Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Esox357 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking at going to Kansas this year for pheasant and quail hunting. Mostly I will be looking at using public land. Not familiar with Kansas and wondered which part of the state if any was better for pheasant and quail hunting? Esox357.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
we are going to north of the Okla panhandle. The guy taking us said he couldn't count the phes must have been 1000 birds if 1 at one of the pivots!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There ARE plenty of pheasants in the Southwest corner of KS near Oklahoma. But be ready for LONG shots on WILD birds except on opening day. The local guy I was hunting with kept yelling "KANSAS lead, Mike!!!!" when I shot 20 feat behind a rooster! Can be very windy, too. Real hunting, in short. We hunted south of Liberal right next to the OK line.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike Armstrong
But be ready for LONG shots on WILD birds...

Be vewy, vewy, quiet. wink

Pointing dog, no yelling, no bells, and injun up on them. It never gets old.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Just the wind can make them flush wild.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

Esox357 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Just the wind can make them flush wild.

Then, Grasshopper, you must be more silent than the wind... wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Being more quiet than a western Kansas wind is not hard to do, but they'll still be jumpy.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Esox357
I'm looking at going to Kansas this year for pheasant and quail hunting. Mostly I will be looking at using public land. Not familiar with Kansas and wondered which part of the state was better for pheasant and quail hunting? Esox357.

Public access is on the following map.
Kansas Walk In Hunting Areas If I were you I'd read the bird report and then go to the map and draw a line from section 4 to section 27 and stay west of that. The bird report will be more specific of what is hot and not. As the season starts there will be reports of who is seeing birds where.

Upland bird report is here:

Kansas Upland Bird Forecast

I love it. smile

[Linked Image]

Sunday Limit
[Linked Image]

Saturday Limit
[Linked Image]

Late Season Success
[Linked Image]

Sister's Place
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The only thing I can add to the good advice above would be to temper your quail expectations. I suggest you take a "pheasants and incidental quail" mindset rather than a "quail and incidental pheasants" mindset.

If quail are important, I'd stick as close to the middle of the state as possible and hunt where the grass isn't quite as think and where there's some shrubby type cover. If you're willing to put a higher priority on pheasants, then I would think strongly about the area from Hays to the west, north of I-70. There's plenty of WIHA up there and there have been lots of birds in the past couple of ears with a similar forecast for this year.

Bring a good dog or three, a good friend or three, and a comfortable pair of boots, preferrably with tread that won't pick up a lot of mud.

IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheesy
[Linked Image]

That's a killer pic, Cheesy. A GSP working a crossing wind is a dangerous and beautiful thing.

Robert Frost
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They are already starting to bunch up in western KS.

More birds this year than we've seen for years..

SWEET

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm out of town next week for work so I had to pass on hunting this weekend. My brother just called me from the farm - two of his GSP's just got mugged by a skunk about 100-ft. from the campfire. It should be a fun night. wink

Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by Cheesy
[Linked Image]

That's a killer pic, Cheesy. A GSP working a crossing wind is a dangerous and beautiful thing.

Thanks, I was the cameraman on that one with a disposable camera, dog is my brother in laws though. He might just be a $30 backyard bred unregistered dog, but he is deadly on wild pheasants, and even better around my 3 and 5 year old niece and nephew. That picture he was actually pointing a covey of quail which surprised the heck out of me when I went in for the flush.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lots of bobwhites some years in W. Kansas. They tend to be easy to find because they stay near trees and brush and that only occurs in a very few places. So they get thinned out pretty fast once the bird season begins (some of the survivors are protected by staying VERY close to somebody's house. Don't even try to hunt those....Kansas country gals are tough! Liable to Cheney ya!).

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Western Kansas gets pretty marginal for quail habitat-wise, but this year could be better than most. Try to remember not to take a covey below 5 or 6 birds for winter survival. You can't stockpile them, but it's nice to have a chance of carry over.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great pictures Cheesy! I am itching to go and the dogs want get started no doubt. Nice looking dogs too!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by Mike Armstrong
But be ready for LONG shots on WILD birds...

Be vewy, vewy, quiet. wink

Pointing dog, no yelling, no bells, and injun up on them. It never gets old.

Do you know how hard it is trying to get people to be quiet when they get out of a vehicle? Most slam their door, then proceed to let the tailgate slam down, then start yelling at the dogs and then proceed to load their shotgun while carrying on a loud conversation with anyone listening. By this time the birds are all 1/2 mile away and hopefully the blockers are in place.

Wind in Kansas???? You must be mistaken, LMAO. The wind is one of your best allies. Always keep the wind in your face (if possible) and it will help you bag more birds. The dogs will actually work better for you if walking into the wind.

The #1 problem I see the most is when you start walking and there are always those that just take off like there is a race to the other end. Take your time and you will get up more of the birds that try to sit tight and let you walk over them.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yeah, I think I permanently wrecked my spine on one of those "sitters"! He launched out of my left back pocket, or so it seemed. My back has a permanent left twist, like some revolver bores. Got him with the second barrel; if the first had connected, he would have been a feather duster for sure. (Got a little excited; cut back the caffeine a gallon or so, maybe?????).

How can a brightly-colored bird that seems as big as a B-36 when it takes off, hide in a puny furrow in an open field so you walk right past it? Some Chinese ninja magic????

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Okay guys, just how realistic is it for a Colorado elk hunter to load up the truck, drive to NW Kansas and hunt the public walk-in areas on his own and solo and without a dog, and expect to find and flush a few pheasants?

And just how crowded will those WIHAs likely be on opening weekend? I�m thinking between WaKeeney and Norton.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Bill Krenz
Colorado Springs

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,944
Posts18,480,168
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.