-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a small grinder, like a 1/5 hp from Cabela's. The first time I used it, it got so hot it burned me. I returned it and got another. It did the same thing. Our club bought their biggest model. It got hot too. We are on our second since I joined in 2004. I was told that Cabela's grinders are made by Thunderbird, which is considered a second rate company. I have been to Cabela's on several occasions to see their grinder refurbs piled high in the bargain cave. I would never buy one.

Bass Pro Shops grinders are the same as LEM, which I am not familiar.

About 12 years ago, I bought a 500 Watt Kitchenaid mixer and a $50 grinding attachment. It still works... and I can make cookies with it too.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the same experience with a Cabela's 1 hp as rob. The auger got so hot the meat would sizzle. Even with short run times of 5-10 min. I tried the grinder importer's fix, which was to replace the grease in the gear unit but that didn't work. So it went back and I got a 3/4 hp LEM and have been happy with it.

I have a KitchenAid grinder attachment too and for small batches use it as it's easier to clean than the big grinder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rob p

About 12 years ago, I bought a 500 Watt Kitchenaid mixer and a $50 grinding attachment. It still works... and I can make cookies with it too.

Careful here... before I bought my Waring, I was planning to get the attachement for my stand mixer (a Kitchenaid) the review ALL said that any made in the last few years are JUNK but the older ones were GREAT... if you could find an old one at a garage sale or something, it seems like it would be a good pic up but from what I read, I would not buy a new one.

I only paid around $100 for the Waring, it was HIGHLY recommended on every site that I read for a small grinder... again, if i had to complain it would be about the small shoot but I could run it straight for 20-30 minutes with no problems.

Andrew
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Found a huge European grinder, 50Hz, 240, 1 1/2hp, and all the attachments for $20 at a garage sale many years ago. It makes a ridiculous amount of noise, but it has ground literal tons of meat and runs continuously as long as needed.

The 20% increase in speed due to being run on our 60 cycle juice does not cause a bit of problem.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought my grinder from Cabelas in 1999 -- it is a Sausage Maker Inc EM-10, and it works like an utter joy. Mine was made in Poland -- most if not all of the grinders sold by Cabelas et al these days are made in China, and they're just crap.

There are several available made in places that know how to make things that work -- but I do think it matters to be very careful where the models you're looking at are made.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
the bigger the better?

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any grinder will work better if the meat is slightly frozen. Warm meat will not move through the blade and plates as easily and will tend to bung things up a bit.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I don't know about the 1/2 hp. But I am very happy with my 3/4 hp cabella's grinder. No buyers remorse here. If making sausage, I would encourage getting a stuffer. That will be my next purchase. Regrinding to stuff is a pain and a slow process.

+1.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I bought one many years ago from Northern tool for about $100. It has done more elk and deer than I care to remember and is still runnning srtong.I just did another elk with it a few weeks ago

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Noone has mentioned the Gander Mountain Guide Series grinders. I've been looking at them, are tehy worth buying?

[Linked Image]
IC B3

T
TCB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Pete E
I bought this 1/2HP one from Northern Tool on recommendation of somebody at the Campfire and I believe you'd have to spend at least twice the price to get a better one.

Northern Tool Meat Grinder.

Prior to this, I looked at several different models available locally, some costing three times the price and endorsed by so called "celebrity chefs", and none had metal gears/drive train as this grinder does. (Do not buy a grinder with plastic gears or drive as they won't last!)

Click on the clink and the select the "Customer Reviews" and you'll see a lot of very happy customers...

I'll second this. I have the same one and really like it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,483,005
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.