-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thinking about a D9 run early Saturday, Going to take my son again and see if we can get him deer number 2!

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
GB1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Heading out to spicer meadow reservoir this morning,going to try and fill a d5&or d6 tag.be back sat night,camping at the river coming out of spicers.

I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom.For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by macrabbit
Winnie, seeing is half the fun. (OK, one quarter grin)

Tip o' the day: Carry a small predator call handy around your neck.

I tuck mine between buttons into my shirt so that it doesn't bounce around and clack against my binocs. But it flips right out and is ready in an instant.
I don't go afield without one.

The one below is great for this use. It's small (<2.5"), so can go unnoticed all day, and the foam lip seal is very comfortable.
[Linked Image]

Its value for calling predators, perhaps during off hours while hunting other game, is obvious.
Even more important to me during big game season- a blast on a call can halt a moving buck. I've taken a half dozen deer with this trick.
I've not bothered to try to stop a buck that is running scared from me, but it works like a snake charmer's flute on unaware animals, even those that are otherwise concentrating on following their deerly beloveds.

I hate shots at walking targets. Just last year I boofed such a shot at an antelope: I was prone over my daypack, swiveling to track him. Just as the last ounce of trigger pressure came through, the friction between pack and stock changed and my rifle squirted forward, sending the shot in front of the buck's chest.

Nearly any sound can work, of course. But I can't whistle (Yeah, I heard her, too: "You just put your lips together and... blow.") And any human-made sound that can reach out to 300 yards with power requires movement and effort. I can be snuggled up to my rifle, aimed and ready, and give a loud blast on a hands-free call like the above without [much] disturbing my position. Buck stops to look, KABOOM.

To speak to your hunt: Either of those bucks might have turned to a squeal from a call, perhaps enough to allow a sure killing shot.

Crow call for me. We are often kind of spread out on the ridges and the crow call fits in just fine with all the other noise for getting each others attention. I no longer carry predator tags since I dont carry a bear tag and they tend to show up unhappy when no dying something is found.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by varmintsinc

Crow call for me. We are often kind of spread out on the ridges and the crow call fits in just fine with all the other noise for getting each others attention. I no longer carry predator tags since I dont carry a bear tag and they tend to show up unhappy when no dying something is found.

Bears come to crow calls too.

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crow works.
Half the battle is remembering, in the excitement of the moment, to use the call at all.

I have a bear tag in my pocket whenever I can. When bear's my main quarry, I usually try to call them in.
I don't bother with bobcat tags, since I rarely see one except on a certain property that forbids nailing one.
I get a cougar tag whenever I go to Oregon, and I'm taking one to Nevada this autumn.
The biggie, of course, is that old mange mongrel: the coyote. No tag needed, living almost everywhere, ...
So a predator call, instead of some other noisemaker, is always my choice.

Let the bear be unhappy! It builds character. smile
I posted this on an old thread:
Okay, maybe I don't need too many more pointers to get by-
I went up into the hills today to verify some zeros before the trip, stopped at a favorite spot to call up a coyote. I squallered for something less than a minute, and then within thirty seconds I had a cougar at twenty feet. And the only reason it stopped there was because I waved my hands and spoke to it.
I'd thought at first that it was one of the occasional bobcats that come in, but got myself corrected quickly. It came in at a steady walk, not particularly intent. It didn't seem to really see me until my movements. I was in blue jeans and green shirt, sitting against an oak trunk in a sea of dried wild oats.
So it stopped and just stood there looking at me while I made conversation (and unlimbered my .45, just in case). But then its ears went flat and it sank down two inches! At that I stood up and said some nasty things to it. It still just stood there, twenty dang feet away. I wasn't quite comfortable with the situation, so I dumped a .45 a few feet behind it. Not much reaction, but it began to amble away at an angle. I sent another round under its tail to reinforce my position, and at that it left at a slow trot. I followed it, at a sane distance, and made sure that it was gone for good.
Kinda ruined my coyote setup, though.
I'm no expert, but I'm thinking that it wasn't a full-grown specimen. And it sure wasn't roly-poly fat. I guess it, too, has noticed that our deer population isn't what it once was.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Originally Posted by varmintsinc

Bears come to crow calls too.

MtnHtr

And deer will come in to predator calls...I've never tried it during season, but while calling in the same area after season for bobcats, I've called in bunches of deer. Some come in really pissed, stomping their hooves & blowing like hell...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've called in scads of muley does in Wyoming (it's a lot of fun with doe tag in pocket). I've had very little luck on our blacktails, and I've called near, and even at, them a lot.
Another reason my buck-stopping sounder is a predator call.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Most of the time I use a coyote call all I get is a mad doe. Only once did I actually get a yote to come in. Some day I will figure it out and maybee figure a way to get the bucks to come in as well.

I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom.For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So what's wrong with a mad doe? Alice enjoyed a mad hatter; a doe can't be any worse. grin

If I'm not mistaken, prey noises bring in bucks only by bringing in protective does that happen to have a following buck (in the rut).
Though last year I brought a young blacktail forky from 130 yards away to 30 (just right for a .45) by lightly and sparingly 'moaning' through my call. He thought he was gonna get lucky.

Don't fret overmuch about your lack of coyotes. If you sound like something, anything, in the throes of being torn apart, your calling is A-OK; the non-response is caused by something else.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,506
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.