Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
........not readily handled or managed in use or action, as from size, shape, or weight?

I love the looks but that 26" tube kinda has me concerned. How will this gun handle in short ranges/brush, since the 45-70 was developed for this purpose? What say you?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I owned one for awhile. It is not going to be as mobile as a shorter barreled gun, but I found it to not be unwieldy at all. I hunted with it some. I would recommend it highly. It is surprisingly light as well.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I own one and haven't found it to be awkward or cumbersome. Have hunted black timber for elk with it which is pretty thick stuff where the shots usually are very fast often at departing game. A shorter barrel may be handier for that type of hunting but I didn't feel handicapped. The only problem I have with it is the straight grip on the stock as it tends to slam the lever into your knuckles with heavy loads.

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
When you consider the fact that years ago our forefathers and later pioneers used firearms of much longer length the whole concept of "brush gun" is quite recent. I may be wrong but when the caliber first came out the firearms chambered for it were anything but short and it was viewed as long range. IMHO

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got an 1895 Marlin XLR that I had cut back to 17". It's the prefect brush gun for my kind of hunting.
Virgil B.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Thank you.

M
M
how does the gun shoot at 100-150 yards.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The difference is 6 inches, how in the world can one believe that will make a big difference in a brush gun?

For one thing you don't know in advance where the brush will be 20 inches aways or it can be 26 inches away! smile..I have used many a 26 inch barreled gun on dangerous game in some real thick stuff without any problem and in some cases that longer tube will settle much faster on the target..I have used both carbines and rifles hunting elk and deer in some real thick stuff and one was as good as the other.

Keep in mind the old timers used long barrels and mostly because the held better offhand and for snap shooting..Probably a good idea to try them before you make up your mind that a long barrel is inefficient in the thick stuff...Its as good as a carbine or maybe better...I shoot both, but can't tell any difference.

Most folks have just accepted the printed word that a long barrel is a hinderence in the bush and they have done so without using both and they will go to there grave in many cases believing that because some "expert" said it was so..

One may be preferable to you over the other in that it may feel better and fill your heart with joy, and that is the only reason you should choose one over the other, the rest is hockey IMO...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I like mine a lot. For me, it is a short barrel gun as I usually carry guns with 30", 32" or 42" tubes on them. I have carried a 22" barrel Marlin 336 30-30 and don't feel the Marlin '95 CB is any more cumbersome in the timber. Some folks don't like the straight grip, but most of my rifles have that setup, so I'm used to it. Find one at a gun shop or gun show and handle it, that's really the only good way to tell if you'd be happy with one.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I agree with Ray. My Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited in 45 Colt is an excellent hunting rifle. The 24" barrel isn't an issue. It all comes down to preference.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've hunted all over the southeast and it gets pretty thick. I can't remember one single time when I wished my 22"-26" rifles had a shorter barrel...

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
the 2 i had handled like fine shotguns.. i was stunned at the excellent balance and quickness to point. weight felt 1-2 pounds lighter than listed. balance was perfect. if your 4" to close to a tree just move one of your feet smile

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Length is perfect. I tend to like long barrels, my favorite bolt rifle being a 1929 vintage Husqvarna sporter with a 25-26" barrel in 9.3x57.

I just wish the 1895 cowboy was a little heavier, in my opinion it is too light, recoil gets to be a problem. I had it out at the range last Friday and some folks who were shooting 7mm & 300 Win mags saw how it was moving me and decided to pass on shooting it when given the chance. About 20 rounds of mid level loads off a bench is all I care for,

I do have a Win 1886 takedown repro in 45-70 which is at the other end of the spectrum, It's too heavy and with a crescent buttplate is not pleasant to shoot off a bench, offhand it's great. Barrel length on the two are the same.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Between the 1895CB and the 1895 STBL that I have, I like the Cowboy the best for looks, handling and shooting. I am totally convinced that you can aquire and track your target faster with a longer barreled rifle than a short light wieght carbine. The only time a short barrel is handier is when you have it on your back as you work your way through brush.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The 1895 LTD III has the good looks of the Cowboy and the handiness of the Guide Gun.
[Linked Image]

I have both the CB and the LTD III, plus I've had the guide gun (2 of em) and the 22" PG grip 1895. When it is steep and thick, I do appreciate the shorter barrel. The Cowboy is my favorite though.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I got my 1895 CB used, already with a super slick action job by a fellow cowboy action shooter. I reshaped the stock to look more like the antique 1895's and added a Marble tang sight. I had the gun checkered in a classic pattern and added a Wild West trigger. It's really smooth with a super trigger.

Photos are of this gun and my Pedersoli Sharps, both 45-70.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by WetDog
The 1895 LTD III has the good looks of the Cowboy and the handiness of the Guide Gun.
[Linked Image]

I have both the CB and the LTD III, plus I've had the guide gun (2 of em) and the 22" PG grip 1895. When it is steep and thick, I do appreciate the shorter barrel. The Cowboy is my favorite though.

Hey WetDog, is that you long range rifle? That's a handy looking rifle but I'll bet it does not balance as well as the CB's. Now if Marlin would just make it in 38-55........

. laugh

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 57 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,984
Posts18,480,969
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.