Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My best bow buck was stolen a few years ago. I hit him a hair forward striking the opposite shoulder blade, got 19"-20" of penetration and the arrow broke off. I went home and gave him an hour, I was on my own land. I tracked him around 200yds onto another property, very good blood trail, to a nice big pool of blood, with a blood trail leading to a neighbors field up to a set of tire tracks leaving the field. I was pretty sick over that and I have not bow hunted much since.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
WOW I can't believe a shot through vitals from a .454 casull left NO blood.Boy sometimes deer blood is thick and clots a wound.Same with shotgun wounds sometimes. I wonder how they can run a 100yards with a 1oz. through the chest and little or no blood???I think sometimes archery shots, bleed better. Even with two craps shots in the hind end ,I made yesterday.The deer they stole under my nose went 150yards and piled up right on the edge of a field.He was heading to a swamp and never made it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I stole a deer once.....stole it back that is. I hit a big whitetail buck a little too far back while hunting in the bluffs above Goose Creek in WY. The buck made it half way across an alfalfa field down in the creek bottom and collapsed dead. Before I could get to it two slobs came out of the trees along the creek and laid claim to my buck. I explained that I knew it was my buck and that neither of them had fired a shot. They made it pretty clear that they were prepared to get rough so I backed off with the thought that no deer is worth getting hurt for or maybe getting in a bind by hurting someone else.

Just before dark that evening who do I see in the national forest campground I was in but the two slobs with MY buck hanging in their camp. They apparently didnt notice me. After they turned in, my partner and I retrieved my buck and tarped it in my truck. By first light I was gone to town to the processor.
I'd have loved to have been a bird in a tree that morning in that camp.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
After hearing and seeing deer that are hit good and still getting away,or at least across the property line,for that reason when I saw a 10 pt buck on my property I gave it everything I had to stop it from getting to the swamp and property line.He never made it to the line.Hit him a number of times with a 444 and 45 colt.He just wouldnt stop.
My friend did loose a buck after hitting it good with a 12 ga back a number of years ago.It jumped a rock wall(read property line)and landed in a heap.The property owner was near and fired a shot at the dead deer and claimed it was his and took it.
Once a few years ago when I was out feeding the horses I heard a number of shots and walked into the pasture and see a hunter standing on the rock wall property line about 300 yds away and firing at this doe standing in my field.This so called hunter saw me,stopped shooting and turned and walked away.I always wondered how he thought he was going to get this deer if he had hit it while it was in my field in plain sight.I had my cell phone with me and the CO's number is loaded in it.

Last edited by levergunz; 10/24/10.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I wish I could just steal it back if I knew who it was!!The stupid law in this state makes it anyones deer once a tag is on it!!Not worth going to jail over a dead deer, When he knows who got it.I'll live on to a new hunt.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
feel yer pain, could ya just STFU?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think if two hunters are going to stand and argue over a dead deer, someone (most likely the one who bagged it) should call a game warden and let him officiate the matter. I suspect the one trying to claim it as their kill but isn't will back down at the very idea of calling a warden. I've a buddy who did just that- he took a long 350 yard shot and wounded a large buck. A few moments later, an adjacent property-line hunter shot and killed it. The two met at the deer and began the debate over whose it was. The warden was called and he of course gave it to the shooter who killed the animal. What my buddy forgot to tell the warden was that the hunter awarded the animal shot across property lines making his shot illegal. Had he mentioned that, it's very possible the warden would have made a different call. I think it's a wise idea to keep the phone number of a game warden handy when hunting particularly when hunting state land.

I'm Kev

<---He's Grady. Australian Shepherd... aka. Super-G.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Not me, but my late brother did. Stolen right off his car while he was in a resturant.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
kevnbro you 100% right!I should have called a game warden right then and said NOBODY is taking the deer till he comes and solves the matter that way.Well it was a lesson learned it, will never happen to me again!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My dad tells the story of the first buck he ever shot, It was a 3pt and was near the top of a ridge he was only 8 years old at the time and with his dad. His dad let him take the shot and it was a good hit. The buck went over the ridge and died.

It took them a while getting to it on the count of my dad only being 8 years old. They never heard another shot, but when they got there two other guys were standing over the deer gutting it.

His dad was surprised, but thankful for then taking care of the deer like that. He started thanking them and telling them that they didn't have to do it, and that he would take care of the deer himself.

the guys then got defensive and one of the said this is our deer we found it and I already tagged it.

My Grandfather promptly unloaded a full mag of 30-06 rounds in to the hind quarters of the deer as it laid there dead, and then politely told them "you can have it" laugh

IC B3

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I know someone a few years ago that was squeezing the trigger on a nice buck on private land when someone shot it from in a vehicle on the road. They knew the person who shot it off the road, and they asked for help dragging it out. I know they never turned them in because of small town politics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shot one with abow and it crossed our property line onto our neighbors.

When I drove over there to ask permission ot look for it it was hanging in the tree.

They were gave it back. Seemed a squirrel hunter found it and hauled it to their camp.

