Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I just found one at a local store, NIB for $375. Now the question is, do I get dies and brass and add this to my arsenal? Do I get it re-chambered to 300WSM for easier brass and ammo availability? Or, do I get a nice custom barrel put on?

My first instinct is to just shoot the damned thing. Get dies and brass and go to load work up. I really would like a nice fluted barrel. If I go that route, what barrel contour, how many flutes, and what cartridge to chamber? I was thinking of a 24" #5 in 300WSM or 6.5WSM. Put it in a McMillan ADL style stock and end up with a nice packable unit that has some "cool" factor. What do you think? Would this end up under 7.5# with bases and rings?

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think the 300 SAUM would be a waste of time. The rifle alone is worth the asking price since it's new, but I'd screw on a new barrel that is chambered for 300 wsm.

And a #3 fluted stainless pac-nor with 6 flutes would be my choice.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks Bear, I was just at the Pac-Nor's website. Does somewhere in the range of $800 sound about right for barrel and install?

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Adding Whizzum case length,to a ShamWow magbox and paying extry to do same,ain't gonna getcha nothing but a bigger bill.

Stay where you is...because you are there..........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
This mag box is the same length as my 270WSM box, both are 700's, so that makes sense. Now, the Model 7 is shorter if I recall.

The only reason I would change to a WSM is due to brass availability down the road. I don't shoot factory ammo, but there is a correlation between brass and ammo. The shop does have 3 boxes of Remington 150gr Core Lokt Ultra on the shelf. Not what I want to shoot, but it very well could be the only 300 Shamu ammo within 300 miles.

Should I run this thing as is, and then rebarrel later if the urge hits? I don't care about the performance differences between them. Even if it is only 50fps faster than a 30-06, I don't care.

Oh, where is Vince with his ShamWow when you need him?

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can't even imagine messing with it until you have shot it! It's perfect as is for that mag box.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
700/Seven's are identical...same goes 600's.

If you are ascared,pop for 200pcs of brass. Brass abounds,for them inclined...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You shouldn't have any problem buying enough brass right now to last you a few lifetimes.

See how it shoots before you dump $800 into a new barrel.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I think I heard on here one time that you should never shoot the donor. Perhaps I will. The worst that can happen is I end up with dies and some brass that someone else will need someday. Who knows, if it shoots good, then a new barrel won't even enter the mind...much.

Thanks for your input guys.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'19 and the 168A-Max is a good testbed...........

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Goose,
as a died-in-the-wool 300SAUM shooter (used in all parts of the US and Africa, my gut says go as is...HOWEVER, the only fly in the ointment might be the throat length vs the mag box length, in other words you might have a lot of jump based on mag box length. Having shot ALOT of rounds thru the 300 in both factory and custom chamberings i have found that most don't tolerate alot of jump for best accuracy. I am currently using Varget,RP cases, 210 primers and 168 TTSXs ( the only TSX version I have been able to get to shoot accurately in MY gun.) My velocity runs right at 3100fps with outstanding accuracy. Just for reference I start at .005 off the lands and work back in .005 increments. Mine likes no more than .015 jump.
Hope this helps,
Bill

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Remmie is pretty good at Linda Lovelacing s/a 30's and doing far better on their 7mm versions of same............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Adding Whizzum case length,to a ShamWow magbox and paying extry to do same,ain't gonna getcha nothing but a bigger bill.

What he said..

Add a McMillan and shoot the hell out of it.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd keep it 300SAUM and not worry a bit about going 300wsm

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My M7 SAUM was a Blacktail and Moose killin machine. But I wanted a 350 more so I re-barreled it. Would have no problem owning one in 300 SAUM again. I've had two. TK

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 7 & 300 shamwows. 7 in a ss seven and the 300 is a gen1 TI. I use the heck out of the ti and when it finally shoots out I'll rebarrel to 7 shamwow. Brass last very well with very little if any stretching. I have no need for any wsm's unless it's a montucky

I saw that rifle the friday. Thought about picking it up and leaving in the box. Figured it would be there for a while so was letting it sit till after elk season. Glad another looney picked it up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The ShamWow is a killer case design and do veddy nice things.

Should it cheer anyone up,I've a 700 based s/a 7 ShamWow that is now punched 7 Whizzum and I couldn't toot that horn.

And I LOVE the 7 Whizzum................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good to know stick. I had always figured worst case I could punch to wsm. But stock pilling brass seems way easier.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Certainly you could punch to Whizzum and there are avenues available there...the 700 moreso ala DBM's,than the Seven.

COAL constraints are a function of multiple factors,with hull length being the initial driving force and such things rate a thunk.

I'd not care to have a 7 ShamWow Montucky,but dote more than a bunch of my brace in 7 Whizzum. A 3.00"+ box do change things and allows more latitude in boolit selection...............

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by Big Stick

What he said..

Add a McMillan and shoot the hell out of it.

What they said,

What the hell advantage are you going to get by going WSM other than spending an ass load more money?

And anyone who disagrees, don't give me the "lack of brass" BS. A person can buy 500 rounds at a time in more than one place right now.

Bill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,710 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,470
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.