Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
So is there some sort of "middle ground" to this discussion or is it all a manufactured tempest in a teapot with absolutely no factual basis? Full disclosure, I only own one Remington rifle, a 22-250 stainless Varminter that shoots dime sized holes all day long, but having said that, I've never cared for Remington's other featurers like a safety that won't lock the bolt, the extractor, bolt handle, etc. Then again I'm one of those who pays to hunt on occassion, thereby deeming me a rank amateur...

Jorge,

Unfortunately few seem to wish to discuss the (potential?) issue merely from an engineering perspective, and those that do get shouted down amid the BS that these threads seem to attract..

The problem as i see it is that any AD's could as easily be down to operator error or bubba gunsmithing as to a flaw in the Remington design and trying to sort one from the other based on secondhand reports is pretty much impossible.

So I guess it comes down to each Remington owner to decide what the odds are that one day when they take the safety off, the rifle will fire...If you are happpy with that being a million to one chance, and that because you practice safe gun handling, there is no risk anyway, forget it and hunt with your rifle as is..

If on the otherhand you think its an unacceptable risk, either send the rifle to Remington for them to fix, or get a replacement aftermarket trigger.

I don't own a Remington, but if I did, I'd look at fitting a Timney (or similar) and just be done with it...

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 10/24/10.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a reasonable approach Pete, but as I alluded, I just don't care for all the other issues that in my opinion make for an inferior product when compared to the likes of Winchester, Ruger, Weatherby, etc., hence the huge cottage industry focused solely on Remington triggers, bolts, extractors, etc. There are other brands I also don't care for, such as the new Brownings, Savages, etc. Cheers, jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by woofer
5 cents of common sense goes a long way... milking the cow dry then beefing it seems to be a better way to manage a business these days....

i wonder why gm is not linked to multiple deaths involving DUI cases. seems there might be a great story there.. what??!! no device to keep a raging drunk from driving the wrong way up the interstate and killing a family of 5!!!! eeegggaaddsss.... pin heads....

woofer

It reportedly would have cost Remington $0.055 (five and one-half cents each) to have installed a redesigned trigger originally. Assuming 6,000,000 Model 700 (and family) rifles to have been produced, this would have cost a total of $330,000. Even assuming inflation, this would have been a much less expensive alternative to lawsuits and settlements. CEO�, accountants and lawyers often make the lousiest decisions.

If a manufacturer admits by making a replacement or a modification to an existing design perhaps markedly in the area of "safety" one has to wonder if the door would have opened to more even more lawsuits....your honor and members of the jury.....even Remington themselves admit that this was a dangerous product that killed Mr. Jones....they admit it not on paper but in a more substantial and convincing manner....by making a replacement trigger that has had the problem "fixed"...

..anyway I am waiting on the big 1/2 price "sale" on 700's so's I can pick up a few..

Couple of points:

1) Walker recommended a re-design before (or just after) the initial design was released to the public, so no deaths would have occurred and damages would have to be paid.

2) If any bargains on Remington 700's appear, you'll be second in line - I'll be right ahead of you.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by nighthawk
A mere change in product design is not admissible to show a defect in the original design.

Ruger has made a number of re-designs and recalls and it does not seem to have hurt them too much.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As a fundamental design flaw a safety that blocks the sear simply is not as desirable as a safety that blocks the striker. Remington 700's safety's are inherantly inferior to Winchester Model 70's and Ruger Model 77's..............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been told the new X Mark Pro triggers do not have this problem. Can anybody verify that or link to some information that does?

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djpaintless
As a fundamental design flaw a safety that blocks the sear simply is not as desirable as a safety that blocks the striker. Remington 700's safety's are inherantly inferior to Winchester Model 70's and Ruger Model 77's..............................DJ

If there is a trigger/sear failure on any of them, they will fire on safety release. Just fewer and more positive parts arrangement.

Bruce

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
444Matt,
The X-mark Pro triggers eliminated the connector and incorporated a trigger block safety to prevent the trigger from being pulled when the safety was engaged. I like the trigger just fine but these triggers can also be misadjusted and will malfunction as will virtually every other trigger on the market. If I was doing the redesign, I would have taken the opportunity to design a better trigger. Remington was hindered in this by the need to make a trigger which could be retro-fitted to older Remington rifles. When Winchester elected to change the model 70 trigger, they suffered from no such restraints. Whether or not their new trigger was an improvement is not germane to this discussion.
From the outset, I have disagreed with Jack Belk's contention that the connector was the root cause of all Remington trigger malfunction; or even a large portion of them. Eliminating the connector would not necessarily have prevented any of the accidents over the years. The connector is a red herring IMO.
For aftermarket triggers, I have used triggers from Timney, Shilen, Riflebasix, Jewel, and Canjar and all have been just fine. On my own rifles, I have Remington, Canjar, Hart, and my own three lever conversions. I'm not dissatisfied with any of them.
Jorge1,
The huge industry providing triggers, bolts, extractors etc., exists because there are huge numbers of Remingtons out there and they are popular as the basis of target/varmint rifles. It is not because they are fundementally flawed and need the parts in order to function. If poor design and poor quality control was the criteria for a healthy after market industry, we would be flooded with aftermarket A-Bolt parts.
In closing, I want to make some things perfectly clear. First, while I don't believe the connector was the root cause of Remington trigger malfunction, I do think it was a piece which should have been left out of the design. Second, there is no question that there have been accidents involving Remingtons and that many of these accidents were, inpart, due to manufacturing defects or poor quality control. It is sad that some had to learn such hard lessons from these accidents. Third, Remington was wrong in not letting the engineers and people on the shop floor to take care of the problem rather than allowing the legal department to handle it. Fourth, anytime you provide the consumer the opportunity to adjust a trigger, you are opening the door to problems. Ruger discovered this with the M77 and you will note, their triggers are no longer adjustable. As I said, I disagree with Jack Belk on this but respect his right to his opinion. He's just wrong, that's all. I disagree with the Barber's attack on Remington but I understand their reasoning and sympathize with them. I can't imagine the emotional trauma they must have suffered. I've made mistakes over the years too; I just got away with them. GD