JM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jasonlemire31
The law in Massachusetts is who ever tags it first is there deer!What are you going to do?? Just move on to the next chance and learn from your mistakes.I was trained as a young boy to wait 1hour+ for gut shots or non vital hits.Today it bit me in the butt.In public land I learned stay on your hit deer faster.I hope someone here learns from this and I'll sleep better tonight.Good luck to all!

Whoever trained you to wait an hour for a bow gutshot... doesn't have a clue about what it really takes....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Once dropped a doe at first light, cleaned her and brushed her up to be picked up later in the morning. Continued on with the morning hunt, but when I returned later to get her out to the truck found that someone had followed my trail to her and taken her home. I thought to myself they must have needed her far more than me so never did lose any sleep over it. Of course, if it had been a decent buck I wouldn't have been so charitable!
My brother once witnessed a couple local boys in the east kootenays lifting a deer from someone elses camp. The culprits were spotted by someone else who followed them to the highway and confronted them, only to have a rifle pointed at him! A quick call to the RCMP with a license plate # and some details brought that to a lawful conclusion!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
In Nebraska a deer still belongs to the State until someone with a valid tag takes possession of it by physically touching it. It doesnt matter who shot it, it matters who takes possession of it first. This was a ruling from a court years ago.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My second legal year of hunting the Pa deer season, at age 13, I lost two bucks I shot on the opening day. The first I shot twice and when I got to the deer there was one guy gutting and two guys calling him every name in the book. They asked me if I had shot the deer and I said yes and then offered to take the deer away from the other guy who they saw shoot the deer while it was lying on the ground. It got ugly mighty quick and I didn't think even a slob hunter need to be beat so I told him he could have the deer.

I returned to my stand and in just a couple of minutes shot another nearly identical buck but hit a limb right in front of my barrel. I track the deer slowly but heard a shot and fround a very excited older gentleman. He said this was his first buck in many years and had shot the buck with a 25-20, 92 Winchester. I walked up the deer with the man and when he turned it over it was ripped from the sternum all the way down. I had found much of the stomach while tracking. When asked I explained I had shot it but told him he had put it down and it was his deer.

I feel good about both my decisions.

While hunting with a partner I shot an elk 6 times, it just wouldn't stop and I shoot until they fall. My partner shot at it once after I had shot 3 or 4 times. There were 6 holes in the elk - nice group. He pointed at the one hole and said that was his shot. I said OK, but you have to admit then the other 5 are mine and I shot first and last, plus he had turned and dropped a spike so we both agreed the spike was his and the 6x6 was mine.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Long story short, I busted a six point in 1987 and it ran over a hill and dropped dead just across the property line, or very close to it.

As I crested the hill, two dickweasels were standing over it. After the small talk about nice deer and whatnot, one told the other to get the truck so they could load him up and take it back to the house.

Although I indicated that I had killed the deer, they insisted they shot it, even though I didn't hear any shooting, nor could they identify the entrance wound location, without first rolling it over.

Since they assured me it was their deer, by pointing their shotguns at me, I left.

Turns out they were on that property illegally as well, thir hunting spot was the next quarter over. There was a good chance that vandals entered their barn later that evening and desecrated the deer, from what I hear.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Years ago my wife's cousin was hunting by himself one evening.He heard 2 or 3 shots on a near by ranch then it all got quiet.
He saw a deer limping from the west and noticed it was shot far back.He had his 264 win mag with him and decided to end it's suffering.
He shot it through the hams and down it went.He loaded it up and went to the ranch gate down the way and met the guys coming out.
He asked if they had seen anything and they told him about the buck they shot at.They were feeling bad because it got away, they knew the shots were in the right place.
That's when he fessed up and told them the deer came on our place and died.
He always called his 264 mag his hamburger rifle for a reason,shooting 140gr bullets real fast.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I shot a doe in a large clearing two years ago and the hit was too far back, but lethal. She ran about 75yds and laid down. This redneck guy saw her go down, so he runs up to her, jumps her, puts one through the back straps and one through the hams! By the time I get around in the truck he's got her loaded up and is saying he don't really want to fool with her. I'm sitting there thinking "why in the hell did you shoot her?" I tell him I'll take her off your hands and he gave me my deer smile Lost some good meat, but got my deer without a hassle.

I know a guy that shot a dandy mulie on public ground in CO, left his deer to get help, and when he returned two guys were about to drag it out. Luckily he had a pretty big fella with him for help and the two guys didn't put up much of a fuss.

I was always taught 1st lethal hit gets the deer. I'll glady finish one off for someone, but realize it's their animal.

The private land thing is near and dear to me as we have a poaching problem at times. If some jackass shoots a deer on my land and I catch them, I'll have it at the processor for a needy family before he gets out of jail. Always good to have the Sherrif's number in the cell smile Bad thing is it's hard to catch them, I mostly just find foot prints and atv tracks.

loder

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Heavywalker _It's still a shame your first memories of that special day where ruined by such scum!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, afisher, 6 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.