Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dubePA
Seriously? Really?

Real damn serious. Ain't we all heard since we were about five years old, that ya gotta really pay attention when unloading a M94, 'cause ya might shoot someone?

I've unloaded mine a few thousand times with nary a problem. My son mastered it at the age of 11. No lawyer safeties on it, was made in the mid 1920s. Same for my other lever guns, most of which were made prior to 1951.

Someone oughta dig up the inventer and kick his ass for such a poor design, that lends itself to a high risk of peril. Unless we just accept that most of the "safeness" of any firearm, is dependent on us?

No, I meant to question the thought process that equated accidentally pulling a trigger while unloading a weapon with a weapon firing spontaneously on its own when the safety was released.

GB1

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's another question I have, just to be objective about this entire issue...

Belk is shown (on Remington's website) answering "no" when asked if he was able to get any of the rifles he inspected to "accidentally fire" ...

What I'm curious about is the chain of possession of these rifles prior to getting into Belk's hands. Did Remington get these "faulty" rifles, make any adjustments, and THEN let Belk inspect them? Were the rifles that Belk inspected fresh off the production line, or were they returned rifles? Were any/all the rifles Belk inspected adjusted by someone outside of the Remington factory? on and on and on ...

Again, I'm not taking a position on either side of this fence ... Just trying to figure out the what/who/how/why so that I can make my own informed opinion about it.

-WGM-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, I meant to question the thought process that equated accidentally pulling a trigger while unloading a weapon with a weapon firing spontaneously on its own when the safety was released.

And I was equating the thought process that allows one to point a loaded firearm at someone and hoping it doesn't go off while unloading, to someone that is essentially clueless.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dubePA

And I was equating the thought process that allows one to point a loaded firearm at someone and hoping it doesn't go off while unloading, to someone that is essentially clueless.

And when will you understand that it poses a danger even when one isn't pointing it at someone if it can and occasionally does go off unexpectedly?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
None of the M700s owned by me, the dozens and dozens owned by friends, or the hundreds that I've encountered at assorted ranges over the past 35 years, have ever exhibited any of these anomalies.

Hence, I am somewhat skeptical.

Here's what I have encountered a few times: Firearms that people have futsed around with, that eventually caused them problems due to their ineptness, carelessness and their general aura of stupidity. (Include improperly-adjusted triggers and bad reloading karma in that mix).

Pointing any firearm at another person, especially one that happens to be loaded, is a bad practice and I do not endorse it.

Yes, mechanical things can and do fail for various reasons. All the more reason to rely on one's own common sense, rather than the nonexistant infallibility of mechanical objects.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find it interesting that the ones who preach safety and muzzle control in one breath, say they are willing carry a firearm that may discharge unexpectedly in the next...

Don't have to look too far to see the irony in that.

I don't own any 700's, but if I did, I would be replacing the triggers in them just to be on the safe side.

That way, you can practice good muzzle control and not be worried about a malfunction causing an unexpected discharge.

That is what I would consider being responsible and safe.

YMMV

JM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drove Chevy pickups back in the 70s and 80s, that NBC "proved" might explode from side impacts, due to how/where the fuel tanks were mounted. Makes me a reg'lar daredevil, I reckon?

I was just lucky, apparently, because A: No one ever broad-sided me; nor B: Did anyone ever afix a rocket engine/remote igniter to the tanks to set 'em on fire, if I did ever get broad-sided?

Been carrying M700s since the late 1970s. Had someone that knew how, adjust the trigger on the first one, to about 3lbs when I bought it. Still works fine all these years later. It's one of the "hairy" ones that'cha gotta disengage the safety to open the bolt. You know, like the ones everyone is all het-up about.

And like every other firearm I've owned over the past 45+ years, it is never pointed in an unsafe direction, even when I know it isn't loaded.

Got to thinking about this today and it occured to me that the only rifle I've ever monkeyed with that had problems with the bolt de-cocking, or similar problems, was a SS Browning A bolt lightweight Medallion that a friend bought new. He wound up sending it back for repairs. First or second year production on the A bolts.

PS: Also have a M700 that the previous owner had a Timney installed on. It is no better than the original trigger on my first M700, as far as reliability, pull weight, creep, etc. Must be safer, though?

Last edited by dubePA; 10/28/10.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a difference between a high speed impact causing an explosion and simply manipulating the safety on a rifle causing one...

Like I said earlier, who knows if there is a real problem??

But if you consider the fact that the gent who designed them says there is the potential for a problem, that's enough for me to swap triggers and eliminate that issue.

That's all I'm saying.

Best,

JM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is ancient news being brought back up by the liberal media. It's amazing how uninformed gun owners are and what they will believe.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The post above about covers it. If THAT MORON likes them....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a difference between a high speed impact causing an explosion and simply manipulating the safety on a rifle causing one...

Yes, especially when the "dangers of high speed impacts" on Chevy trucks had to be manipulated by NBC's special affects wizards to produce their desired results. Perhaps you were not familiar with that one?

Now we have CNBC dredging up something that has been discussed and known about for many years, as if the problem appeared as a result of their "investigative journalism".

What do we know about Walker, the former Remington employee, that has exposed their negligence?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The post above about covers it. If THAT MORON likes them....

The most accurate and best selling production rifle in the world! I'm not the only one that likes them.

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swampman700

The most accurate and best selling production rifle in the world! I'm not the only one that likes them.

If they are the "most accurate" rifles in the world why don't they have an accuracy guarantee like several others do?.....................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's right on the barrel "Remington". If the others had built accurate rifles in the first place they wouldn't have to give you a piece of paper promising accuracy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I'm not mistaken, the CNBC report also stated that the 700 was the most popular hunting rifle ever made.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And that's why they are attacking it. This isn't about the Model 700. It's about hunting and guns.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
The most accurate and best selling production rifle in the world! I'm not the only one that likes them

Yeah, but you're the only one that keeps one in a rack over your bed to jerk off to each night.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think they should do a story warning the public about Ford Pinto's and exploding gas tanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you've never slept with a rifle you're not a hunter nor a soldier.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
If you've never slept with a rifle you're not a hunter nor a soldier.

Who said anything about sleepin'?????

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1100mag, 160user, 02bfishn, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 15,281 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,213
Posts18,543,698
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.