-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like we are getting some changes in da weather patterns down here!

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't believe any of those old wives' tales about weather affecting hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Much cooler weather coming in with possible rain/snow.
Lord knows we need both. Better than the temps we've had lately.
Leaving Wed afternoon. Finally!

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Everything we saw in B zone was morning or last light, saw almost nothing during the day thanks to 85-90degrees temps at 7000ft. Tagged my buck at 4:00pm feeding in the shade.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why I was feeding in the shade, I have no idea...

Congrats.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by macrabbit

No wives tale there. It affects my attitude towards hunting which means I'm more likely to be in the field to see those critters moving.

Cooler weather rocks my hunting world!

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^"Cooler weather rocks my hunting world".
OHHH, roger that!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
May go out in the morning after work..

I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom.For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
[Linked Image]

Todays X12 buck (10-10-10)

It was a large body buck but next to my 6'4" 270 body it looks smaller. Hunting alone I had just finished a 3/4 mile drag thru sage brush; I was gutting it when some came along and snapped a picture for me. Of course the sun was in the wrong position so I turned it showing the half way gut job they interrupted.

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by old_willys
Todays X12 buck (10-10-10)

Too bad you weren't in X10 grin

A 10-pointer, mayhap?

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Nice buck. I did not see much this past weekend,just a dink spike an 5 does.

I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom.For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Going out tomorrow morning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went out and saw two bucks.

One had his butt sticking out of a brush about 50 yards away. I did not shoot because then I would have to track him and shoot him again. Plus it would not be fair to him.

The other was about 200 yards down a slope. He was facing away with his back to me. I tried cutting down at an angle to get a broadside but an ATV went above me and the buck took off. Too thick to chase him down.

But a good day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I spent 3 days in D-7 at 8500 feet. We only saw eight does and no bucks. We saw more bear tracks than we saw deer tracks. Down lower we killed the biggest rattlesnake I have ever run across: sixty inches long, thick as my forearm, with eleven buttons on the rattle with more broken off. We decided he was our trophy and took the skin home for the wall.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

It's not an old wives tale...They still migrate out of the high country when the snow pushes them...Not that many deer nowadays in many of the D-zones, BUT there was a time, not too many years ago that you could go from seeing 0- to maybe a half dozen a day before a storm to seeing 50-100 if the right kind of weather system moved in...The area I generally still hunt in D-4 has migration trails you can still follow even though the herd is not a fraction of what it once was & hasn't been for about fifteen or twenty years now...first came a kill off due to Black or Blue Tongue disease along with an explosion in the mountain lion population...now I'll feel lucky if I see a dozen deer this year...didn't even see a doe last year while hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I guess I'd better toss in a belated smiley. It's just that I'm not accustomed to being taken seriously...

grin grin

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Me either....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Winnie, seeing is half the fun. (OK, one quarter grin)

Tip o' the day: Carry a small predator call handy around your neck.

I tuck mine between buttons into my shirt so that it doesn't bounce around and clack against my binocs. But it flips right out and is ready in an instant.
I don't go afield without one.

The one below is great for this use. It's small (<2.5"), so can go unnoticed all day, and the foam lip seal is very comfortable.
[Linked Image]

Its value for calling predators, perhaps during off hours while hunting other game, is obvious.
Even more important to me during big game season- a blast on a call can halt a moving buck. I've taken a half dozen deer with this trick.
I've not bothered to try to stop a buck that is running scared from me, but it works like a snake charmer's flute on unaware animals, even those that are otherwise concentrating on following their deerly beloveds.

I hate shots at walking targets. Just last year I boofed such a shot at an antelope: I was prone over my daypack, swiveling to track him. Just as the last ounce of trigger pressure came through, the friction between pack and stock changed and my rifle squirted forward, sending the shot in front of the buck's chest.

Nearly any sound can work, of course. But I can't whistle (Yeah, I heard her, too: "You just put your lips together and... blow.") And any human-made sound that can reach out to 300 yards with power requires movement and effort. I can be snuggled up to my rifle, aimed and ready, and give a loud blast on a hands-free call like the above without [much] disturbing my position. Buck stops to look, KABOOM.

To speak to your hunt: Either of those bucks might have turned to a squeal from a call, perhaps enough to allow a sure killing shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good tip Macrabbit.

Next week I go I will carry one of those.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I went up into LaPorte Ca., D-3 and saw a bunch of bear tracks, no bucks/does. frown

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 3,130 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,254
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.