Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
My friend and I are planning to do an unguided hunt in Alaska in 2002 and need some advice. We're wanting to do a combo hunt for Caribou and Moose. What we were wondering is can you do this type of hunt on a float trip. I found an outfitter that will take us up river and drop us off with a with a boat and let us float down stream stopping to camp and hunt on our way out. Is this a good way to do this type of hunt? Would it be better to fly in? Is a float hunt a good way to bag a Caribou or Moose? Since this will be our first time hunting Alaska it's ok if we only go after one animal if we have a better chance at success. Do we stand a better chance of scoring on a Moose or Caribou on a float trip? Since Moose are sooooooo big would we be better off trying for Caribou on our first trip? Would bears be a problem on a float trip? My friend just bought a Browning BAR in 338 mag for the trip next year. Should he take any extra precautions with the auto loader? Thanks for the help. Greg

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Greg,<P>I have been interested in the float trip for awhile too, haven't done it yet. I did read Dennis Confer's book "Hunt Alaska Now", and it is basically a how-to for do it yourself float hunting for moose and caribou. If you've never done it before, it would be a must read. Also high on the list is "Hunting in Alaska : A Comprehensive Guide" by Christopher M. Batin. You'll also want the Alaska Atlas and Gazetteer from Delorme Pubishing. Finally, there is the Alaska Departement of Fish and Game website, where you can download reg's, get info, and even buy a license at <A HREF="http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages/FISH.GAME/adfghome.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages/FISH.GAME/adfghome.htm</A> <P>Depending on which area you choose, you can concentrate on one species (either/or), or try for both. Trying to do everything is, of course, a compromise, but there is alot to be said for keeping your options open too. Also, putting two moose and two caribou in even a large boat is a boatload! Doing it from and inflateable raft would be shear folly.<P>Anyway, get the books, and then decide. You will know enough to do so after you've read them.<P>Good luck!<BR>John

"If a little's good, a lot's better, and way too much is just right!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first thing that would be helpful is knowing how much experience you have with float trips and handling an animal as large as a moose. These are very fun trips for the people prepared for them, but not always the best introduction to Alaska hunting. Also, if you have never had to cut up and pack out an animal as large as a moose, it can be an unforgetable experience if not prepared. <P>I always recomend to my friends, for their first unguided Alaska hunt, to go after caribou. Save the moose for the next year, because you will be back. You will have also learned if your tent or clothes make the grade without as much risk to life or limb.<P>Some of the most enjoyable hunts I have had were after caribou. You do not have to be in great shape or be able to pack 150lbs on your back to have a great hunt. Get put into the right lake and you will have some great fishing after you have put two nice caribou into camp.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Two words.... Waterproof bags. Put everything in a waterproof bag then put that in another bag... you get the picture. Float trips are great, just remember to stop now and then and look over the bank! [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] <P>What river would you be going on?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I agree with Kodiak Island on almost all points there. Would add that when float trips go bad they go very bad and the next guy to drown on a float hunt, because he had zero experience in a raft on moving water, will not be the first.<P>Alaska's (or any other) rivers are not to be taken lightly. The horror stories I have heard about float trips range from laughable to deadly. When the weather is nice, enough time is set aside, a good drift is selected, the critters happen to be there, and there are enough experienced, pleasant folks in the boat, it is a great way to go. No way I would advise it for a first hunt in AK, either.<BR>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Though I haven't hunted Alaska (yet), I have done lots of drifting of rivers here in Oregon and I can tell you that floating a river you are unfamiliar with is sheer folly. If you are planning on also packing a couple of animals into your boat, on top of your clothes, food, tents, ammo & guns, etc.. for any length of drift time, you are complicating matters greatly.<BR>Some of the things you can run into, even on relatively gentle rivers- downed trees in the stream, usually at the worst possible place, waterfalls or fast rapids not shown on any map, lack of good places to beach when it becomes necessary, no way to contact help if necessary, need I go on?<BR>If you don't have experience rowing a large raft on fast moving water, this will only complicate matters. <BR>Best to go with someone with some experience on the rivers you are planning on drifting the first time, then make up your mind if you are willing to commit the time and resources to do it again by yourselves. <P>I've seen lots of guys on the rivers down here, which are fairly dangerous but somewhat predictable get into some extremely dangerous situations even with help close by. At least 2 incidents resulted in drownings, the other few always resulted in lost gear going downriver- never to be recovered. <P>I agree with the above that this is definitely not the way to introduce yourself to a new area. If you are an experienced rower, you would probably know this already- if you're not, this isn't a trip to learn to row a boat on.- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Thanks for all the help. I am an experienced white water rafter here in WV on the New and Gauley rivers so the boat won't be a problem. Not knowing about the area and where to beach to camp and hunt would be a problem. I think we're going to pass on the float trip. We're going to do a fly in hunt for Caribou and save the moose for next time. This way our outfitter can fly us to where the Caribou are instead of us having to hunt the river banks for them and maybe not seeing any at all. Thanks again for the advice guys. Greg

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,865
Posts18,517,909
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.