Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Warm boots and wool socks.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.benchmade.com/products/5

Haven't found anything quicker for opening a hide and dumping the innards....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best hunting accessory I've ever bought is the TreeSaddle.

Works astonishingly well and revolutionized my hunting practices.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
One that has worked well is the REALTREE EZHanger bow/gun hanger that screws into a tree. Been using them for years. Don't by the POS Chinese made ones though.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Clean chain saw with l2" bar, filled with vegetable oil. Used for converting moose into quarters. Takes only a fraction of the time compared to the old handsaw methods and a lot less wearing on the body. Also very helpful for removing antlers. Not for the squeamish!

Jim

I've used a chainsaw to remove antlers from a road kill buck or two while I was working...You're right, it's not for the squeamish.

Neither is the Sawzall method in the garage. Especially when you miss some of the brain on the floor and the dog gets a hold of it. wink

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The one thing at the very top of my list would be my Danner Pronghorn gore-tex boots. Light, warm, waterproof and comfy as can be in ANY conditions. That and merino wool socks.

Rayovac headlight.

Leica CRF 900. (total conifidence builder instead of guessing)

Stony Point mono-pod.

Synthectic underwear, polypropelene, fleece, gore-tex outwear.

Spotting scope. (it saves alot of walking)

Garmin GPS with mapping capabilities. Only on rare occasions do I really make use of it. When I have needed it though, it's been extremely valuable.

New to me this year is a sling I had to buy when I realized I had left my favorite strechy neoprene sling on the fireplace mantle at home. I bought a cheap nylon web quick adjust sling to make due with. Turns out it was awesome as a deer dragger. I took it apart to fasten it around the head/antlers of the buck I shot and it worked perfect for dragging him off the hill I was on. For a couple of hours that sling was my best friend.

Juice boxes and fun size Snickers. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a very simple small flashlight that has a magneto and lever...no batteries. I've had it for 20 years now, and it has gotten me off some hellatious mountains after dark, as well as used for fixing a truck distributor in the dark one night way back in. It was the only light that worked, as the batteries were dead in the other two flashlights we had.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
A Gunbrella. Works great for long rainy days in a tree stand.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Jim..,

Fleece balaclava has kept me in the field longer than any other clothing item.

Someone mentioned a drag rope with a web strap that goes over your head and a shoulder. A rig like that nearly dragged me into a pond once. Never put one of those things over your head!

A very sharp old hand ax is better than a good knife. I use mine to gut and chop the breast and pelvic bones. The wooden handle allows you to reach up inside the chest cavity to remove the lungs and cut off the wind pipe far easier than a knife.

Thermacells work good, not only for hunting but camping as well.

O

Too old to suffer fools
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My Vero Vellini double rifle sling. Keeps both hands free and you can use it almost as fast as the slings utilized by the biathlon shooters.

Bushnell Backtracker. Easy to use and accurate. I get lost EASY!

Diamond Machine and Tool knife sharpeners. Diamond imbedded.

9.5x42 Minox Eyeglass. When you can discern the color of sparrows against elm tree bark @100yds on a dull cloudy day in the far north where I live thats pretty darn good as far as I'm concerned.

I bought them at the recommendation of Gr8ful Doug at Camerland. Great glass and I couldn't be happier.

LaCrosse 800gr Alpha Burly boots. Lite weight,and I have never had cold feet even at -20 below. Roll the down and they are like bedroom slippers at camp.

Best wishes, Bill

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
gps

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Grundins Fleece.
Browning Night Seeker Cap Light.

Last edited by Flyfast; 10/08/10.

Murphy was an optimist.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jim in Idaho,

A compass

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Swarovski Binocs
Garmin GPS
Silva Compass
Puma Damascuas Knife
Gamehide Hush Hide Blaze Orange Breakup Pattern Vest (have using it for over ten years and it's still just like new....

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
1. Geovids, once I KNEW the range, I had to learn how to hit at said range. No one rifle, scope, bullet, powder, gun rest, target, brass, primer, or any other shooting tool/component has contributed more towards me shooting more and learning to shoot better than have my Geovids.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Jim,

I still have one, and it was a bargain. I got mine 10-12 years ago, and it is still like new. We residents here in NV don't draw many tags anymore. smirk

You got a "Jim" 10-12 years ago? grin

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hand warmers
Headlamp
AM radio in case I miss kick-off

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An add-on shooting rail for my portable tree stand. I hunt out of an old Loc-On archery stand, and bought this shooting rail to use with it. You strap it on the tree above the stand. The rail folds up out of the way for getting in and out of the tree stand, there's a lumbar support pad on the back, the rail it's self is padded, and the whole thing straps together to my stand for packing into the woods.
Does several things for me.
I'm terrified of heights, so this makes me feel much more comfortable being inside of it on the stand.
It gives you some relaxation for your shoulders, as without the rail, you have no good way to get the weight off your upper body during those long days on stand.
It gives you a good, stable shooting rest.

It quickly converts any archery stand, or any cheap ladder stand to a much more versatile hunting platform.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My Therm-A-Rest cushion is #1 on my "Glad I bought It" list. It makes every tree a potential ground blind. Squeeze the air out, and it'll fit in my azz pocket.

#2 is the Steiner compact binoculars my sister gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago. I'd never used any binoculars but whatever was the cheapest at Wal-Mart. Never again!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
The Z-Blade.

Scary sharp, weighs almost nothing and lasts just long enough to gut, skin and bone an entire deer.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (270wsmnutt, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 257Bob, 57 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,363
Posts18,527,244
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.