bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AZJR
After watching the CNBC Special Report this evening with three fellow shooters, hunters and owners of multiple Remington rifles, in our opinion the report seemed well documented and fair in all respects but one.

I have to agree with AZJR on this one. I have been using Remingtons for over 30 years. I've taught my kids to hunt with Remingtons. In addition to the show on CNBC I've read several mechanical reports on the Remington trigger and its design. I can see where it could fail in its mechanical workings. I am concerned enough that I will be looking into replacing the triggers on all my Remingtons with a trigger that is an upgrade in safe design. One in a million is not good enough odds for me with triggers and guns. 163bc

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I watched the show on CNBC last night about the Remington trigger issues. I own and shoot eight Remington 700s and 1 model 7 so I'm very concerned about this issue. I've shot Remington firearms for nearly 50 years and never had a safety problem or known anyone who had a problem with any Remington firearm. But, there is always that first time. Has the most recent Rem 700 trigger been modified to correct any potential problems? I know that the new production trigger was mentioned on the program but can't remember if they said it was an improvement. Anyone clear on that?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Typical TV propaganda, short on facts, long on emotion.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Croldfort it was not pointed at the boy went threw the trailer into the kid .The mother never pull the tricker this piece fired when it should have been taken care of in 1948 whem Walker the man that thought this up an told them of the problem

Last edited by savage62; 10/21/10. Reason: forgot d
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think that if Mike Walker wanted to alter his design for safety reasons, back in the 1940s, it should have been done.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know of one Rem. 700 trigger/safety that failed, perhaps 20 years ago. It was an 8 mm Rem. Mag., purchased just after they came out in that caliber, so it is possible to date it from that.

I also know the person who owned the rifle, and I know him well enough that he should stay away from any type of machinery. He adjusted the trigger on his rifle, and it would fire when the safety was released.

Rem. fixed it for him, and advised him to never, ever, mess with the trigger adjustments.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I'm reminded of the phrase we have our hunter education/firearms handling classes repeat over and over and over and over throughout each and every class... " A safety is a mechanical devise that can and will fail!"

I'm curious about something...quite a few custom firearm craftsmen use the Remington 700 as the platform for their customers' builds. Do any of them retain the factory Rem trigger in their finished rifles or do all install after-market triggers? Wondering if any who might keep the standard trigger assembly have had any of these discharge issues in their finished product?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Have you guys seen this yet?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39762676/ns/business-cnbc_tv/

CNBC reporting on deaths linked to safety problems with Remington 700 rifles.

The CEO of Remington stepped down just about 1 month ago! I wonder why?. He was aware of the ongoing investigation, the lawsuits, the potential recall...it was his job to know. He left. He hasn't been replaced...maybe it's hard to find a captain of a sinking ship!?

And it seems that they are cost cutting; typical when a large corporation is bought out...it sems like they could have solved this problem for 5 cents per gun way back!!!

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have stated this often and will do so again. There is no real proof that the trigger connector, as a design flaw, was or is the root cause of the rifles firing on safety release. There have been repeated claims that it was/is the problem but it has not been demonstrable. Theorizing, no matter how well presented, is not proof.
It has been shown that some triggers would allow the rifle to fire when the safety was disengaged IF the trigger was pulled while the safety was on. Elimination of the trigger connector would not have changed the outcome in these instances since the problem was with the safety lever and/or the sear. In some cases it was a result of poor quality control; in other cases it was the result of wear or improper adjustment.
The new trigger, which has eliminated the connector as part of the design, is purported to be perfectly safe, according to Jack Belk, since the connector is no longer there. The Remington 700 which I had come into the shop a couple of years back would seem to refute this since it also fired when the safety was disengaged. The cause was misadjustment of the trigger by the owner of the rifle.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I find it hard to believe people are actually defending Remington for putting out a defective/unsafe product and refusing to recall them for over 50 years. They deserve to go out of business for being so reckless and negligent with something as dangerous as firearms.

Ruger is a company that stands behinds it's products and is not afraid to recall products regardless of cost in order to do the right thing.

