Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hello Everyone! I have been lurking here for some time now, and decided that its time to officially introduce myself. My name is Alex and I am a young 30yrs old. I have been dreaming of Africa for many years now, but cannot find anyone locally that shares my passion....or at least shares my passion for the right reasons. I have read all the books by the greats, classic and modern that I can and still have many left on the list. I WILL one day go to africa and face down Cape Buffalo, and Elephant, and any other dangerous game that I can afford to take on. I estimate that I am 10-12 years away from my dream hunt, but do what I can to prepare myself every day. I am sorry if I am going on, but I have a problem. You see, I am an addict. I cant wait for the day that I stand just a few yards from certain death and prove to myself that I have what it takes to take the actions necessary to prove to myself that I am what I believe I am. I am not fearless. I am not anything more than an average man. I do, however have the urge to feel the primal man inside myself. I would like to go sooner than later, as I feel that this experience would be a life changing one. I hope that in the coming years, I am able to meet some of you on the Dark Continent! You have no Idea how lucky you all are!

[Linked Image]
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Welcome! Look forward to your trip as an adventure. Soak up all that Africa has to offer. The hunting safari is merely the topping on the ice cream. Savor it all!

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find a way to make your dream happen as soon as you can. Africa doesn't need to be prohibitively expensive. $10k can get you in the door, and make your dreams a reality. That's $200/mo for 4 years.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I could most likely go soon, but my primary interests are DG. Thats where the price seems to get crazy. I also want to do it in a more traditional way with a double rifle and in rough terrain were the animals are still wild. I am not so interested in trophy size as i am in the experience itself. The Double Rifle is the next step. I should be able to make that happen within two years!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have two double rifles, and there is a certain attraction to hunting elephant and buffalo with them. I might offer that the .375 H&H has a long and successful history with DG. For what a double costs these days, you could fund your safari by skipping them. I will say having used both a double and a scoped rifle for buff, having a scope to peer into the shadows can make your hunt easier.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have a 375 and if I have to sacrifice the double to go, then I will, but I would like to have it for the occasion. Besides, what better excuse to buy an expensive rifle than a safari? I could wreak havoc on the hogs here in Texas!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome and we will all be rooting for making your dream come true sooner rather than later. Don't be afraid to go with that bolt 375, it is a good choice.

Good luck and good hunting! Mark

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I may be chastised for this, but its a 375 Ruger. Last I heard, ammo was not available for this caliber in Africa.

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Welcome! I am also in my 30's and took my first DG safari at the age of 35 and will be on my second at 36. You think you are an addict now, just wait until you get a taste. The dreaming, planning, and waiting is part of the fun. Don't rush it...just enjoy. Buff with double next May for me!

Last edited by jprice; 10/04/10.

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Sounds Great! What part of NE Texas are you from?

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RUMlover
I have a 375 and if I have to sacrifice the double to go, then I will, but I would like to have it for the occasion. Besides, what better excuse to buy an expensive rifle than a safari? I could wreak havoc on the hogs here in Texas!

I really like your logic. May you will go far in this world! Nothing less than the .450 #2 for javelina, right?

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Actually, the Javelina really like the 500S&W from an 8.5 inch barrel!

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My plains game hunt with airfare is cheaper than my 2012 Elk hunt I have booked. Some really good deals available right now if your willing to go sooner.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a credit card with plenty of room and GO!...NOW!!!!!

laugh

A 375 Ruger will take anything and is absolutely perfect for you as an all-around round. cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
RUMlover,

Soon (I am not at liberty to release this information) I will be able to give you a very good tip on where to purchase inexpensive very fine double rifles.

If you are interested in DG then concentrate on Buffalo for your money. For your first safari you could get away with 10 - 15 grand all told but more realistically you are looking at 20 all in and this includes airfares, trophy exports, taxidermy etc.

Your best bet is to look at some of the late season deals where operators have to sell off their quota cheaply.

Once you start looking then do some research on the operator and get some up to date references.

Others will be able to advise you here.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I may be chastised for this, but its a 375 Ruger. Last I heard, ammo was not available for this caliber in Africa.

ammo, is available for it over here, but not as available as 375H&H.you would most probably bring along your own ammo anyway.

Boy it does sound as if the force is with you.

i know doubles are the ultimate for DG, but i am sure you would be surprised how few of them compared to bolt action hunting rifles are actually used here.

Last edited by LT_DAN; 10/04/10.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Finally something I want to put as a signature for my posts here at 24hourcampfire.com.
I cant wait for the day that I stand just a few yards from certain death and prove to myself that I have what it takes to take the actions necessary to prove to myself that I am what I believe I am. I am not fearless.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cant wait for the day that I stand just a few yards from certain death and prove to myself that I have what it takes to take the actions necessary to prove to myself that I am what I believe I am. I am not fearless.

Been there. Said "I do". Still full of fear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RWE

Been there. Said "I do". Still full of fear.

Damn thats funny!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I took 12 animals with my 375 Ruger in South Africa. Worked like a charm. No need to worry about being chastised.

"To study without a book is to sail an uncharted sea, While to study only from books is not to go to sea at all" Sir William Osler
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.