Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I still enjoy reloading, and shooting, it's just that range, or target shooting now dominates my time with the rifles. I can be(and am) happy to plink away with a small centerfire, and array of handguns.

teal offered a suggestion that I am truly looking forward to - Ritz Crackers. An interactive target, that would provide a challenge at say 300 yards. That sounds fun!

The last white tail I had in my scope was a reasonable buck(8, maybe 10 pointer) that was munching on the edge of a picked corn field. I was seated, .358 Win steady rested in my hands. I watched as he'd nibble, lift his head to scan the area, and work that nose (which I was downwind of). This scene played out for the better part of an hour, 'til daylight gave way, and I could no longer make him out through the scope. I don't know why I didn't kill him, he was about 150 away - a chip shot. I also didn't know at the time, it would be the last time I'd raise a rifle to a deer. That was 'bout four years ago, and at this point I don't see it changing.

Odd how it's playing out.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I consistently get the best naps of my life in tree stands.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mako25
I still love the outdoors - but I think I'd enjoy a camera(?) - where did that come from?

I don't even own one!

I own four, bought them for my graphics business which I have sold now, really good ones too. I'll bring you one when I am passing through Texas in November if you are so inclined smile

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mako25,

Maybe before you were truly loving what you were "doing" and it was feeding your passion and your soul, and maybe now, your loving what your "seeing", and that is what is feeding your passion and your soul. Needs, desires, passions, people, they all change as the years pass. For some, faster and permanent, others, slower and never really coming to full stop before we pass.

Lynn

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mako25
I still enjoy reloading, and shooting, it's just that range, or target shooting now dominates my time with the rifles. I can be(and am) happy to plink away with a small centerfire, and array of handguns......................

teal offered a suggestion that I am truly looking forward to - Ritz Crackers. An interactive target, that would provide a challenge at say 300 yards. That sounds fun!

Odd how it's playing out.

I'm pretty much at this point also. Today is the opening of our archery season, even three years ago I wouldn't dream of not being in the woods right this minute. Now.....

I still enjoy shooting and thinking about hunting even hunting, but to actually kill something doesn't much matter. The last couple of deer I killed didn't get me too excited. Last year on opening morning I had a nice little buck in the crosshairs, the hammer on the old Marlin 35 rem cocked but I never did squeeze the trigger. I was happy to just be there and enjoy the moment.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I tend towards more 'declination' than 'inclination' these days myself.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Memories are hunting horns whose sound dies on the wind."
~ Guillaume Apollinaire

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I often enjoy just getting out more than bagging anything these days. We started a family and friends reunion/antelope hunt in Wyoming 6 years ago. I think most of us look forward to the being there more than the hunt itself. My uncle is in his early 70's and still has the desire- which is nice to see.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You need to address issues according to priority.

1. Get them a friggin camera. I can't imagine not having a good picture of her with her first buck, especially since it was bigger than her. I'm not talking about deer hanging in the shop or back of truck pic.

People that take crap pics or no pics really chap my ass.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
On the other subject, I think lots of folks pigeonhole themselves into hunting a certain way and don't change from it much. If I had to sit in a stand to hunt for the entirety of my life I'd likely have quite by now.

Of course I've never lived in one place for more than 4 consecutive years my entire adult life so every few years its a brand new start someplace new.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Whaah!

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Mako,

I, like you have gotten to the point where I just enjoy being out in the outdoors, not to hunt but to relax. I think you would really enjoy the photography aspect of "hunting" as it can be just as much of a challenge. I have two Nikon cameras, an SLR and DSLR as well as a few lenses. It's not necessary to go overboard on accessories unless that sort of thing winds your clock. Granted, it's not much for sausage but it is nice to look through my collection when I want. Just my $.02.

Jim

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think most of us go through several stages of maturity in our hunting lives. As youngsters it is the kill thing, a tag not filled is a big failure. then we start to refine, some go trophy some go technical as in BP of handgun hunting. As our hair turns to salt and pepper many of us find much more pleasure in seeing the younger generations learn the craft and find our satisfaction in filling their tags first. Then as the pepper parts of our hair either fade to white of just fall out we find most of the satisfaction in being outdoors with friends and or family.

I no longer have the need to fill every tag. I have not taken a big game animal in several years, preferring to watch others fill their tags. My hands have been bloodied showing others how to dress animals. I still get a whole lot of satisfaction just being out in the woods and carrying a gun.

I would not worry about your lack of desire to harvest every year. You are all right, you just have grown up.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Wow - you guys are really sounding depressing.

I am sitting here thinking why is the fire dying out on these people? (I'm 50, mid-life, and it's still burning)

A few thoughts come to mind.

Lack of camaraderie? Has hunting become too much of a solo sport? Camaraderie is what keeps you coming back here. Fun, right?

Do you feel that you're not learning anything new? Learning keeps things fresh. Think outside the box. Hell, hunting moles in the yard can be fun if you figure out a novel, successful way of accomplishing it.

Out of shape? That can be one of the quickest ways of loosing interest. You do not have to be Hercules, but being in decent shape can keep all options open.

Hope you guys get out of your funk. Hunting season is upon us. Good Luck and God speed you to a quick resolution!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (204guy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,766
Posts18,515,376
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.