-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the open design of the basic Mauser military trigger for a durable hunting rifle. I have no experience with the current Winchester version, but I really like the Winchester take on this design with the previous M70 trigger. The M77 can be worked over to some degree, but I always liked the previous generation of M70 triggers as being near ideal for shooting game afield. Boxed up triggers, and this floating connector never gave me the same level of confidence.

Best:)

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
My 2cents. Remington triggers can be adjusted with new springs and not messing with the sear.Lay the deaths at the feet of the nimrod who adjusted the trigger.If you are not capable of pulling the trigger assembly apart to do it correctly,pay a good Gunsmith to do it for you.

This doesn't come up very often but IMO I feel that it would be very interesting to know how many of the trigger issues happened after some Back Yard Barney decided to do his own trigger! Seriously I think people would be amazed to know how often this happens and people naturally won't fess up to it either. Easier to blame the factory..

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
FWIW I have a John Browning designed gun that can and does go click, even when the mitts are off, even a few pistols that ceased to quit firing.

Everyone wants a crisp, clean trigger, but not everyone keeps rounds out of the chamber when rounds should be out of the chamber.

Let's forget any kind of sear that need be man made and go back to lighting 12 ft. of fuse; but I'm sure someone would [bleep] that up too....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
We'll agree to disagree. I posit the reason for the aftermarket is because those three components continuosuly come up as weak design features of the marque. When Winchester was king of the hill there was never an after market for parts like with Remington.

I posit your posit is all wet... wink When Winchester was king there was little in the way of gun tinkering going on as there has been these last 25 years or so. Sure there were the POs and such, but there was never enough of them to support an industry of significance. Most of the tinkerers made their own upgrade parts.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by corelokt
I personally have no beef with Remington. I like the 870 and the 760. I like their older rimfires. I don't dislike the 700 even.
I grew up and learned with a Targetmaster 22. I've owned 870's 760's, 788's, and currently a model 241. I sincerely hope Remington rides this out and continues to do well. The employees at Remington, and even the current owners are not to blame for this, I hope they do not pay with their jobs.
I do dislike the fact that the previous management(s) at Remington swept this issue under a carpet and let it continue to injure people. That is a blatant disregard for the safety and lives of good people.
As for the idiots here who have bashed anyone who dares have a differing opinion to theirs, I am glad they are on the receiving end. Do unto others, what they sowed, now they reap. Maybe, though I doubt it, they might even learn to be civil in the future. Being civil means having compassion and decency. All they have is big mouths and bile.

Sweet Jesus, you sound just like one of those snot nosed kids that always get the [bleep] kicked out of him in school, and now in life. Guessing you've never had control over anything, quite funny really.

Now go buy a pre-64 and go on a guided hunt.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Go milk a bull, bout all you're probably good at.

Show me how, oh expert of all.

Open wide bitch

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does anyone know why FN scrapped the old trigger design for the new MOA design ?

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Lee24?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think he designed the entire FN facility.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
All I know is that if you give a dude a transfer bar, its his green light to rock on with a full cylinder six until he has an "accident", of which he is a 100 percent victim.......

Its scary out there; stay inside scarecrow....you're playing with fire.

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I am going to drop the whole thing. My point was never against Remington as now is, good trigger now, getting better QA. My issue is solely with persons here who give our sport a crude, offensive, face.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
that is what my wife says about me...I have a crude and offensive face..so..

I know lets all sing Kumbaya My Lord it will help your hurt feelers.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I am going to drop the whole thing. My point was never against Remington as now is, good trigger now, getting better QA. My issue is solely with persons here who give our sport a crude, offensive, face.

I'm betting it's the IDIOTS that are the real problem.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by jorgeI
We'll agree to disagree. I posit the reason for the aftermarket is because those three components continuosuly come up as weak design features of the marque. When Winchester was king of the hill there was never an after market for parts like with Remington.

