Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Subject says it all. Which is best.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like to resize with a body die then tumble so I don't have a lot of stuff in my primer pocket and flash hole...I then brush my necks and neck size the brass...Cleans off lube that way...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do both because I like clean brass before I run it through my die. After is just to put the shine back on. Only takes 30 minutes or so after sizing.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like to tumble after resizing. Brass is clean enough to start with that I don't have to worry about messing up the die and tumbling later gets rid of the case lube easily. A quick blast with the air hose clears any tumbler media from the flash hole.

Just my preference, can't see any compelling reason to do it one way or the other so long as the brass is reasonably clean to start with.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I do it infrequently, but when I do its after resizing. If my brass is dirty before sizing I will just wash it with some water and detergent and then dry in the oven at 250 degrees.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm with nighthawk except I use a small nail to poke any media out of the flashhole.

Dale

This space for rent

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
After to clean off the junk.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Both. Before resizing because clean brass=long die life. After resizing to clean off the lube. Just make sure you clean out the primer pockets and flash holes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I tumble after resizing. FWIW, I've never tumbled before resizing, each case gets a once over eyeball and a wipe with a soft cloth, but in 50 years, I've yet to wear out a die.

Aim for the exit hole.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both. I don't want to screw up my dies, and I like the shine after it's sized.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before. I don't wanna run the risk of any media near the flash hole.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it's before it's plain untreated walnut.

After every time with treated corn cob to get off all of the sizing wax.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MattMan
If it's before it's plain untreated walnut.

After every time with treated corn cob to get off all of the sizing wax.

Ditto..

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Before, along with a bronze bore brush in the neck. Used to punch the primers before tumbling but getting media out of the flash holes is too much hassle. Now I punch when I size and then brush the pocket. After sizing I just wipe the case. One Shot doesn't take much cleaning.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I punch the primers out using a RCBS depriming die. Then I tumble using stainless media and dish soap to get nice and clean. Dry, then resize, usually with a lee neck collet die which requires no lube. If I need to bump the shoulder or FL resize I will tumble again in plain crushed walnut to remove lube before reloading.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I take the fired brass, brush the inside of the necks then tumble, then I resize, chamfer the case mouth, clean and/or uniform the primer pockets, then tumble again to remove resizing lube and brass shavings, when they're done tumbling, I pop the media out of the flashole w/a paper clip end bent at a 90. I don't know if it's bad or not, but I personally don't like the idea of brass shavings being blasted down my bore, so I try to keep that to a minimum.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deprime then tumble the sh!^ out of them. Resize and a quick tumble again to remove any lube.

RH

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've done it before, after, both, and neither.

Frankly, I hardly ever tumble any more. My cases go from a ziplock bag to the gun and right back in the bag. Not much chance to pick up grit. I also see little value in shiny brass - except maybe to distract attention from lousy shooting, LOL!

If I do tumble, it's after sizing. I check every flashhole and poke out any trapped media with a stiff wire I mounted in a dowel peg.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A really shiny finish can impress your less knowledgeable acquaintances, tends to make them believe whatever you tell them. grin Plastic tipped mollied bullets in bright nickle cases even more so!

Seriously, doesn't work any better but tumbled brass just pleases me and it's a little easier to find in the grass.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,746 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,900
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.