Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I've got a bead on a Browning Low Wall in 44 mag and I'm trying to decide whether or not to pick it up...Right now I shoot a Handi-Rifle in 44 mag for Primitive Weapons season here in MS...I'd like to improve on its accuracy and was wondering if the Low Wall would do that...Aside from it being a major step up in "sexiness"...will it shoot better than the handi ?

Thanks
Chase

"To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Without a doubt, it'll look better than the handi in the woods with you - whether or not it's more accurate, is impossible to say.

If it fits you better and has a better trigger, I'm inclined to say "yes".

In our primitive seasons we can't use a scope and the Browning does have pretty good irons.

I'd own the Browning in a heart beat, were it me.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too live in NE Miss and will be using a .357 Low Wall Brng. Mine is very accurate with the tang sight and 190 grain cast boolits. I would jump on the .44 in a heartbeat...

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
That's the way I'm leaning too the way my handing shoots I don't see how it couldn't be more accurate...where in ne ms are u schoolmarm?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
on the Tenn/Tom tween' Columbus and Starkvegas

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I grew up in Columbus

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I have a hi-wall in .454 -- with an XS ghost ring it shoots 1.5" at 100 yds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was born there a looong time ago...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My Low Wall is in 45 Colt. Not 44 magnum, but close. I really like mine. But to say that one rifle is more accurate than another is a difficult thing to do. Personally I much prefer the Low Wall. And I find it to be a better made quality piece, but that is just an opinion. Mine shoots very well out to 250 yards. That is as far as I have shot the rifle. I cast a 255 grain bullet and I can hit 8" cement blocks off of shooting sticks at 250 yards. So you determine whether you believe that is accurate or not??

If you do pass on the 44 magnum then please make us aware of the rifle, and the price. I would be very interested in it for a good price. You can never have too many 1885's.

The only real problem with the Low Wall is the crescent butt pad. It takes time to accustom yourself to them. The first thing I did was contact LeverGun Leather and had him make a custom butt pad that hold five rounds, the pad really helps. The recoil can be sharp with that light rifle and the point of the bottom of the crescent. Tom.

[Linked Image]

West By God Virginia
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine was a 243, I know, not what your asking, but the last 3 shot group before my son shot his first deer in Tx, 2 actually, put the first two into 1/2"........at 200 yds.

Accurate....never heard of one that was not. Well mfg. IMHO.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Well I bought that rifle...I think I did okay...I ended up giving right at $810 for it...It was some "character" but still in great shape...I had to replace the aperture on the tang sight...I'm looking to get a fold down rear sight for the dovetail as well...any suggestions...

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Marble or Williams should make the fold down rear site that you are looking for.. Try Brownells if the usual mail-order houses don't have one..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Buffalo Arms www.buffaloarms.com has a good selection of sights for vintage type single shots. Pretty extensive catalog of goodies to tempt a shooter.

Nice wood on that low wall.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
My Low Wall is in 45 Colt. Not 44 magnum, but close. I really like mine. But to say that one rifle is more accurate than another is a difficult thing to do. Personally I much prefer the Low Wall. And I find it to be a better made quality piece, but that is just an opinion. Mine shoots very well out to 250 yards. That is as far as I have shot the rifle. I cast a 255 grain bullet and I can hit 8" cement blocks off of shooting sticks at 250 yards. So you determine whether you believe that is accurate or not??

If you do pass on the 44 magnum then please make us aware of the rifle, and the price. I would be very interested in it for a good price. You can never have too many 1885's.

The only real problem with the Low Wall is the crescent butt pad. It takes time to accustom yourself to them. The first thing I did was contact LeverGun Leather and had him make a custom butt pad that hold five rounds, the pad really helps. The recoil can be sharp with that light rifle and the point of the bottom of the crescent. Tom.

[Linked Image]

Got any pictures of that butt pad you mentioned?
I HATE crescent butt plates!!

BT53

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats, you did fine.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD

[Linked Image]

Got any pictures of that butt pad you mentioned?
I HATE crescent butt plates!!

Go to the LeverGuns Leather web site. He has pictures of dozens of them there. That is where I got mine. And he did what he said he was going to do, when he said he was going to do it, and for how much he originally said the price would be. Not sure what else you could ask for?? Tom.

West By God Virginia
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
$810 was a decent price. I gave $850 for mine, and that was the best deal I could find. Most people wanted a little more for the 44 magnum. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hogghead, found em. Looks good.

I had heard that the traditional low wall was NOT drilled and tapped for a scope....? True or false?

I've always thought that if I ran into a deal on a .357, that I'd punch it Max and run a small scope. Be a fun rig for plinking to deer + IMO

BT53

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
My low wall was not drilled and tapped...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (300_savage, 14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,646
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.