-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some guys filled their safes with A5 Brownings and 1100 Rems ($400). Some filled rooms with Rem Nylon .22's ($65) and clunky Sav 99's ($250). What's your best guess there?

GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Loony's all! I guess there are shotgun loonys too (but I just don't understand THEIR sickness).

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Wrong post

Last edited by AussieGunWriter; 10/08/10.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know a surefire way to make a small fortune in gun writing.

Start with a large fortune.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Blackhawk43
An old cattle trader friend of mine told me many years ago,if you can make a living doing something you enjoy it is better than being rich.

My outdoor writing career was very short -- one article published in the 1984 Gun Digest. If I recall, I got around $300 for the article and my wife spent $400 buying copies of the GD for all her relatives.

I do a little better as a book dealer, but think Blackhawk summed up my philosophy. I get paid a pittance for having fun all day every day, and would not trade places with anyone.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Clay Harvey doesn't qualify as a gun trader, because from what I understand all he ever did was borrow guns and then sell them. He didn't trade or buy. The profit margin is a LOT bigger that way....

I wonder how he has survived doing stuff like that without somebody shooting him?

You have to find him first!

Lemme guess he has gypsy and jackrabbit in his blood?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yet there is another way. Start working for a governmental agency at an early age. By the time you are 60 years old or so, you will have a lifetime pension that after 30-40 years of working will equal your salary. Add your Social Security and you now take in more than you did when working. You get the same health care plan cheap until Medicare kicks in and then the supplement is cheaper too.
I wish it still worked that way... Retirement benefits are much different now.

Now, if I could just get my wife and kids to "let" me get in enough time in the field to have something worthy to write about... wink

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
It All Depends On How You Keep Score. Some of them have been comfortable with $$, but most have been rich in rifles.. Like JB says you have to keep converting "flat rifles" into other goods & services.
MC

marty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's always been my theory, anyway. Flat, green rifles with pictures of dead people on 'em aren't nearly as much fun as 3-dimensional rifles!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BlacktailBooks
Originally Posted by Blackhawk43
An old cattle trader friend of mine told me many years ago,if you can make a living doing something you enjoy it is better than being rich.

My outdoor writing career was very short -- one article published in the 1984 Gun Digest. If I recall, I got around $300 for the article and my wife spent $400 buying copies of the GD for all her relatives.

I do a little better as a book dealer, but think Blackhawk summed up my philosophy. I get paid a pittance for having fun all day every day, and would not trade places with anyone.

You lost about $100; most of us loose more than that on each gun we trade, sell or buy! Count yourself fortunate.... and gifted!

Last edited by djs; 10/13/10.
IC B3

D
D
My first article sale in 1990 cost me $1400 to produce, and I sold it for a whopping $250. I was willing to take the loss back then on that one to get a foot in the door & considered it an investment in my future.

Today, the IRS would not understand if that were continuing on a regular basis & my wife would long ago have left me. smile

And, both companies I currently sell to have scaled back on their pay rates because of the economy. This is not a highly lucrative job for most of us.

No huge rifle accumulation at my house, I have to pay for one if I keep it, and if I do that it'll typically blow the profit from two articles, if not more.
On occasion I'll buy one, either for personal use or to recycle in another article down the road, but it's not at all cost effective to tie up money in large numbers of more or less standard guns (classics & customs are another matter) that just sit in the vault, and I don't have the time or inclination to be selling a bundle & generally losing money on 'em in the process.

Denis

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1234, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,528
Posts18,491,150
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.