Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
They ain't a popular choice for those that only pay to hunt.

Methinks there is a hidden meaning to this but that's ok I understand.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
You mean people knew remington 700's were junk for 20 years but they still keep buying them ?

The reason why I did not buy a Remington 700 decades ago was because of a similar problem with the Remington 600:
http://www.remington.com/pages/news...program/remington-model-600-and-660.aspx

I was trying to decide on a hunting rifle back in the 1980's. I eliminated the Remington after seeing the Remington 600 recall notice and reading about a park ranger who accidently shot his friend after releasing the safety on his Remington 600. It's been over 20 years but I still remember the anguish I felt after reading about this incident.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If everyone was forced to hunt with one of the older, in the 50s, Mannlicher rifles with double set triggers, they would soon learn to ALWAYS keep that muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
You should always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, firearms 101. A firearm shouldn't just fire at will either though. Im not saying Remington 700's do. none of my have, but if they are and Remington new that it was a poor design then they were wrong, I only heard NBC's side of the story but until I hear Remington's. It seemed convincing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Remington trigger issue is real.

Mike Walker, the engineer behind the original Rem trigger, urged Remington to change the trigger quite early on.

Remington's own studies show 100% muzzle control is not possible.

An internal Remington document showed, in one batch of 600's, a 50% FOSR at the factory.

I've leafed through reams of depositions and documents relating to the Remington Trigger Issue. It's quite depressing really.

At the end of the day, the current ownership of Remington grew a pair and changed the design. A move I applaud them for and they won me back as a customer.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
And the desin change eliminated to connector to mollify those who had siezed upon it as the root cause. It was not. A trigger block was added to the safety to prevent the trigger being pulled when the safety was engaged. As evidenced by rifles I have had in the shop, the new trigger can be messed up as well by an inept owner. If due, to quality control issues, as before,Remington was to produce some safetys which had a little too much clearance, we would again see some failures.
The connector was not the problem; trigger geometry which exacerbated quality control isses were.
The new trigger is compromised by being made so that retro-fitting is possible. GD

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by woofer
5 cents of common sense goes a long way... milking the cow dry then beefing it seems to be a better way to manage a business these days....

i wonder why gm is not linked to multiple deaths involving DUI cases. seems there might be a great story there.. what??!! no device to keep a raging drunk from driving the wrong way up the interstate and killing a family of 5!!!! eeegggaaddsss.... pin heads....

woofer

It reportedly would have cost Remington $0.055 (five and one-half cents each) to have installed a redesigned trigger originally. Assuming 6,000,000 Model 700 (and family) rifles to have been produced, this would have cost a total of $330,000. Even assuming inflation, this would have been a much less expensive alternative to lawsuits and settlements. CEO�, accountants and lawyers often make the lousiest decisions.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
You mean people knew remington 700's were junk for 20 years but they still keep buying them ?

Mike Walker recommeded a new trigger design in the 1950's (that's over 50 years ago!).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by greydog
And the desin change eliminated to connector to mollify those who had siezed upon it as the root cause. It was not. A trigger block was added to the safety to prevent the trigger being pulled when the safety was engaged. As evidenced by rifles I have had in the shop, the new trigger can be messed up as well by an inept owner. If due, to quality control issues, as before,Remington was to produce some safetys which had a little too much clearance, we would again see some failures.
The connector was not the problem; trigger geometry which exacerbated quality control isses were.
The new trigger is compromised by being made so that retro-fitting is possible. GD

GD, that's interesting... thanks for the insight.

What aftermarket trigger do you recommend for the 700? The only one I've used is the Timney...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf
Hey, any gun you want is fine, I just resent being called a moron.. my parents raised an idiot... I have a letter from my father telling me that they raised an idiot!

You too! WE must be brothers! Hi Bro.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by woofer
5 cents of common sense goes a long way... milking the cow dry then beefing it seems to be a better way to manage a business these days....

i wonder why gm is not linked to multiple deaths involving DUI cases. seems there might be a great story there.. what??!! no device to keep a raging drunk from driving the wrong way up the interstate and killing a family of 5!!!! eeegggaaddsss.... pin heads....

woofer

It reportedly would have cost Remington $0.055 (five and one-half cents each) to have installed a redesigned trigger originally. Assuming 6,000,000 Model 700 (and family) rifles to have been produced, this would have cost a total of $330,000. Even assuming inflation, this would have been a much less expensive alternative to lawsuits and settlements. CEO�, accountants and lawyers often make the lousiest decisions.

If a manufacturer admits by making a replacement or a modification to an existing design perhaps markedly in the area of "safety" one has to wonder if the door would have opened to more even more lawsuits....your honor and members of the jury.....even Remington themselves admit that this was a dangerous product that killed Mr. Jones....they admit it not on paper but in a more substantial and convincing manner....by making a replacement trigger that has had the problem "fixed"...

..anyway I am waiting on the big 1/2 price "sale" on 700's so's I can pick up a few..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A mere change in product design is not admissible to show a defect in the original design.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree, a 5 1/2 cent change when recommended would probably have resolved the entire issue and it would now be long forgotten. Sometimes when you burry your head into the sand to any issues that arise after tooling up and pushing the go button for manufacturing, the small problems turn into bigger systemic problems. You end up spending more effort trying to burry the issues instead of resolving them. At some point you dig yourself into a hole too large to conceal and it becomes front page news. Remington definitely gave a ton of fuel for the liberal press bonfire.

Best:)

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Boo-D-Hoo to the Remington crew! Bout time you got a serving of the same BS we've had to listen to from you every time we mention a different brand. Face it Sitka, you are ass, and now you're getting wiped.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Go milk a bull, bout all you're probably good at.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Older, Slower, not much wiser. All the downside of youth and none of the pluses.

That about says it all.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by corelokt
Boo-D-Hoo to the Remington crew! Bout time you got a serving of the same BS we've had to listen to from you every time we mention a different brand. Face it Sitka, you are ass, and now you're getting wiped.

Let's see... I own Mausers of many flavors, Winchesters, Brownings, Kreighoff, Ithacas, Savages, Colts, S&Ws, Taurus, TC, and some I have likely forgotten... Yeah I am the ultimate single brand whore...

It takes a lot more than a MSM hack job on a decades-old issue to bother me.

And you use a Remington brand as your handle... a brand that signifies the cheapest bullet made? A bullet that has done worse on the Juenke machine of all the bullets I have ever tested? And I am the delusional one? wink

Have a nice day!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So is there some sort of "middle ground" to this discussion or is it all a manufactured tempest in a teapot with absolutely no factual basis? Full disclosure, I only own one Remington rifle, a 22-250 stainless Varminter that shoots dime sized holes all day long, but having said that, I've never cared for Remington's other featurers like a safety that won't lock the bolt, the extractor, bolt handle, etc. Then again I'm one of those who pays to hunt on occassion, thereby deeming me a rank amateur...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Maybe this will change the tone a bit, hard not to agree on a .30-06 Springfield:)

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,076
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.