Campfire Regular
I usually get one.
They work.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I used to get one; until I saw someone felled to G-B from the shot, and yes, his doctors will flat tell you that the shot is what did it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never. I trust the folks making and pushing the flu shots as much as I trust my government. My Creator made my immune system perfect and as long as I do my part, i.e., eat well, take my supplements, exercise, practice good personal hygiene, get proper rest...thus far it's worked well for me for 49 years.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
my dad almost died from whooping cough. he got it the same time he had his tonsils removed when he was a kid
I could easily understand that... I got it 6 months before a 10-11K foot hunt in CO and figured I'd die up there anyway.... but I had it gone before then by a month luckily.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
I used to get one; until I saw someone felled to G-B from the shot, and yes, his doctors will flat tell you that the shot is what did it.

risk in everything.....surprised i aint picked up anthrax yet, has come out of the ground and killed cattle where i grew up running around in the hills and creek bottom....infact i had walked that ground a couple weeks before.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Whip
Never. I trust the folks making and pushing the flu shots as much as I trust my government. My Creator made my immune system perfect and as long as I do my part, i.e., eat well, take my supplements, exercise, practice good personal hygiene, get proper rest...thus far it's worked well for me for 49 years.

Yep, hope you don't go to the doctors either. Just let the maker handle it all.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a very interesting discussion..I have no medical training so if I'm wrong please correct me.I thought the flu vaccine was specifically targeted against one strain to be effective and never thought it was a catch all remedy for other strains and the common cold..I know as many friends who take it as don't and from what I hear their results are the same.

Maybe strong immune systems are genetic by nature.My dad's side of the family seemed always well, hardly got the flu or even colds but mom's side was completely opposite...

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Maybe strong immune systems are genetic by nature.My dad's side of the family seemed always well, hardly got the flu or even colds but mom's side was completely opposite...

varies i think, one of my sisters and i are polar opposites.....she had strep near year round and i have never had it or atleast never bad enough to go to the doc for it....we both get sinus infections but where mine tend to run their course in 10 days without any outside help but heavy doses of hot chinese food here linger for a month even with the strongest antibiotics....

funny thing is neither her nor i get infected cuts or the like.....she grew up out running around on our grandparents farm with me and after getting our legs tore up on the thorns of rose and bulberry bushes we would hit the stock pond looking for turtles knee deep in black sludge....drives my wife nuts that i dont bother with antibiotic creams or bandage much up.....unless i got a sliver buried i never get an infected cut.....atleast that part of her and my immune system is tempered in chit grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i think that's why a lot of kids get sick so easy now a days. their parents don't let them get dirty and play in grud. heck i grew up playing in the dirty ditch water and what not. kids never get exposed to it so their immune systems can't fight it. plus good genetics my great grandmother lived to 114 and most of my relatives have lived well into their 90s

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty much sums that up for me too..with all my constuction over the years and working around yucky stuff like septic tanks/drainfields and generally funky schitt that accompanies renovation projects,never had an infection or got sick.Of course I'm not a nose picker either!!! grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my major problem is my lungs went apechit on me at about 8 years old.....was like flipping a switch went from fine to severe asthma damn quick.....no clue why, didnt grow up in anything remotely close to a sterile environment.....still have it though not as bad as when i was younger.....

i drive my wife nuts, ignore my asthma till im at well under 50% lung capacity, she freaks when she hears me wheezing and at that point it aint even on my radar.....so long as i can get the bleeding stopped i dont do bandages and only bandage stuff when i dont want to bleed on job work grin

nearly 9 years together and she still hasnt figured out i just dont get infections even after she has watched me help brand all day be cut and scrapped up, covered in dried cow chit and dont bother cleaning up till the end of the day.....she figures my hands gonna rot off crazy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, every year... no side effects for me... no flu either.

Please don't feed the trolls!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Like many of the previous posters I didn't think I needed a flu shot, then I contracted the flu five years ago. I had no underlying health issues that put me at risk, but the flu put me on my back for almost two weeks. I was so sick that I thought death may have been an option to improve my condition. I've been getting flu shot ever since with no ill effects. In my opinion the benefits far outweigh the risks, which after careful study seem to be be very low.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i think that's why a lot of kids get sick so easy now a days. their parents don't let them get dirty and play in grud. heck i grew up playing in the dirty ditch water and what not. kids never get exposed to it so their immune systems can't fight it. plus good genetics my great grandmother lived to 114 and most of my relatives have lived well into their 90s

My thoughts as well. I didn't get sick all that much when I was a kid. Don't that much now either. My grandma's are 92 and 97.
My wife is a teacher. After being exposed to everything under the sun her first year, she very rarely even gets a cold now. Neither of us get the flu shot. I'm not sure I've ever had it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Re, Fubarski: "Not unless it comes in a shot glass."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're right. A shot in a glass, beats a shot in the ass.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
In the ass? What kind of doctor you going to?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I must have drunk the koolaid. I get the flu shot.

I believe in vaccinations. Antibodies are modular. They key to the exterior proteins on the virus. My mental picture is of modeling clay molding to the pebbling on a basketball. The pebbling changes a little from year-to-year. Many of the antibodies will still key-in-lock fit to the exterior while a few will not. Yes the virus will mutate, but a gang tackle by 5 is nearly as effective as a gang tackle by 6.

Our bodies are wonderful things.

-Joe

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Why did they put the h1n1 vaccine into the flu shots for this year? They could not peddle the h1n1 shots so they did an end run and put into the regular flu shot. Another government nanny state intrusion on our freedom.

Flightmaster

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I travel overseas a lot and got one here at work. Figure it won't hurt and they already innoculate for tons of stuff so why not.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FLIGHTMASTER
Why did they put the h1n1 vaccine into the flu shots for this year? They could not peddle the h1n1 shots so they did an end run and put into the regular flu shot. Another government nanny state intrusion on our freedom.

Flightmaster

no its pretty well based on science.....it has killed 14,000 ppl and is a threat....based on pretty sound science not scare factors.....just cause it didnt spread as bad one year as they thought dont mean its still not a threat....and the general procedure is one or two strains from the year before and one or two new strains in each years vaccine.....the fact that H1N1 is in the vaccine should not be a surprise, the surprise would be if it wasnt in there.....

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (30incher, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 257_X_50, 348winchester, 49 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,753
Posts18,476,304
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.