Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
And the definition gets weirder when spoken of by people who don't shoot. We frequently hear on the news of someone being shot with a large caliber handgun and then we find out it was a 9mm or a .38 Special.

It's only a name. It could just as easily have been Nosler Partition.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is John "Podoro: Taylor's tome "African Rifles and Cartridges" enough of a valid reference sourse. How about the definitions from the various British Proof Houses and gunmakers who developed and tested all these cartridges back at the dawn of the 20th Century? works for me. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Let someone shoot either a German or Jap 378 Wby (super light barrel and no brake) and then try and convince them that 375 is not a big bore grin grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Is John "Podoro: Taylor's tome "African Rifles and Cartridges" enough of a valid reference sourse. How about the definitions from the various British Proof Houses and gunmakers who developed and tested all these cartridges back at the dawn of the 20th Century? works for me. jorge

Agree with jorg and tonk. I'll leave it to the Brits and African standards to determine what a big bore or medium is.When it comes to big bore rifles and truly large game,Americans are rookies at both.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[Linked Image]

As unequivocally valid and meaningless as every other reference to 'big'. Define a big deer, a big truck, et al.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I thought traditionaly it was .40 and larger. But in the US my impression is that it starts with the .375. And I'm ok with that too.

----------
Hunting is my religion
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably the same people that see this:
[Linked Image]

And say "nice Water Buffalo." or depending of what the meaning of "is" is.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

jorge you must be kidding it doesn't have big enough horns to be a water buffalo. HeHeHe. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jorge, yeah, mine gets called a water buffalo by the non hunter types all of the time, sometimes by a deer hunter as well. I gently explain the difference.....

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The nomenclature likely dates to the days of the gauge designations 4 bore, 6 bore, etc. A big bore was probably anything above the size normally used for shooting birds.

IIRC this is correct, the original term "Big Bore" was used to describe the large caliber "bore" rifles used on early African game. These rifles were so terribly painful to shoot that calibers like the .458 and other modern day "big bore" rifles were developed as a suitable replacement.

Who says it doesn't pay to read all the brochures at the SCI conference. Personally I like the designation of .40 and higher for modern rifles. Not handgun rounds that are used in rifles.

Deal with it.
IC B3

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
isn't it just easier to talk about the cartridge you're shooting, rather than worrying about what classification of bore size it's in?

again, "big bore" is an outdated, useless designation that is utterly meaningless unless it's clearly defined - which it's not ... at least not these days.

-WGM-
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I find it amusing that less than 1/100th inch of difference in bullet diameter separates the medium-bore 9.3's from the big-bore .375s.

Less than 1/32nd of an inch separates .375 from .40. That's a little thicker than the average finger-nail.

Some people I know define big-bore as any cartridge that will knock the shooting glasses off your nose. Others say it's any round that results in a headache after three rounds. One smart-ass even suggested that anybody who thinks he can define "big bore" with a number is one.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
40 or above in my opinion

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WGM
again, "big bore" is an outdated, useless designation that is utterly meaningless unless it's clearly defined - which it's not ... at least not these days.

Agreed 100% it made sense when talking about 4 bore and 6 bore not so much anymore.

Deal with it.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
this post.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
safariman

I picked up one of those plastic Rem 700 in .375H&H NIB online for about $520. I feel that I can be critical about them. I've not shot it yet, but the first thing that I noticed is that I can not get down on the open sights with that stock. Duh!

Maybe I'll sell it to someone due too it being NIB and get a CZ or the old Whitworth that I have always wanted.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Despite the nitpicking, we have to start somewhere...

This thread is located in the Forum list under: "Big Bores Only" tired Think I'll go get some sleep now, and go hunting tomorrow... much more profitable! wink

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AKBoater
Originally Posted by WGM

Agreed 100% it made sense when talking about 4 bore and 6 bore not so much anymore.

If it makes no sense then why do we have a big bore forum? Seems that there should be a definition don't you think

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry but that was Al Millers very own classification and it just does not hold water, not one drop. The Big Bores start at the .40 classification and go upward from their.

The beloved .375H&H caliber is a "medium bore" and always well be regardless if somebody else trys to publish their material can call it something different.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yawwwwnnnnnnnn......this is worse than an Energizer Bunny commercial......

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,418
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.