Print Thread
Hop To
H
hayman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I was the one holding the right ticket and ended up with a very beautiful rifle lastnight. It's a mod 70 30gov06 presentation grade. The owner said it was made in 48. The optics are Weaver(presentation grade). Very nice looking engraving on the scope.
This rifle doesn't look like it's even been fired. Won't ever part with it, just wonder what these rifles are valued. Any ideas?
The real cool part of this story was about the men whom I was with when I won the rifle. A gunny sargent named Popaditch. The next congressman from Ca. 51st dist. smile Duncan Hunter was up there too. A good night. Nick Popaditch has become a friend through this campaign season. He was the tank commander on scene when they pulled the statues of Saddam down in Furdus(sp?) square. Nick Popaditch is going to be one of the finest Congressmen we will have on the Hill. He wrote a book, "Once a Marine" Look it up..
Thanks for the help with the rifle.
Eddie

Good Day
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Without pitures there is no way of giving even a rough value. Winchester never made a "presentation grade" at least no in 1948, is it a super grade perhaps? Really we need pictures.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by reelman
Without pitures there is no way of giving even a rough value. Winchester never made a "presentation grade" at least no in 1948, is it a super grade perhaps? Really we need pictures.

Reelman.

Winchester made special, NON CATALOGUED high grade "presentation rifles" built in it's custom shop throughout it's history.

Many of them were Winchester m70s of all vintages. They were ordered by individuals as gifts to others or for their own collections, and also ordered by the factory management for gifts to dignitaries and as prizes for matches and other special events. Many were made to commemorate production milestones etc.

Were they cataloged items? No, Were they common? no again , but they DO exist. I even bet a few high grade m70s were built in 1948 wink .

As to the engraved Weaver scope, that is less likely due to the thin .drawn steel tubes on Weaver scopes. They really were not thick enough to be hand chiselled. The only "engraved" Weaver scopes I have ever seen are the shallow acid etched "engraved" Weaver 50th Anniversary scopes made in 1983.

In any case, such gun /scope combos are rare and I am sure we would all like to see pics of the OP's prize!

Last edited by jim62; 10/08/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Most Excellent hayman!!! I'm sure you will make some fantastic memories with it.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any chance Winchester, supplied with the s/n, can tell you who that rifle was originally made for? Or do they keep those records?

Who it was made for could have significant affect on its value.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really no printed records exist for model 70's...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

H
hayman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thank you guy's for the responses. I will get right on the photos. Been very busy with the politic thing but will get some photos in the next couple days.
Fist off, the Presentation Grade? Well, I should have looked a little better. Or ..looked. They said presentation grade at the event and I never looked. It's a super grAde spelled like that too with the A capitalized. And the scope is in fact the Weaver 50th anniversary. Has the etching and the nice looking brass on the inside front and back. Looks very nice.
The gun also has sling swivels. The owner told me today they would be hard to find if they weren't already on the gun. I wouldn't know anything about that.
The owner told me he bought the gun at a pawnshop in 1980 and was building it for his Dad when he passed away recently. He is a loyal conservative and decided he wanted to help out this Marine named Popaditch so he gave his Rifle and asked them to see if they could use it to help the campaign. It did, to the tune of 10k. I t was a big event and there were many hunters in the crowd.
Last question: How do I attatch photos to my posts?

Good Day

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 51 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,223
Posts18,524,618
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.