Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
After installing a Hart barrel in 8 mag, on the 75, I noticed a big deteriation in accuracy. This barrel was on a Rem 700, and literaly stacked the bullets in three shot groups. Now with the same loads, 3/4"- 1" groups are all it will do. The firing pin was dead centre on the Rem. but now is a little off. Not sure if this would degrade the accuracy this much.
<br>
<br>The stock fit was very tight, so just hadn't got around to bedding this one, until today. After removing stock, I checked the recoil lug, and found it to wiggle forward to back, in line with the barrel. I know the allen screw holding the recoil lug had been tightened before, but hadn't checked it after the rebarrel job. It may have been jarred loose by the action wrench when it was rebarreled. The set screw is quite pointed in relation to the indent in the lug, so there is very little surface area in contact. My preferance would be to weld the recoil lug solid, but this could,( would) effect the strenght of the action.
<br>
<br>Now my proposed method to correct this engineering defect of the 75 action, is to liberally coat every surface with red Loc-tite. I don't know if the Loc-tite will break down with recoil, but don't know of any alternatives.
<br>Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated. Thanks
<br>
<br>Also any special tips on bedding the 75 would be a big help as well . Brownell's SS bed will be used. I've done a few others, but not this one.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Canon, I use loctite on all my gun parts that I don't want coming loose. It has never failed me yet and I think you will find it works well, just make sure everything is clean and then apply it. The different colours, red, blue, green and purple are different strengths and some won't come loose unless heated up a bit before trying to undo the screw. I forget off hand which color relates to which size fastener but the bottle will usually tell you, I don't have my loctite book with me right now.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Partsman
<br>Thanks for the input. After checking the movement with a dial indicator, there is .008" travel on end of recoil lug, with the set screw loosened off. It is about a half inch high, so that is a fairly loose fit. I guess the proper way to correct this, would be to machine a new recoil lug, about a half a thou. thicker, so it has to be tapped into place (and Loc-tited). Hard to believe Sako can get their stock inletting to such tight tolerances and have such a sloppy fit on the recoil lug. Have any other Sako 75 owners experienced this problem ?
<br>
<br>Part of the reason I tried the 75 was their advertising the fine CNC machining, yet the integral scope bases didn't line up on the first rifle purchased. The use of Sako rings would correct this problem, but using rings such as Warne or others would stress the scope. I still think it's a fine rifle , if this is the last of the bugs. [Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have not had a Sako 75 to play with yet, but have done a L691 mag long action into a 375 Ackley Imp. I through away the little "L" shapped recoil lug that came with it. I used instead one of Daryl Holland's bracket type lugs bored out a 1 inch ID. Faced the champfer off of the front of the action to do so. Worked great. This might be the best thing to do on the newer 75's also... just think Remington type lug.

Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Swarf
<br>
<br>Good idea. Wish I'd have thought of that when it was rebarreled. It's glued in and bedded now, so just waiting for it to cure before I try it out. If it doesn't meet expectations, at least there is an alternative , Thanks.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 56 invisible), 3,185 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,665
Posts18,534,104
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.