Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a 243 with a 24" barrel that has gotten no use in many years due to an accurate 6mm Rem already owned. I would like to rechamber to something a little faster, to spark an interest in it's use.
<br>
<br>The 243 AI would probably be close to the 6mm Rem performance, so I am considering the 244 Rem Ack Imp or the 6/284 chambering. I'm told the 284 cases have thicker webs than the 243 or 6mm cases so should be able to handle the pressures better. I'm not sure if this is true, or if the 24" barrel would realize any of the advantages of the larger 284 case.
<br>
<br>If a rebarrel is in order, a larger caliber would be used, but would prefer to get some mileage on this one.
<br>
<br>Your expertise is more than appreciated .

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First,the obvious. The difference between the 243 and it's Ackley Improved version.
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Secondly,the differences.
<br>
<br>In my opinion,the 243Ackley is perfectly housed in a 24" barrel length. Friends have them in 22",24",26" and 27.5". Further,it excells in a short action 700's mag box,the 6mm does not(with heavier(longer) bullets).
<br>
<br>The 6-284 is better served with a longer barrel and is at it's best,when pushing heavier bullets. It really doesn't give up that much,until projectile weight increases and then it shows it's muscle. You mention wanting something,"a little faster",so I'm assuming the heavier bullets won't interest you?
<br>
<br>65's will go over 4000fps,85's will go 3500fps,that should give you an idea of the velocity window.
<br>
<br>I'm hot on the 243AI,because I've seen it in action(lots). Another pard built a 6-284 to trounce the Boys 243AI's,his wore a 26" barrel. With the light-midweights,he simply burned more powder,to do the same thing. When going to heavy bullets,where it shines,the magazine box issue fouled him.
<br>
<br>Like everything else,it is give and take. In a 24" barrel,I'd walk past a herd of 6mmRems,6mmRemAI's and 6-284's,to pick up a 243Ackley. Assuming a $700 check in the mail,to cover a new barrel to my liking,new brass and great dies? I'd be writing 243AI,in the memo.
<br>
<br>It very much impresses me..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
To me...it is illogical to rechamber to something that is like what you already have.
<br>
<br>The 6mm is pretty good. Is your action long enough to ream your chamber to that?
<br>
<br>What I'd be thinking about is something else in the 308 family...say, 260, 7-08, .308 or maybe .358. Like I said, you already got a pretty mean 6mm gun, do you need (want) 2 of em?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi Cannon. I have a Pre-Garcia SAKO Forrester L579 heavy barrel in 243 with a 24" tube. I have it for sale or trade right now. If it does not sale, I thought of doing the ackley with the existing boofers barrel.
<br>
<br>Big Stick. I like Serria 85 BTHP, and Hornady 100 SP. What kind of improvement can I expect with these two bullets?
<br>
<br>GB

Last edited by Georgia Boy; 01/07/02.
Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Big Stick
<br>
<br>Thanks for the extra effort in steering me in the AI direction. That is one impressive looking little bugger.
<br>
<br>I didn't mention what gun this was cause I didn't think there would be any replies if it was known this is a Parker-Hale (blush) Oh well, waste not want not, right.
<br>I've had this thing for a dozen years and had no inclination to use it, so thought that improving it might get it out of the closet,(grin) without throwing any unrecoverable money at it.
<br>
<br>I just finished shooting a few 3 shot groups with some old Smith & Wesson 100 grn ammo to try out my home cooked bedding job. The best it would do before was 1.5- 2" , it's down to .5- .75". (Maybe I just put a little more effort into it today). It should only improve with some fireformed reloads and I will definitely throw 90 bucks at it for a new chamber.
<br>
<br>I'll probably give it to one of my sons as a deer ,coyote gun when I've finished playing with it, so the heavier bullets would probably be the choice here. The 243 AI makes the most sense, but there is a lot of mag space left over. Considering the 24" barrel, and my not wanting to overspend making a silk purse from a sows ear, and your vast experience with this round my decision should be clear. Much appreciated

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Welcome to The Dark Side.........(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
GB,
<br>
<br>First,whatcha want for trade and cash?
<br>
<br>Second,100's are not my penchant,so I could offer zero help in that Dept. The 85's will go 3500fps,be it the 85gr XLC or a moly 87gr V-Max(very similar BC's,great loads to interchange).
<br>
<br>200fps across the board,would be no surprise..............

Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
slinky
<br> These are good points you brought up, but I went through a stage in life( that lasted for twenty five years or so) where I had to have one in every caliber. I quit buying them about when the .260 came out, so I don't have that one yet.(grin) This 243 just wouldn't sell , even though if my empies were counted, she has less than 50 rnds through it. It's a duplication, but if it don't work out, it will get a barrel in a stouter round.
<br>
<br>I've been weeding them out and doing some improved rounds. The benifits are many.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've played with the 6mmRem quite a bit too. Thought it only fair,to give a visual of it,in comparison. This sorta illustrates that mag box confines can be an issue,with the 6mmRem and it's Improved version...............
<br>[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Geez Stick, those things in the middle look just plain NASTY! I just have to stop checking your posts, it's starting to cost me money! grin- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sheister,
<br>
<br>You got it ALL wrong. It isn't really "money". It is an INVESTMENT(grin)............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick,
<br>
<br> Tell my investment counselor that, he's reading these posts too. He even calls me now when I want to spend some money! [Linked Image] If he wasn't a hunter and someone you already know (and talk to on a regular basis) I think I'd have to take his advice, dadgum it! - [Linked Image] - Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sheister,[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>This is why I LOVE the 25-284,for a sanitary little Hunting rifle. She's got the MOJO in spades.
<br>
<br>I'm trying to get your Counselor's mind right,he's a tough one to crack. If I had any money,I'd be havin' him counsel me. Beings I don't,I'll keep building rifles and Investin',the Old Fashioned way......he he he ha................
<br>
<br>(Damn fat fingers of mine!)

Last edited by Big Stick; 01/07/02.

Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Big Stick
<br>
<br>In your opinion, if the mag box isn't a constriction, is the 6Rem. Improved too much of a good thing with the 24" barrel and 85-100 grain bullets ? I'm obviously slow to catch on, but the longer necks of the 6 Rem. intrigue me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Canon,
<br>
<br>You aren't slow,it is that there are numerous routes,to get to the Finish line.
<br>
<br>If you are wanting to drive the heavier bullets faster,then the bigger engine starts making better sense. But the more efficient 243AI case(less overbore) will make more effective use out of a 24" tube. There is zero doubt,in sufficient length barrels,that the 6mmAI and 6-284,will make better speeds,but the percentage of gain isn't that impressive,in comparison.
<br>
<br>The 243Ackley melds many traits,that are important to me. It is of enough capacity to do the job(there ALWAYS something bigger/"better".). It excels with a wide spectrum of weights,but the heaviest offerings never interest me,in any chambering. If I want to shoot 100's,I'll step up to the 25-284 or bigger cases.
<br>
<br>Superb dies are available(though that is true of most cartridges mentioned,thus far in this discussion). Brass is literally free(in comparison). It isn't horribly abusive to barrels. She's just easy to like,regarding everything.
<br>
<br>If you want/need more,it is certainly available. If that itch is that strong,I'd step up to the 25-284(short action) or 25-06Ackley/257Wby (long action).
<br>
<br>For what I'd do with a 6mm,there is no better vehicle than the 243Ackley. Your tastes and "needs" may be different..........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dammit Stick, now you've got me going too. That 243 Ack just looks BAD!!!! I happen to have a Model 7 Youth in 243. Guess I'd have to put a longer pipe on it to make use of those extra beans, huh?[Linked Image] badger

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Big Stick
<br>
<br>I have to agree with your reasoning. This is quite comparable to the .300 Win Imp. RUM performance with less everything, yet most who look at it , cast serious doubt. I'll try figure out how to post a visual, so you can have a look. This will probably take awhile so I'll do it on a new post. Thanks for the nudge, now I'm thinking my 6mm don't shoot THAT good, and she'd be happier in one of them 284 variations.[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big Stick. I have the Sako advertised locally for $650. Included is a set of 1" Factory Sako rings that were purchased origanally with the rifle. I want a Remington PSS in 308 or the LTR. I can still get those two offerings without getting HERPIES (the "Wart").
<br>
<br>Anyway, I have never shot the Sako. I got it from an older gentlemen last year. He bought it new in 1977, and it has been in his closet scince 1979.
<br>
<br>Really cant make up my mind what to do with it. Hope it sales so I want have to look at it so often. My other children are getting jealous.
<br>
<br>The old addage "They dont make um like they use too." Certainly fits here.
<br>
<br>GB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,677
Posts18,534,241
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.