I posit your posit is all wet... wink When Winchester was king there was little in the way of gun tinkering going on as there has been these last 25 years or so. Sure there were the POs and such, but there was never enough of them to support an industry of significance. Most of the tinkerers made their own upgrade parts.
art

Maybe, but those three components are still HIGH failure items with Remington if they worked people wouldn't be changing them in the numbers they do and still today Winchesters don't need any of that stuff. Forget the safety and the fact it doesn't even lock the bolt (that's downright cheesy), but have you ever looked at a Rem extractor? it's pretty thin.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now Jorge, the fact I have more than a couple dozen examples of the 700 bolts and extractors on hand and have seen lots more should give me some idea how they work... Still waiting for the first dangling bolt handle...

And I have purchased 700 bolts with extractor issues I have not had one fail on me but expect pressure excursions were involved...

But I have seen 70 extractors fail more than once. Just saw one a couple days ago with a huge chip out of the working end.

Further, I posit the notion of need to replace 700 extractors with Sako style is a function of ridiculous hype generated by your style of angst! wink

I cannot imagine trusting any safety... When it is time to shoot it is time to load, not before...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Mirrors should be tough for you to look in for a while...

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I'm betting it's the IDIOTS that are the real problem.

The same people who can't control the muzzle of their firearm are probably a menace when given car keys as well!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like what Dober said. Would like to know how many of those triggers had been monkeyed with.

I'm not a lawyer, but I would assume that in any case where there was pending litigation, the rifle involved would have been checked to see if the trigger had been altered.

I don't understand why Remington would be liable, much less pay settlements on rifles that had their trigger mechanisms altered after the rifle left the factory.

One possibility is that Rem. doesn't want to put their fate in the hands of judges and juries who do not possess a working knowledge of trigger mechanisms and safeties.

Seeing pics of Jr. layed out on the ground, coupled with a smooth talking attorney and a courtroom full of grieving family members is gonna tug at the heart strings....So out of court settlements may be the best option even if the rifle is not at fault.

If some of these rifles had unaltered triggers, then that's a different deal.

I think the one damnable issue in all this that poses the biggest problem for Remington, is the fact that the man who designed it is on record as saying a potentially unsafe condition existed. He created a fix and wrote multiple memos on the subject warning of AD's that were ignored.

That in itself will make it almost impossible for Remington to win in court cases where someone was killed by one of these rifles.

JM

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I think the one damnable issue in all this that poses the biggest problem for Remington, is the fact that the man who designed it is on record as saying a potentially unsafe condition existed. He created a fix and wrote multiple memos on the subject warning of AD's that were ignored.

That in itself will make it almost impossible for Remington to win in court cases where someone was killed by one of these rifles.

JM

That's kinda what I've been wondering about too, in regards to anyone saying that there is no problem. I have no doubt that most of the trigger issues are a result of "bubba" messing with the trigger, but from what I understand, Remington has internal docs showing that the trigger has a potential flaw, and that there are 'proven' cases of rifles right out of the box where the rifle could be made to fire w/out touching the trigger at the time the firing pin drops - i.e. put on the safety, mess w/ the trigger, resulting in the sear dropping when the safety was moved back to the 'fire' position.

Like I said before, I've had quite a few Rem-Walker triggers, unaltered (meaning they still had the factory seals over the adjustment screws) and I could never reproduce the 'problem' ... but that doesn't mean it didn't happen in some instances...

-WGM-
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have no angst Art. I only have one Remington and that's more than enough for me. Supply and demand is a beautiful thing and in that regard, the 700 keeps the parts manufacturers in business and no amount of economies od scale argument can negate that fact. Lastly "When it is time to shoot it is time to load, not before..." is purely subjective and a non-locking bolt safety is well "cheesy." I choose otherwise.

Last edited by jorgeI; 10/26/10.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

687 members (10gaugemag, 1100mag, 160user, 02bfishn, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 16,007 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,207
Posts18,543,655
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.