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nicely said!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1) Walker recommended a re-design before (or just after) the initial design was released to the public, so no deaths would have occurred and damages would have to be paid.

There would have been no deaths if IDIOTS hadn't pointed their guns at someone

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Go milk a bull, bout all you're probably good at.

Show me how, oh expert of all.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I personally have no beef with Remington. I like the 870 and the 760. I like their older rimfires. I don't dislike the 700 even.
I grew up and learned with a Targetmaster 22. I've owned 870's 760's, 788's, and currently a model 241. I sincerely hope Remington rides this out and continues to do well. The employees at Remington, and even the current owners are not to blame for this, I hope they do not pay with their jobs.
I do dislike the fact that the previous management(s) at Remington swept this issue under a carpet and let it continue to injure people. That is a blatant disregard for the safety and lives of good people.
As for the idiots here who have bashed anyone who dares have a differing opinion to theirs, I am glad they are on the receiving end. Do unto others, what they sowed, now they reap. Maybe, though I doubt it, they might even learn to be civil in the future. Being civil means having compassion and decency. All they have is big mouths and bile.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by corelokt
As for the idiots here who have bashed anyone who dares have a differing opinion to theirs, I am glad they are on the receiving end. Do unto others, what they sowed, now they reap. Maybe, though I doubt it, they might even learn to be civil in the future. Being civil means having compassion and decency. All they have is big mouths and bile.

Oh you mean like you posted here:
"Boo-D-Hoo to the Remington crew! Bout time you got a serving of the same BS we've had to listen to from you every time we mention a different brand. Face it Sitka, you are ass, and now you're getting wiped."

Not sure what all your problems are, but talking out of at least two faces is one of them.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf
Hey, any gun you want is fine, I just resent being called a moron.. my parents raised an idiot... I have a letter from my father telling me that they raised an idiot!

You too! WE must be brothers! Hi Bro.

Ha! You guys are just mere idiots. My dad always told me that I was a PERFECT idiot! Guess I got y'all beat.

Never had the subject problem occur with my 700s. Haven't seen the program either. Any mention of Model Sevens doing this?

I did have a CZ side x side that would sometimes fire when closing the action. Key word here is "did" as in past tense. smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Any mention of Model Sevens doing this?

Haven't seen a mention specifically, but yep, it can happen with them .

Not mentioning why, the internet you know. But will say a idiot problem.

And no! My Rems are not for sale.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf
Hey, any gun you want is fine, I just resent being called a moron.. my parents raised an idiot... I have a letter from my father telling me that they raised an idiot!

Ha! You guys are just mere idiots. My dad always told me that I was a PERFECT idiot! Guess I got y'all beat.

Never had the subject problem occur with my 700s. Haven't seen the program either. Any mention of Model Sevens doing this?

I did have a CZ side x side that would sometimes fire when closing the action. Key word here is "did" as in past tense. smile

I've got 2 Remington Model Sevens (260 and 308). Never had a problem, although I believe the triggers are identical and of the late design. BTW, I was so shaken by the CNBC show and the discussion on this forum, that I bought a Model 700 CDL in 35 Whelen last night.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad ,you are wrong,Mike Walker didn't design the trigger,McSweeny(sp) did. DuPont just bought the patent from him.The connector was added to give the patent a longer life.True,I have a quality 1980 rifle,but the factory trigger is a much better design for a hunting rifle than the Rifle Basic.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 700's have been linked to multiple deaths ranging from 35 to 420 yards from the muzzle. All were intentional on critters from greydiggers to elk. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Originally Posted by djs
[quote=Colo_Wolf]Hey, any gun you want is fine, I just resent being called a moron.. my parents raised an idiot... I have a letter from my father telling me that they raised an idiot!

yeah, and due to a slight hemorrhoid problem, I lost my standing as a perfect as*****.

Haven't had a problem with the 700 or my 70's. Did with my savage, note the past tense there also.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We'll agree to disagree. I posit the reason for the aftermarket is because those three components continuosuly come up as weak design features of the marque. When Winchester was king of the hill there was never an after market for parts like with Remington.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (02bfishn, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 160user, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 16,362 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,202
Posts18,543,596
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.