-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Or maybe it was just because he was who he was....I choose to think the latter....whatever, the result was a shooter who, to this day, holds him in the highest regard...."

I would like to think it was just because of who he was. I also corresponded with him during the early 60s. I wish I had have kept the letters he answered.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow! I didn't know about that. Two places I would like to visit are the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, Wyo., and the O'Connor Center.

I read all of his books; owned and wore out most of them. My first rifle was a .270, mostly on his recommendation. I found him entertaining and informative, great to read, a reliable source of information, much like I find John Barnsness, Ross Seyfried, (even if I didn't like him when we met) and Jim Charmichael.

'Course, my all-time favorite, although he wasn't a reloader, is/was Peter H. Capstick. Gotta read thru my collection again...it's been too long!

Last edited by 257Rob; 10/26/10.

What's the worst thing that can happen? O.K., what's the next worst thing?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+ 1 on Capstick. I have most (perhaps all) of his books, and even after reading them multiple times, I am not sure whether or not his books are fiction or if he actually did the things he claims.

There have been some comments on this forum questioning whether Capstick was for real or not, but I have never read anything that conclusively says that he was or wasn't. There are hints, but nothing that I can find that proves it one way or another.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

One of these days I intend to visit that place.....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 1234567
+ 1 on Capstick. I have most (perhaps all) of his books, and even after reading them multiple times, I am not sure whether or not his books are fiction or if he actually did the things he claims.

There have been some comments on this forum questioning whether Capstick was for real or not, but I have never read anything that conclusively says that he was or wasn't. There are hints, but nothing that I can find that proves it one way or another.

I had a conversation at a gun show, with a fellow representing an outfit called Lotus Publishers. (Okland, California) He was selling a book by John Kingsley-Heath. $95 back then. Whoa! A large book, with a magnificent photo of a bull elephant on the cover. Probably a good read, but back then...four kids and a dog limited my discretionary funds, soooo....

Anyhow, somehow the subject turned to Capstick, and the guy said, very confidentially. brushing his handlebar mustache with the back of his index finger: "You know, old boy,(British accent and all) that Capstick didn't do all that he claimed,don't you?"

I almost said "SO WHAT? The man can WRITE!" And his success caused much jealousy and discontent among those who couldn't do likewise. grin

Last edited by 257Rob; 10/26/10.

What's the worst thing that can happen? O.K., what's the next worst thing?
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
257Rob: I am a great and long time fan of Mr. O'Connor and own virtually all of his books and novels!
I enjoyed seeing and talking with him in person at an NRA Convention years ago.
Many years ago I remember having to "dig deep" and painfully to come up with the $80.00 (eighty dollars) it took to buy an original signed copy of his beautiful Derrydale Press book - Game In The Desert.
Not only is my copy signed it was personalized to one of Jack's college professors!
Some years ago I turned down a cash offer of $750.00 (seven hundred and fity dollars) for it!
There is a strong, and still currently robust market in books.
Jack O'Connor was NOT a totally perfect person - none of us are.
But his writings are "perfect" in my world anyway.
I look forward to next summer when I will be in Lewiston, Idaho and will take in the O'Connor center.
In fact I think I will raise a toast (bourbon and branch water!) this evening to the memory of Jack O'Connor.
He was one of a kind.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like so many here, I'm another one who grew up in the early '60's reading the Jack O'Conner stories - Many a winter nighte was spent reading them with a flashlight under the bed covers when I was supposed to be sleeping smile.

And, also like the others, my .270 goes right back to his writings.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 19 invisible), 1,419 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,665
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.