Scott
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Your post presupposes that Remington was producing a product which, by design, was unsafe. There is only the evidence of opinion to back this up. That Remington did produce some individual triggers which were flawed is inaruably so. They admitted this and did issue a recall to replace the triggers.
I do think it would have been wise to redesign (not that I think the design was at fault) the trigger at that time but it was hardly my call since I didn't work for Remington.
Ruger was also the target of a lawsuit as the result of an accidental discharge. They, like Remington, settled out of court. The demise of the tang safety Ruger 77 is probably related to this.
I find it hard to believe that people are so anxious to jump all over Remington when they have no real understanding of the issue. GD

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am convinced that this is a hit piece, aimed not just at Remington, but all gun manufacturers.
The 'facts' are bogus, the intent is to damage hunting, gun owners and gun manufacturers.

Sam......

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
Typical TV propaganda, short on facts, long on emotion.

The story showed a video made by Maine Police officers firing a Model 700 by just touching the safety. The US Army and Marines have experienced similar problems. Mike Walker, the designer of the rifle (now in his 90's) designed a new trigger to correct the problem 40 years ago but Remington decided not to offer it.

There are just too many documented stories to say this is an isolated incident. A safety is very important for all - the shooter, those down-range and the public (who do not need more anti-gun stories to feed their mis-conceptions!).

This is something that Remington needs to fix.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am convinced that this is a hit piece, aimed not just at Remington, but all gun manufacturers.
The 'facts' are bogus, the intent is to damage hunting, gun owners and gun manufacturers.

Sam - do you consider the US Army and USMC snipers complaints to be bogus? They have written to Remington a number of complaints of similar safety failues. Maybe, they are part of the conspiracy also, do you think?

Last edited by djs; 10/22/10.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by greydog
Your post presupposes that Remington was producing a product which, by design, was unsafe. There is only the evidence of opinion to back this up. That Remington did produce some individual triggers which were flawed is inaruably so. They admitted this and did issue a recall to replace the triggers.
I do think it would have been wise to redesign (not that I think the design was at fault) the trigger at that time but it was hardly my call since I didn't work for Remington.
Ruger was also the target of a lawsuit as the result of an accidental discharge. They, like Remington, settled out of court. The demise of the tang safety Ruger 77 is probably related to this.
I find it hard to believe that people are so anxious to jump all over Remington when they have no real understanding of the issue. GD

My tang-mounted safety Ruger Model 77 Varmint in 220 Swift also fires when the safety is pushed off. I learned this at the range 35 years ago and have never trusted it since. It is superbly accurate and the trigger is really great, so I have not returned it t Remington for correction, fearing that the trigger might not be as sweet.

On the other hand, my Ruger 77 in 30-06 (also tang safety) has not problems.

With the 220 Swift, I never load it until I am going to shoot and NEVER engage the safety, so I eliminate any concern s about it firing.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
I find it hard to believe people are actually defending Remington for putting out a defective/unsafe product and refusing to recall them for over 50 years. They deserve to go out of business for being so reckless and negligent with something as dangerous as firearms.

Ruger is a company that stands behinds it's products and is not afraid to recall products regardless of cost in order to do the right thing.

+100

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by djs
The story showed a video made by Maine Police officers firing a Model 700 by just touching the safety. The US Army and Marines have experienced similar problems. Mike Walker, the designer of the rifle (now in his 90's) designed a new trigger to correct the problem 40 years ago but Remington decided not to offer it.

There are just too many documented stories to say this is an isolated incident. A safety is very important for all - the shooter, those down-range and the public (who do not need more anti-gun stories to feed their mis-conceptions!).

This is something that Remington needs to fix.

+1000!!!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Once again;
I don't think anybody disputes that there are have been issues with Remington triggers and/or safeties or if they do, they are doing so from a position of ignorance. The question is, are the issues strictly a function of one aspect of the trigger design (the connector)as the critics would have us believe or are they the result of quality control failures. I believe it is the latter although, I hasten to add, I would have designed the Remington trigger differently.
Army, Marine, and civil police armorers are all capable of adjusting a trigger improperly and causing the problems described. Many are also incapable of properly diagnosing the root cause. That some Maine police officers were able to videotape a trigger malfunction is just slightly above meaningless.
djs,
Your Ruger is easily repairable. You should have it done. Someone else may own it someday. GD

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (Armednfree, 35, arky65, 300_savage, anothergun, 10 invisible), 16,971 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,196
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.