts weren't very good, and shooters wanted a back up sight i.e. iron sights in case their scopes fogged up or came loose, etc.

[Linked Image]

the curved line represents the bullet trajectory- the straight line just above it a low mounted scope- the line just about that a high mounted scope. As the scope is mounted progressively higher on the gun, the difference between POA and POI over the trajectory path will only grow larger. Sure, you can sight in dead on for 200 yards still, but it will be way off at 25 to 75 yards, which is the range most brush hunting is done at.

I'd take open sights over a very high mounted scope for under-100 yard shooting, any day. Think about it, if the scope was mounted very high, the sight line will intersect the bullet path at ever increasing higher angle, meaning anywhere before or after the actual zero point, it's going to be further off than a low mounted scope.

it has to be, it's common sense, the angle between line of sight and trajectory is being increased with higher scope mounting

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had trouble wading through your post and wasn't about to read 6 pages of crap. But the title "scope height infleuence on trajectory"..... Scope height isn't gonna change trajectory, but start getting real high with the scope and you definitely notice that "perceived" trajectory seems flatter. Bullets seem to drop less because they're actually going higher above line of sight. I discovered this with my AR which isn't a flattop and the scope height is 4" above boreline.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
CaptainCrossman,

Most woulda bet this thread was dead. The only reason I am respondng is because you used two different points of impact. Do the same thing with the same point of impact and see what you get.

Ackman,
Bullets seem to drop less because they're actually going higher above line of sight. I discovered this with my AR which isn't a flattop and the scope height is 4" above boreline.

If you actually fire to test your idea you will discover the bullet does not go higher above the line of sight. I use repeatable science to proove to myself what happens.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ringman

Ackman,
Bullets seem to drop less because they're actually going higher above line of sight. I discovered this with my AR which isn't a flattop and the scope height is 4" above boreline.

If you actually fire to test your idea you will discover the bullet does not go higher above the line of sight.

"Actually fire to test" my idea?" I've shot that gun a whole bunch. But have it your own way.....you're a jerkoff and I'm not gonna argue about it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ackman,

But have it your own way.....

That's might kind of you.

Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
...The high rings shoot closer to the line of sight...
It's patently obvious that the opposite is true.

...That means flatter trajectory without higher velocity...
Nope. Sir Isaac Newton sez yer full of it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Magnumdood,

Test for yourself. Then you will not sound so ignorant to those of us who have either run the computations or fired the test at range.

Even Ken mentioned the point blank range is extended with the higher rings.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
...The high rings shoot closer to the line of sight...
It's patently obvious that the opposite is true.

...That means flatter trajectory without higher velocity...
Nope. Sir Isaac Newton sez yer full of it.

Magnumdood is right. The trajectory of the bullet(amount of drop) remains the same.

The line of sight remains straight,always.This never changes.With higher scope mounting,the trajectory is manipulated so that the bullet must rise higher to intersect the line of sight the first time,and travels farther before intersecting the line of sight the second time(the distance at which it is "zeroed"). This gives the impression that a slower cartridge shoots "flatter" but in actuality it does not.

Given bullets of equal ballistic properties, it is impossible for the slower one to have a "flatter" trajectory than the "faster' one.....I suck at math and physics, and even I can understand that...... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Magnumdood,

Test for yourself. Then you will not sound so ignorant to those of us who have either run the computations or fired the test at range.

Even Ken mentioned the point blank range is extended with the higher rings.

Ringman, or should I say Rainman, I could not look more ignorant than you if I tried. In the real world there is no free lunch; no free lunch no cold fusion. To get a flatter trajectory you have to impart more energy to the projectile. Your "Super-high EZ see" rings in no way contribute any energy to the projectile in the cartridge under them. What you're doing is manipulating the angle of the departure of the projectile. If you put your rifle equipped with your "Super-high EZ see" rings in a vise and fired a round, then took the "Super-high EZ see" rings off and fired another round, the two bullets would follow identical trajectories, striking paper targets at 100, 200 & 300 yards in identical spots, then fall to the earth in the same spot. There ain't no free lunch.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (21, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 60 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,397
Posts18,527,896
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.