Print Thread
Hop To
N
no_one Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N

A local rice grower came around and asked me to assist him with his firearm, apparently it would not chamber a round, �no problem old mate� I told him.

Then he brought the rifle inside��it was at some time a plastic stocked Zastava in .223, the wrist had been broken and repaired by using roofing tek screws through a couple of pieces of �� plate�.which may have worked if he had screwed the teks in flush, and not left them hanging out 3/8� on either side.

The firearm had been sitting for the last five years in his shed, and when he tried to chamber a round today it got stuck�.so he belted the bolt handle and broke the extractor�great, another thing to play with!

He insisted that the rifle just needed a clean and all would be right with the world�so I attempted to clean the chamber and found that it was half filled by a big lump of rust.
I chiselled the rust out with a cleaning rod and smoothed the lumps with a large piece of steel wool around a jag�.next came the barrel.
Having learnt my lesson I wrapped a 6mm (yes...I did say 6mm) patch around a PH jag and pushed it through the barrel�..(actually, I could have dropped a 25 cal jag and patch through it).

After a lot of scouring I managed to close the rotten thing on a shell�.he was happy�.and I was happy I did not have to resort to the use of an angle grinder!

Somewhere out of town tonight there is a fellow driving around his rice bays in a $70 000.00 4x4 shooting at ducks with a piece of rubbish that may or may not blow his head off his shoulders�.and if he survives each shot, he will be knocking each expended shell out with a lump of wire that he proudly displayed for that very same purpose�no, not a cleaning rod�a piece of bloody fencing wire!

And to put icing on the cake he did not even have the good grace to be embarrassed, he should have been�.I WAS !!!!!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No picture?...

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
N
no_one Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I so shocked that I never even gave it a thought.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amazing. I'm sure that our smiths here could fill a book with "can you believe this..." stories.

I'm always amazed at how trivially folks treat a potential bomb they hold next to their face.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
N
no_one Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I told him that I would not use it for anything on God's green Earth.

He just did not care.....seriously, what can you say to that.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seen quite a few over the years that I flat refused to "fix" because I knew who they would sue when it did blow up or fire when it wanted to. No not any Remington's in the bunch.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

N
no_one Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
After shooting for a lively-hood for eighteen years.....I never once had a problem caused by design with any Remington, although I once saw a clip-in Remington extractor that another 'roo shooter had broken, does that count?

On the other hand, I have seen a bucket load of rifles destroyed by tossers through sheer and utter neglect.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been my experience here, haven't seen a "faulty" Remington come through yet. Lots of "bubbad" most anything however.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hey guys, there are 2 kinds of REAL rifles. There are the $4000 custom jobs that most of us can't afford, and there are the old jewels that belongs to Great Granddaddy that we'd LOVE to take a deer with just to refresh family history. This is clearly not the former.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
no_one Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
No, it just has to go bang and scare ducks off the rice....which is a good thing as there is no way in hell it could be relied upon to hit anything.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well I guess you'll never know his fate..unless you see the buzzards circling!!! grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Welcome to my world.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll bet you have all calibers of fence wire in your shop to tackle similar problems laugh....this would be a great thread "So you really wanta blow your head off ?" grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 222Sako, 53 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,704
Posts18,534,752
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.