Print Thread
Hop To
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
my son and i got a few last week. was wondering if anyone had a particular recipe they found suitable for lope. thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I generally cook the steaks with salt pepper garlic powder and grill or fry as any other meat. My wife subs ground antelope into everything from egg-rolls to spaghetti.She often mixes it with grnd beef or pork. The plan for this year is to steak the back straps and everything else goes into summer sausage or kielbasa with cheese and jalapenos.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I guess it depends on the antelope. I haven't taken all that many. But, everyone one of them has been as mild tasting as any game I've ever had, young elk included.

So, for tonight, I'm going to season steaks from this year's take with steak seasoning and cook on the grill, away from the direct heat until the thermometer reads about 135. Then let sit for a few minutes in it's own juice to self cook internally just a little bit before serving it up.

If I thought it were going to be stronger in flavor, I'd go with sausage.

Steve

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The antelope we get are truly tasteful.Something I cannot say for all of them. Steaks,I salt with seasoned salt,pepper and a little ground sage. After searing ,I sprits with oleo or olive oil to get some moistness.Secret is to not over cook.l do until the pink is just barely gone.I don't like bloody. I do not add anything to the grind, and treat it as any other burger meat. We double grind with a courses blade. When cooking,turn only once

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Secret is to not over cook.

Amen to that.

Reporting to say I did it a bit different tonight with a 30 minute marinade before going on the grill. Excellent stuff. Too bad those critters aren't bigger.

Steve

IC B2

H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
thanks men.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As a funny side note for those who say it tastes bad......

Antelope vs. Beef: The controversy ends

From the U.S. Pronghorn Antelope Council

Controversy has long raged about the relative quality and taste of antelope and beef as gourmet foods. Some people say antelope is tough, with a strong "wild" taste. Others insist antelope's flavor is delicate. An independent food research group was retained by the Pronghorn Antelope Council to conduct a taste test to determine the truth of these conflicting assertions once and for all.

First, a Grade A Choice Angus steer was chased into the Red Desert of Wyoming a mile and a half from a road and gut shot several times. After some of the entrails were removed, the carcass was rinsed using water seeping from an exposed coal seam and dragged back over rocks, sage brush and bentonite flats to the road. It was then thrown into the back of a pickup truck complete with freshly sprayed Rhino Lining and immediately driven 85 miles over dusty roads to the nearest tavern where it was allowed to season though the afternoon and into the night before being hung in a garage late morning of the following day.

After being sufficiently blown by flies it was skinned and rolled around for awhile on the black spot on the concrete floor of the garage. Within the limitations of the butchering environment, strict sanitary precautions were observed throughout the test, for instance, dogs and cats were allowed to sniff and lick the steer carcass, but most of the time were chased away when they attempted to bite chunks out of it.

Next, a sheet of plywood left from last year's butchering was set up in the basement on two saw horses. The pieces of dried blood and hair left from last year were scraped off with a wire brush last used to clean out the grass stuck under the lawn mower.

The skinned carcass was then dragged down the steps into the basement where a half dozen inexperienced but enthusiastic and intoxicated men worked on it with meat saws, cleavers, hammers and dull knives. The result was 375 pounds of soup bones, four bushel baskets of meat scraps, and a couple of steaks that were an eighth of an inch thick on one edge and an inch and a half thick on the other edge.

The steaks were seared on a glowing red hot cast iron skillet to lock in the flavor. When the smoke cleared, rancid bacon grease was added, along with three pounds of onions, and the whole conglomeration was fried for two more hours.

The meat was gently teased from the frying pan and served to three intoxicated and blindfolded taste panel volunteers. Every member of the panel thought it was antelope. One volunteer even said it tasted exactly like the antelope he has eaten for the past 27 years.

The results of this scientific test conclusively show that there is no difference between the taste of beef and antelope... grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Say what you want...they taste like they smell...a little too "goaty" for my taste..

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.