Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#4465925 10/01/10
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The brace of big Nevada blue grouse I lucked into while moving my sagehen hunting to another drainage. I went over a high central NV mountain range and checked out a choke cherry patch just below the 8,500' pass.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Now they're dinner...

[Linked Image]

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done, what ya shooting?

Andrew
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice pictures! love the side by side too. Now I am hungry after looking at that mess of birds in a dish.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks laugh

I was shooting a 16ga French Robust #4 with 25 1/2" tubes, IC & Mod with 1 1/8oz 5 shot. These are big and fully feathered birds. Body size is like a big pheasant.

There sure were good eating. They had choke cherry, currents, rose hips, and some young willow sprouts in their crops.

We are in the driest State in all 50, but those high elevations have some lush grouse habitat.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I assume the shotgun came with the sling swivels, because Europeans have always been more practical about putting slings on shotgun than Americans (or the British, who always seem to have a flunky or two to carry their shotguns). Is my assumption correct?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely correct. wink

My three SXS doubles all have the narrow European ones, as well as the drillings and cape gun.

I also use the slip on shotgun slings on my pumps and autos. Our bird hunting is more vertical than horizontal, so slings are a real help. Slings have never caused me to shoot any worse than I already do. whistle

It is nice to be able to use all-fours chuckar and blue grouse hunting. It confuses the hll out of my dogs sometimes, though. crazy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have used the slip-on slings as well. They work, but....

When I am expecting to have to tote the shotgun a ways, I either take one of my European side-by-sides with swivels, or one of my American shotguns that I've added swivel-studss to. Have had studs on my old 12-gauge 870 for almost as long as I've owned it, and I bought it in 1979.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
luv2safari

do yo know what she weights? Looks and sounds like a dandy!! Unlike the German, the French seemed to be more concerned with keeping the weight down... that said, I have a 16 gauge German Hubertus that tips the scales at a massive 5.5lbs so the Germans did build some lights ones... and yes it has sling eyes.

Congrats again! We have a decent diversity of wildlife in MO but decent size game birds are few in far between in the wild these days (except turkeys). MO once had a great population of grouse and pheasants but not so anymore.

Andrew
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

It is under 6 pounds and almost too diminutive for me. ...except after about the 4th hour of chugging up chuckar slopes. grin

It seems to grow heavier, the higher I climb. Dmn those French! How'd they do that? confused

It is a well used little double and not a cream-puff, but it is like-new tight still, and has not missed a lick...ever.

I remember as a kid hunting quail in MO and did well, but farms have changed, and cover is not the same anymore. We made a trip to MO and IL to visit relatives, and it was always in the Fall for some reason. grin wink

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice blues! They always seem to put a ponderosa or Doug Fir between them and me when I have a shotgun. I've got more with my Bearcat than a shotgun!

Great double also. Manufrance doubles are undervalued in the US (and that's a GOOD thing!). I also have a Robust 16. Mine has 27" barrels and is choked cylinder and fuller-than-full. A very plain gun with extractors and a semi-pistol grip stock. Has some neat Arabic script on the reciever which my son translated as "Police Property"! North African riot gun? Gotta be a story there....

I agree about the sling swivels and sling. Especially if you chase chukars. (European-size slings are available from www.kebco.com I'm about to order one for a Savage/Valmet double I'm slowly resurrecting from the dead....).

Last edited by Mike Armstrong; 10/05/10.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice work. I finally got a couple of Blues at about the same altitude here in Kalifornia. My gun is a Rem 870, in 28 gauge. IC choke and 3/4 an oz. of 7 1/2's.
Yes, Chukars are even worse than Blues to get. Light guns are really worth having assuming you can hit something with them.
Had a 7 1/4 lb. 12 ga. Sig O/U that I finally sold because I couldn't hit anything with it. But this little 28 doesn't seem to have that problem. Just why, I'm not sure. E

K
kla Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
The men want to know about the shotgun and my wife wants to know your recipe.

Mind sharing your recipe for those blues?

Thanks

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gave the vitals for the shotgun above already. wink

The recipe is an easy one and works with pheasant and chuckar, too.

I simply cut up the birds like a chicken and place them in a shallow roasting dish, pour Campbell's cream of mushroom soup over them, add white wine and sherry, Mushrooms, tarragon, a little Old Bay if you like it, dash of onion and garlic powder to your taste, pepper...No Salt, the soup has enough...and marinated artichoke hearts. Roast covered in medium oven for 45-60 minutes, depending on how big a mess you made and take the foil off the last ten minutes. Add sherry and/or white wine as you like for your taste and water or milk if it starts to get dry during cooking.

I sprinkle parsley over it before serving. Its great with a wild/brown rice pilaf side. I like a Pinot Noir with it, but it is also very good with a Riesling.

...or beer. laugh

Last edited by luv2safari; 10/13/10.

B
B
If you have tickets to an early-season game involving the Lakers in Los Angeles and wants to see Kobe kobe bryant jerseysBryant (white) in action, you better stay on their toes. Bryant
kobe bryant jerseys
limited playing time early in the season as he continues to recover from knee surgery, according to ESPN. Bryantkobe bryant jerseys is expected to jump preseason game Thursday night and play a bit in the preseason last Friday, reports the site.I hope it will not play many minutes to start games kobe bryant jerseysthis season, said Lakers coach Phil Jackson. So we have to find a pattern, so it has the most influence on the number of minutes you have.

=================

cheap nfl jerseys

kobe bryant jerseys

tom brady jerseys

terrell owens jerseys 3900

drew brees jerseys 6600

michael vick jerseys

brett favre jerseys

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,283
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.