Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Used books for sale. PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS. I don't do PayPal but do take MOs, cash, and personal checks if you can wait a couple of days for them to clear (or have bought from me before). Please ask any questions by PM, not on this thread. First "I'll take book #____" on this thread gets the book.

Western History

1) "Law West of Fort Smith: A History of Frontier Justice in the Indian Territory, 1834 to 1896" by Glenn Shirley. Study of the workings of the Federal Court of the Western District of Arkansas. Focuses on "Hanging Judge" Parker and his struggles with the Daltons, Youngers, and Starrs, among others. University of Nebraska Bison Press paperback 343 pp. w/b/w photos in exc. cond. $6

2)SPF "River of No Return" by Johnny Carrey and Cort Conley. A history and gazeteer of the Salmon River and its main tributaries. FULL of photos of people, places, and "improvements" from the pioneer days: miners, trappers, guides, and eccentrics. Maps of the places cited in the text. By two natives of the country. Oversized paperback 325 pp. Backeddy Press, ID. in exc. cond. $6

3)SPF "The Snake River of Hell's Canyon" by Johnny Correy, Cort Conley, and Ace Barton. Companion volume to the above which chronicles the settlement and boat traffic on the upper Snake River: steamers, drift boats, rafts. FULL of historic photos, and the author's maps. Lots of Nez Perce Indian details. O/S paperback 409 pp. Backeddy Press, ID. in exc. cond. $7

4) SPF "Sitting Bull, Champion of the Sioux" by Stanley Vestal. A "new" edition (1956) of the original 1932 book which includes the new material that the author wouldn't print during the lifetimes of his Indian informants (The original book was the first biography of a native leader that was taken mainly from Indian sources). Hardbound 374 pp. w/27 b/w photos in exc. cond w/very good dust jacket. University of OK Press $6

5)SPF "Fort Union Trading Post: Fur Trade Empire on the Upper Missouri" by Erwin N. Thompson. History of the trading post established in North Dakota by the American Fur Company in 1829 which became a major frontier outpost and is now part of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Early fur trade, Indian Wars, and early ranching. O/S paperback 119 pp. in exc./new cond w/b/w photos and color repros of early paintings. $4

Civil War books

6)SPF "Secret Missions of the Civil War" by Phillip Van Doren Stern. Covers both Federal and Confederate secret service missions in US, Canada, Europe and the high seas. Sabotage, secret weapons, gun running, spies, commando raids, espionage, and "de-stabilization." Taken from contemporary accounts and government archives. Hardbound 320 pp. in exc. cond w/exc. dust jacket. $6

7) "The Iron Brigade: A Military History" by Alan T. Nolan. Complete history of the "Black Hat Brigade," one of the most famous units of the War. From its formation in IN, WI, and MI thru Fredericksburg to Gettysburg and the war's end. Rosters, maps, contemporary photos: a thorough study. Paperback Indiana University Press 425 pp in exc. cond. $7

8)SPF "Civil War Trivia and Factbook" by Webb Garrison. "More than 2000 unusual, interesting, and little-know facts in one volume with 33 small articles and 48 unusual photographs and stories". Organized by Blue, Gray, subjects, and theaters of the war, with bibliography and index. Ovesized paperback in exc./new cond. $5

Outdoor Topics

9) SPF"'Outdoor Life's' Complete Book of Outdoor Lore" by Clyde Ormond. Classic how-to book on all outdoors topics from basics to survival and tracking. Covers all wildlife in North America, edible plants, shelter, gear, etc. NO "technology"; all "old school"--map, compass, cold steel. Full of tips, illus. w/b/photos and the author's VERY neat line drawings. Pocket-sized hardbound 504 pp. w/exc. text and illus, very good covers, and torn dust jacket. $5

10) "Bears of the World" by Terry Domico. A picture book that covers all of the six living families of bears worldwide, bear history, evolution, and the natural history of each type. Fully illus. w/color photos. 9"x12" hardbound 204 pp. w/exc. text and pix but only VG covers and has kid's writing on the inside cover. $5

11) SPF "An Age of Barns" by Eric Sloane. Classic study by the well-known painter and Americanist. Covers all types of US wooden and stone barns in GREAT detail with special attention to joining, framing, and fittings. Contains color repros of Sloane's paintings of classic barns and a study of all types of barns, silos, etc. shown in intricate line drawings. A beautiful book especially useful to restorers and traditional blacksmiths. 8 1/2" x 11" quality paperback 140 pp. with exc. cond text and illus. w/corner wear on the VG cover. $7

Fishing books

12) "The World Guide to Fly Fishing" by Jim Capralis. The first comprehensive guide to fly fishing outside the USA. Location descriptions and local resources plus tackle guide, fish types and records in every location. Illus. w/many b/w photos of world fish and fishing. Hardbound 460 pp. in new cond. w/new dust jacket. $7

13) "The Complete Surfcaster: Tackle, Strategies, and Techniques" by C. Boyd Pfeiffer. Complete "how-to" tackle, bait, rigs, lures, knots, "reading the surf," pier and jetty fishing, and fish species. Includes both coasts. OS paperback 204 pp. illus w/b/w photos, diagrams. New cond. $6

Old Gun books

14) SPF" 'Guns Illustrated' Annual 1989" . The "yearbook" you know, but from 20 years ago. Covers all guns sold in US that year plus articles on various milsurp and shooting topics including the Russian Tokarev WWII rifles and Frech 1935 auto service pistols,etc. Well-worn but complete and readable. $4

15) SPF "Famous Guns from Famous Collections" by Hank W. Bowman. A 1950s "news stand paperback" (Fawcett "How-To" series) on gun collecting. One of the earliest mass-market gun books. Covers American guns from colonial times to the Western outlaws, each illus. w/b/w photos. Paperback 144 pp. in readable but well-used shape. "A blast from the past"! $3

If you made it this far, thanks for reading my (usual) long, windy post!

Mike Armstrong

Last edited by Mike Armstrong; 09/26/10.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll take numbers 2, 3, and 4. Good winter reading. Tell me where to send funds, thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
9,11 if shipping is reasonable..

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Books #2,3.4 SPF to bearmgc.

books #9 and 11 SPF to SoTexasH.

Thanks for buying, guys! PMs on the way.

I forgot to mention in my original post: PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS.

Sorry; must've been too early in the AM for me!

Mike Armstrong

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'll take 5, 6, 14 and 15. Pm me with payment/address.

thanks,
dave

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
take #8,pm w/ info,thanks ron

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Books #s 5,6,14, and 15 SPF to ilikemilitaria

#8 SPF to rong

Thanks for buying, guys! PMs on the way.

Mike Armstrong

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
BTT just the once.

I'll sell those two fishing books for $10 shipped for BOTH.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
payment went out this morning.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll take #10

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
funds out today ,thanks.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
# 1 & #13 ,if avail.,I'll take 'em,PM me & lemme know a ttl.,and details
Thanks,
-Vince

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Books 1 and 13 SPF to VinceM. PM sent. Thanks!

Mike Armstrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (808outdoors, 44automag, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,267 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,132
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.