-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
bought my first beretta pistol last week. 40cal,seem to shoot very accurate.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I, personally, can't stand them. But, they are accurate.

BAD experiences with the M9; though, I hear it is FAR less common in the M92FS.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Have a 92FS--( in 9 mm of course) but a similar gun--very accurate, use it for pin shoots at 10 yards and sometimes 50' bullseye and works great.

Best thing is not a single jam or misfire in about 1,200 rounds and bought it new--no breaking in, no fine tuning needed, and this is with 5 different types of ammo including police hollowpoints and commercial reloads.

There's some sexier guns out there, and the 9 mm I use is weak for real pins on pin shoots, but I think you did OK

Last edited by SteveS; 09/29/10.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The guns themselves are stellar. Very high quality. Don't care for decockers myself. I am quite capable of decocking my guns.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had one for quite sometime.. shot lots and lots of stuff thru it.. great gun .. I've got glocks ,revolvers ,1911's and others the beretta is my favorite.

plab

Gotta love them 303's
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
RE, "Good or Bad?"
-----------------

Every Beretta pistol I own (6), is of exemplary quality, dependabity, and accuraracy.

Some folks will not like some of the certain models that I have for reasons of: size, weight, caliber, features, what-ever? ...

But I don't care, I like all my Berettas for what they are - and I am not concerned about 'what' they were never intended to be.

As to the Beretta "92" series pistols, I have:

9MM, Beretta 92 Billennium - (1 of 2000).
9MM, Beretta 92FS Brigadier. (Inox)
9MM, Beretta 92SB Compact-M (Single stack mag, Italian Mfg.)

However, I do not have a Beretta "96FS" (40 S&W) ... Yet!

I think you purchased an excellent pistol. You must have liked it, or you wouldn't have purchased it. I think you'll only grow to like it even more.

Congrats.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I owned a Beretta in the following flavors, .22, .380, 9mm, .40 and liked them all. The Berettas I own(ed) are/were all as high quality a pistol as you could imagine a production pistol to be. I sold the 96FS because over time I didn't like .40, NOT because of the pistol quality or accuracy. So, if you bought a Beretta 96FS, you likely bought a great handgun.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I recently purchased a Beretta 92FS 9mm and I like it a lot. It's been 100 percent reliable so far, but it's not all that accurate. I can shoot five inch groups with it at 25 yards, but I can print around three inches with an accurized 1911. The gun is very comfortable to shoot and is high quality. I've noticed it's particularly easy to clean. Very little powder residue in the receiver. I guess the open slide design allows all the crap to blow out the top. The only thing I'm disapointed with is all the plastic parts. The trigger, mainspring housing, guide rod, magazine release button and thumb lever on the left side of the hammer drop safety are all plastic. I'm sorry. Polymer. They're high quality parts, but they're still plastic.

It's only a name. It could just as easily have been Nosler Partition.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
well ,this one shoots very well .if anyone is interested i got 3 holsters with this gun . i posted them for sale in the classifieds. i'm a lefty and they are righthanded holsters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used and carried a Beretta 96D (DAO version) for a number of years and really liked it. There are some negatives, none of which have adversely affected me. The magazine capacity of 11 (now 12) is pretty minimal for a gun that size. More important, Beretta designed the gun in the 70s and 80s around the 9mm and produced the .40 on the 9mm frame as an afterthought once the .40 S&W craze started. The skeleton slide really takes a beating with the .40. At one point Beretta beefed up the slide with more steel near the locking lug cutouts (Brigadier model), but mine is the original version. Beretta also redesigned their locking blocks over a number of years to combat failures. The 96 is a great gun for the person who shoots a few hundred rounds a year, but I would not rely on it standing up to the beating that a �heavy use� gun will withstand.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I've owned a 96FS for years. Accurate, well made and handles much nicer than most polymer pistols. My only complaint is the most common complaint with 92/96 series, they made them for big hands.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Same as Cheyenne I had the 96D Loved that pistol.

The frames will crack with lots of use. I cracked one. But that was approaching the 11,000 round mark and all duty ammo.

Travis

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Fondle a Model 96 Centurion... I think they are the best of the Model 96's. Massad Ayoob is also partial to them if you want to read his opinion.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The local P.D. used to carry the 40 cal Beretta 96, and I was unimpressed by it -- didn't like the trigger -- it was glitchy, creepy, and stacked and let off. I have shot a few 92's and found the triggers more or less the same. I may have got a poor sampling. My issued sidearm was a Sigarms P229 DAO, and that was a great shooter right out of the box. I shot about 1,200 rounds in 4 days for conversion training, and it only malfunctioned when I set up a malfunction for a drill. Trigger was smooth as silk, and steady pressure made it work as designed - no creep, no stack, no glitches.

That was quite a few years ago, though, so maybe things have changed.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You can swap the hammer spring in a 92/96 for the factory "D" hammer spring. This is the spring made for the DAO and on a standard 92/96, will cut the trigger pull by several lbs in single and double action, without effecting reliability.

The 96FS is the most enjoyable .40 I have to shoot and I have a few. I've always wanted a Sig 229 though. Closest I have is a Sig 2022 in 9mm.

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
IMHO, having owned both a Beretta 92FS Centurion and now a SIG P220, the SIG's have better stock "out of the box" triggers. But a little trigger work on that 92 made it as sweet as any SIG I've shot.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
well made, accurate, and dependable.

personally i hate it. to big for my hands ( life long glock shooter ).

it's big, heavy, terrible trigger, modest capacity for a handgun of that size, and big.

unfortunely i have to carry the big bast#$d. i miss my glock

FJB
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I shot the 92 in the service and found it accurate and comfortable to shoot. My brothers department issued the 96 for many years, but have switched to the Glock. As far as I can tell no one had a problem with the 96 as far as functioning went, but they are a bit large for small hands.

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I used and carried a Beretta 96D (DAO version) for a number of years and really liked it. There are some negatives, none of which have adversely affected me. The magazine capacity of 11 (now 12) is pretty minimal for a gun that size. More important, Beretta designed the gun in the 70s and 80s around the 9mm and produced the .40 on the 9mm frame as an afterthought once the .40 S&W craze started. The skeleton slide really takes a beating with the .40. At one point Beretta beefed up the slide with more steel near the locking lug cutouts (Brigadier model), but mine is the original version. Beretta also redesigned their locking blocks over a number of years to combat failures. The 96 is a great gun for the person who shoots a few hundred rounds a year, but I would not rely on it standing up to the beating that a �heavy use� gun will withstand.

Beretta beefed up the slide on their 32 Tomcat too but not with the purpose of strengthening the slide but rather to add weight to the slide to slow blowback in order to lesson stresses on the frame when the slide slams into the frame. Early Tomcats had frame stress fractures until the heavier slide was introduced.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Foxbat
You can swap the hammer spring in a 92/96 for the factory "D" hammer spring. This is the spring made for the DAO and on a standard 92/96, will cut the trigger pull by several lbs in single and double action, without effecting reliability.

The 96FS is the most enjoyable .40 I have to shoot and I have a few. I've always wanted a Sig 229 though. Closest I have is a Sig 2022 in 9mm.

What is the factory "D" hammer spring? Is that the part number, or do you have a part number?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 257Bob, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,363
Posts18,527,223
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.