Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 515 of 1,842 1 2 513 514 515 516 517 1841 1842
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That brings up a good question Bill. How often do you have to adjust a scope once it has been sighted in correctly? On my slug gun, i have made 2 extremely minor adjustments (1 click each time) in 15 years. On my rifle, I had to make about 12 clicks from the last time I used it in 2008. In the rifle's defense, it bounced around on a horse in a scabbard for 6 long days. What has been your experience boys and gurla's?

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I check my stuff but I don't need to adjust unless I change loads.

Of course pretty much everything I have is free float & bed.

decent mounts & rings nice & tight.

Well except for my winchester 88 that's got weaver pivots on it. I wouldn't call them "decent" and the rifle aint bed either. So I expect that one to move on me a tish if any of them do.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave,
Will you and tzone be meeting in Duluth prior to the deer season again this year? I saved last year's photo from the Duluth News Tribune. grin grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Oof, Duluth is Minnesota's very own San Francisco.

Ick.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Tshirt fits great Pam.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Scope trouble on the 6.5 Bill?

What is the rifle & cartridge exactly? Jap? Credemore? Swede? Other?

6.5 X 55 Swede Dave in a Tikka T3. Scope is an older 2 x 6 Burris Signiture. Optics are still good but I had problems with the windage adjustment. It holds just fine, but the amount of movement per click is a best guess. Apparently my guessing game was off today.

The scope is nearly 20 years old and has served me well, but it probably time to retire it after the season.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
No Dusty will likely be the first one out there.

I try to make a point of being the second one out there.

That way I don't have to stop and open the gate and the wood stove is already lit when I get there.

grin

M.M.M. singing in my head "That's cowboy logic...."

Support your local brewer.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Berettaman
That brings up a good question Bill. How often do you have to adjust a scope once it has been sighted in correctly? On my slug gun, i have made 2 extremely minor adjustments (1 click each time) in 15 years. On my rifle, I had to make about 12 clicks from the last time I used it in 2008. In the rifle's defense, it bounced around on a horse in a scabbard for 6 long days. What has been your experience boys and gurla's?

BM I check mine every year. The rifles get bounced around pretty good going in and out of camp. My 700 Rem is the most reliable as it wears a B & C synthetic stock. The action is glass bedded and the barrel is free floated. The only time I have to adjust it is if I work up a new load to try or have removed the action from the stock.

The Tikka is new this year so we'll see how well it holds it's zero. It's has a wood stock, but is bedded and floated too.

My Ruger #1 will normally require some minor tuning each year. The #1's have a 2 piece stock and the forearm screw is noted for being touchy.

Field notes: Make it a point to check your scope mounts and action screws annually. If they're loose you're going to have to resight in the rifle after you tighten them. Investing in a torque wrench that works in inch pounds and a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers is a wise thing to do.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by SKane
Dave,
Will you and tzone be meeting in Duluth prior to the deer season again this year? I saved last year's photo from the Duluth News Tribune. grin grin

[Linked Image]

Gota be one of the best pictures of Tzone I've ever seen. laugh

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
oh boy, he aint gonna like that much grin

Something clever here.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
I voted, did you?

Yep. Last week.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is the official one....color must have been off a little. grin

Ready to hunt now:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Oof, Duluth is Minnesota's very own San Francisco.

Ick.

Naw... Minneapolis is worse. I can't believe Scott has that type of stuff on his computer.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bill,
I check mine every year too, that is how I know how often it has been off on my slug gun. I have some cheap mounts on the rifle, I am gonna swap them out for some Tallys.

I voted too. twice before lunch and 3 times now after lunch. grin vote early and often folks, it is the democratic way. confused

Hey Tzone, are you gonna go deer hunting this year or not? Make up your mind, would ya?

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
oh boy, he aint gonna like that much grin

Paybacks are a bish.

I probably won't do anything to them anyway. They're packers fans, so they suffer every day.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Berettaman

Hey Tzone, are you gonna go deer hunting this year or not? Make up your mind, would ya?

I got all kinds of deer hunting.

I'll be at the range camp for the last time here on the 1st weekend. Then I'll be north of Duluth mon., tue, wed, then I'm heading up to chickenbuck VERY, VERY, VERY, early in the morning on Friday.

I done found myself a temp. maintenance job that's putting a damper on my gear prep though.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So tell us T, have you put any thought into deer hunting this year? Are you excited at all?

I gotta go find my deer hunting gear in all of my elk hunting gear and the other gear that is just kinda dumped in my temporary hunting room. but that will be another day, prolly Thurs. Tonite, the kids and I are gonna go crusin' around looking to catch a glimpse of a nice buck in our area. The kids bring their play guns and shoot every deer we see about 50 times over! Then, they pick them up and eat them whole. Usually about 2 chews and the whole deer is gone. I keep telling them, hey, we dont shoot Texas sized deer here, we have big deer it will take more than a mouthful to eat one of ours!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yep, I'm excited. I'll get really excited for second weekend. That is when I'm headed north to chickenbuck.

Just got in from playing baseball and looking at buck rubs. I had to show the little guy how to make a rub, then we made a scrape. One of us pee'd in it. grin I'm not tellin' who but he's shorter than me.

My gear is in labeled boxes in the storage under the stairs. not hard to find. I still need to wash it. I get about 5 calls a night from my dad askin' me to bring extra stuff. Cots, extra orange, chain saw. Then I need to grease the plow truck for him before we head out. He's still pretty limited on what he can do with one arm.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Grunt, grunt, snort.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
I voted, did you?

Yep. Last week, yesterday and today.

Just as I thought, you're from Chicago! laugh laugh

Page 515 of 1,842 1 2 513 514 515 516 517 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 21, 61 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.